Passport Application Frustration

Monday she will get her new b/c and mail it in. I am hoping that this isn't going to take another 9 weeks as we will have already gone on our cruise before then. Every time she checked the status for the family, it was the same message saying they received it and were working on it and it takes 4-6 weeks. What a bunch of malarkey!

I suggest she get 2 copies. One to mail in with Passport application and one just in case the Passport and paperwork don't come in time.

I suggest she get 2 copies. One to mail in with Passport application and one just in case the Passport and paperwork don't come in time.

That is a great suggestion,but she has an enhanced drivers license that she can use so she really won't need to have her birth certificate. Thanks though.

That is a great suggestion,but she has an enhanced drivers license that she can use so she really won't need to have her birth certificate. Thanks though.

Well that's some good news then. At least she won't be in danger of missing the cruise. Fingers crossed for her Passport to come, though!

No suggestions....just sympathy. :( For the amount of money they charge you to apply for a passport...they don't do a very good job handling the application process. And their 'customer service' is downright comical. My experience hasn't been much better.......

I've got sole legal custody of my son and all the documents to prove it. Applied for his passport at the beginning of Feb (we sail 7/10). At the beginning of March, I get a letter stating they need his fathers permission (form they need filled out and notorized and copy of a photo id). I called them....argued that I shouldn't need his father's permission if I have sole legal custody of the child (per all of THEIR documentation). I finally got tired of arguing.....I realized that I was going to be out the app fees if I didn't try to get the paperwork they wanted.

It took me a couple of weeks to get this. I sent it off (Priority mail with tracking) in the envelope they provided around mid March. I saw (via tracking) them rec it....refuse it (?!?!).... and it make its way back to my house. I called them....sent it back again overnight. They signed for it. This puts us at about the third week in April. I've been calling/checking status online since then and all I get is that they're 'processing it'. Then, last week (it's now June)...I get a letter from them stating they need a copy of my son's father's ID. The same one that was in the letter they signed for over a month ago!!! I called....they claim they never rec'd it. So now I have to get another copy (yes...my fault for not making duplicate copies to begin with) and hope they don't lose this one too. :mad:

I know this is of no help to OP, but thought I'd mention my recent experience with renewing an adult passport. I decided on expedited processing with overnight delivery, which was an extra $74.85 in addition to the $110.00 passport renewal fee. I received my new passport in the mail 12 calendar days from the day I mailed in the renewal request. I thought it was well worth the extra money to have this quick service.

Edited by nwcruiselover

Try to get a state issued ID and use that with the birth certificate. You can get one same day at the driver's license office...make sure you take all required documents. They are very inexpensive and your mind will be at ease in case the passport does not get to you in time for sailing. Our kids have been on 14 cruises with just a state ID and a birth certificate.

Not all states give a "same day" ID. You're lucky if yours does.

This is the most convoluted situation that I have ever seen on CC regarding a passport. I suspect that a number of documents are missing from the application. OP has sent in the following:

·

• Birth Certificate
  • Custody Papers
  • Death Certificate on biological father
  • Court documentation on Mother's whereabouts being unknown and the fact that she's been suspended from any contact with us or our grandson.

What could possibly be missing? Easy. You either need the court’s permission to get the passport or you need the mother’s permission or an order terminating her parental rights. Based on what OP has said her court order doesn’t terminate the mother’s rights and that is part of the delay.

OP: You should plan on cruising without a passport, but make sure you have court authority to take the child out of the country or the mother’s permission or you are going to have real trouble when you get to the ship.

Thanks again all. Zqvol, they have documentation in the court order that we have rights to apply for passport (among many other things). As to the mothers whereabouts that is anyone's guess, including the feds. No one can locate her. Believe me, we have all tried. All in all, even if they want to deny the application, I would be okay with that. I just want my documents back.

Thanks again all. Zqvol, they have documentation in the court order that we have rights to apply for passport (among many other things). As to the mothers whereabouts that is anyone's guess, including the feds. No one can locate her. Believe me, we have all tried. All in all, even if they want to deny the application, I would be okay with that. I just want my documents back.

Sounds like you have everything that you need. As far as speeding your application up, all I can say is good luck. If you live in Congressman Duncan's district I can assure you that Jimmy''s office will do everything they can to help you.

Call the Atlanta passport office right now (details here) http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/atlanta-passport-agency.html and get an appointment asap. These are the people who can expedite your passport, or rather just issue you another one. Don't use an agent to get you one, they are only ever going to do the minimum and this sounds like a complicated situation. At the passport office you will speak with a government employee who is the most likely person who can help you.

Call the Atlanta passport office right now (details here) http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/where-to-apply/agencies/atlanta-passport-agency.html and get an appointment asap. These are the people who can expedite your passport, or rather just issue you another one. Don't use an agent to get you one, they are only ever going to do the minimum and this sounds like a complicated situation. At the passport office you will speak with a government employee who is the most likely person who can help you.

If you have duplicates of your documentation, this is your best chance! Go to Atlanta & get the passport in person.

More time & money, but you'll have it. Good luck!

