gratuities for kids

I know the current price went up per day for gratuities to 12.95 now, but do they charge the same for children? Upcoming cruise in Aug we will have an 8 year old with us, never cruised with a child so don't know how that works out.

I know the current price went up per day for gratuities to 12.95 now, but do they charge the same for children? Upcoming cruise in Aug we will have an 8 year old with us, never cruised with a child so don't know how that works out.

The gratutities are the same for each person, regardless of age

Grats are not charged for the people under the age of 2. But all people should be tipping. They will be getting the same service as the adults.

and your cabin steward will make your kid feel like royalty.

Grats are not charged for the people under the age of 2. But all people should be tipping. They will be getting the same service as the adults.

and your cabin steward will make your kid feel like royalty.

Not true, gratuities are charged for all passengers no matter what their age.

Not true, gratuities are charged for all passengers no matter what their age.

well then someone got ripped off since we were not charged for an 18 month old. (we did tip in cash for her at the end of the week though)

Gratuities are the same regardless of age.

The gratutities are the same for each person, regardless of age

To the OP : And your point is what exactly ??

The kids are more of a burden to the wait staff than adults.

Tip the wait staff and cabin stewards, and tip them well.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
Lynn is beautiful. GO L Y N N

But you raise a good point. They should charge higher gratuities for kids if you think about it!

Maybe for your kid. Some would argue though that gratuities are not something to be charged though. Kids should certainly not be charged a higher service fee, and if they have responsible parents in the vicinity they should probably be charged less.

everyone regardless of age is expected to pay the same amount in gratuities.

well then someone got ripped off since we were not charged for an 18 month old. (we did tip in cash for her at the end of the week though)

Then you realized you should have been but weren't and tipped accordingly? I applaud that - not many would have been as honest and therefore no one got ripped off.

Maybe for your kid. Some would argue though that gratuities are not something to be charged though. Kids should certainly not be charged a higher service fee, and if they have responsible parents in the vicinity they should probably be charged less.

why do you think that?

Kids eat. they make a mess( sometimes a much LARGER ONE than even the drunkest or slobbiest of adults) in the dining room.

the ones in diapers generate a whole lot more(stinky) work for the cabin steward.

so unelss Mom and dad personally dispose of every diaper, in the main waste disposal area( not by dumping it in the wastebasket in the bathroom) and bring their oiwn hand vaccuum into the MDR to suck up thecracker crumbs and make every bed up and pull every dirty tee shirt off the couch and spend the extra time desmudging the bathroom mirror.....

the gratuities should be paid..IN FULL

The OP asked a question. I don't think there was any attempt to make a point...

Agreed. OP hasn't cruised with a child before so the question is valid.

For what it's worth, with the link provided in an above reply, many (dare I say most?) questions can be answered by using the FAQ's on the website.

Wow I just think the OP asked a question since they do not normally travel with children. I didn't hear op say they didn't think they should tip or that they were not planning on it. I think when you aren't used to traveling with children you prob would not give this issue much thought. [emoji267]

I could not agree more with this statement.

I'll bet you thought this was just a simple question. Now see what you started.:)

you don't have to pay tips,go to guest relations get them took off and pay what you feel is right for the service you receive,oh and enjoy your cruise:):)

I agree. I personally think under the age of 5?6? Should not cruise but that's just my opinion. As a parent I would think it would be to much work. But then again I may feel different some day when I become a grandparent who knows. [emoji267]

just leave them under the stairs with a bowl of water for a week while you go and enjoy your cruise:(

just leave them under the stairs with a bowl of water for a week while you go and enjoy your cruise:(

That is not an opition at all, and one thinks that you are being silly :D

There are great parents out there, as described by some here, but then there are others

really.

Edited by P&O Lynn Knickers
GO L Y N N