The person you really need to contact is your local state Representative. They have a whole department that really does nothing but deal with things like this and they are amazing!

Since you only have 1 week though it may be an issue at this point. But I will say we had a lot of issues with my oldest DS's 1st passport. I had to keep providing documentation that I was his birth mother.... :rolleyes: But after calling the State Representative for the state he was born in, we had his passport with-in 2 weeks.

I almost feel there is a "flag" on some people or names in the system. I just got my oldest DS's 1st adult passport in the mail last week. The application was "processing" and they needed AGAIN all kinds of stuff repeatedly. We filled it in December....

I wish you the best of luck getting it straightened out or getting the other documentation you need!

State Representative? I don't think so! They have zero contact with Federal Government. If you want to stay at the State level, the Governor is the only one who might have any influence. Much better to contact your Congressman or Senator.

But it seems too late for that now. Of the advice above, were it me I would be driving to Atlanta. Good luck!

I would not count on a state Congressman or Senator, Federal Agencies have up to 2-3 weeks before they are required to respond to such a request from a representative. At the same time I would not leave any stone unturned... the suggestion to contact a passport service for help sounds like a good one to me, they are use to dealing with the State Dept on emergency situations.

So I would probably do both. Good luck.

You can obtain state IDs for your kids, if you regularly take them across state lines that is a valid reason for the DMV to issue one for you. I have them for my own kids, although we no longer reside in the state they were issued in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My stepson's expedited passport ap was submitted on May 8. My husband has exclusive legal rights but didnt specifically say passport. On May 21 we got an email from passport office that stated they still needed the paperwork from his biomom and copy of her DL. Sent the paperwork via next day May 23 and passport office got it May 26 (holiday weekend). The website has shown ap processing this whole time so Dh called last night. He was on hold for about 30 minutes. Rep came on the line. Passport was mailed last Thursday, gave dh tracking number and we got it in the mail today. So even with the complication of needing to send in more paperwork, it was sent before the 4 week mark.

Thanks to everyone that suggested contacting our Senator or Congressman.

We contacted our Congressman's office early Monday morning and they have been phenomenal in helping us through this! I can't say enough wonderful things about the gentleman from the office of Congressman Desjarlais.

After three pretty busy days of hurry up and wait, our grandson's passport is scheduled to arrive by UPS before noon today, just in time for us to head out.

:D :p

Thanks to everyone that suggested contacting our Senator or Congressman.

We contacted our Congressman's office early Monday morning and they have been phenomenal in helping us through this! I can't say enough wonderful things about the gentleman from the office of Congressman Desjarlais.

After three pretty busy days of hurry up and wait, our grandson's passport is scheduled to arrive by UPS before noon today, just in time for us to head out.

:D :p

So glad you got the help you needed to get the passport processed.

I hope it did indeed arrive as scheduled and you'll be cruising tomorrow, relaxing. Hope your cruise is awesome.

Contact your congressperson. It's absolutely amazing what can be accomplished that way. My son broke his neck in the army and we were trying to get his discharge processed while he was in the hospital (most of a year). As a 100% disabled veteran his pay is much better than as an injured private. I called and called and called the woman who had to process the discharge. I always got voice mail saying she was "in the building" but away from her phone and to leave a message and she would get right back to me. I left messages over and over and over. Nothing. Zip. No return calls. This went on for quite some time.

I finally went to my congressman about it. He called her (same number I was using) and left a message. His message said, "This is congressman xxxxxx calling about private xxxxx. I understand there is a problem with his discharge process and I understand that the problem is you. Unlike me, the congressman got a speedy return call. My son was discharged within the week.

Contact your congressperson.

The same day passport service still requires some advance work.

Sister discovered her teen daughter's passport had expired a couple of weeks before our European cruise. Needed the passport, not for the cruise itself, but to get to Europe.

In any case, she called the passport office and scheduled an appointment 2 weeks out. In the meantime, she had to submit all the paperwork so that they could complete the background check/ record check before the appointment. She sent in the application, photos, BC and her custody paperwork, just like she would have for a regular or expedited application... the difference was that she KNEW she'd get the passport at the appointment.

During the appointment itself, the agent just ran down the checklist and printed the actual passport. Took all of 10 minutes, she said.

She was never given the option to just come in and be processed... they still need processing and review time.

I know this is of no help to OP, but thought I'd mention my recent experience with renewing an adult passport. I decided on expedited processing with overnight delivery, which was an extra $74.85 in addition to the $110.00 passport renewal fee. I received my new passport in the mail 12 calendar days from the day I mailed in the renewal request. I thought it was well worth the extra money to have this quick service.

Same with me. I didn't do the overnight delivery, just the certified mail from the USPS so I could track it. Had my new book in my mailbox in about 12-14 days after they received it. The card was about a week or so later. Renewing is much easier and faster.

Contact your congressperson. It's absolutely amazing what can be accomplished that way. ...

I finally went to my congressman ... Unlike me, the congressman got a speedy return call. ... Contact your congressperson.

Did you read post #42? She did call and was helped.