Medical help onboard ship?

moongal

Hello, new to cruising here and just saw a story on local news about a family that had a medical emergency aboard a carnival ship. Son Was apparently diagnosed with appendicitis and sent off ship to get help in Progresso.

Long story short, mother had no credit cards or cash to pay for surgery nor passports or money to get home for medical care. Had to resort to having strangers make donations via ********.

All of this got me worrying about the possibility of myself or one of my family members getting sick on the ship. Does anyone have any experience or know anything about what kind of medical care is available onboard? I assume there is a doctor..... Do they have facilities onboard to treat any medical emergency? What if something life threatening happens when you are smack dab in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico? (We are scheduled to be on 7 day Magic cruise to western Caribbean)

I never even gave a thought about this till I heard this story and now I am really curious and a bit worried. (My kids are really great at coming down with stuff at the worst possible times!)

Any info would be appreciated!

Moongal, Stuff happens and on cruises Ive seen crazy stuff happens (mostly falls). You didn't say if you had paid your cruises last payment. If you haven't then I think it's not too late to buy travel insurance. The Peace of Mind that it gives me makes paying for insurance worth it, IMHO.

Yes there are doctors on board and they are able to deal with many ailments that passengers manage to encounter while cruising. The above incident is something that needs surgery and they are not able to perform surgery.

Here is a link to Carnivals FAQ to give you further information regard help once on board.:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1136/kw/medical%20assistance

I read about the young man and his mother and while I pray for a good outcome all around I will use this tragic situation to remind people why I always say buy travel insurance and have a passport.

I saw the same story and called my travel agent today. Our cruise is already paid, but we can buy travel insurance up until 14 days before the cruise, apparently. Definitely going to add it on -- it was $90 pp.

You need to have (or buy) medical insurance that will pay your expenses while you are out of the U.S. You also need insurance that will cover your expenses if you need to be flown back to the U.S.for treatment (this can be very, very expensive if you have to pay for it yourself).

I broke my arm onboard a ship a few years back. I received excellent care onboard and kindly carnival waived the fee for onboard services. Upon arriving in fort Lauderdale I was taken by ambulance to the hospital.

I had insurance so never paid anything for care, but understand that I would have had to pay upfront for carnivals expenses had they charged me.

Bottom line I don't believe getting care would generally be the issue, but I would never travel without good insurance and a reasonable sum of backup money.

Omg thank you for everyone's quick responses! We are booked to leave in 15 days! I just went in a purchased the vacation insurance!! When I booked I didn't realize it helped with medical issues. I just thought it would reimburse your money you paid for the trip. I declined it when I booked as I was willing to risk that amount in the event we had to cancel but after reading this story, I wanted to make sure I was covered for medical also.

We do have health insurance and I would never dream of going on a cruise or trip without sufficient funds (cash and credit cards) and passport, to be able to handle any emergency, but still like the peace of mind knowing I'm covered for something that might be so costly.

Thanks for all the advice, I got in right under the wire and I do feel better!

I saw the same story and called my travel agent today. Our cruise is already paid, but we can buy travel insurance up until 14 days before the cruise, apparently. Definitely going to add it on -- it was $90 pp.

The more important time limit is how many days out from your deposit will the insurer include pre-existing conditions. Many policies have only a 30 day window.

Also, travel insurance is not necessarily the same as supplementary medical insurance. Is the policy you are looking at a "combination policy" like those offered by outfits like Travelex?

In addition, know what your regular insurance covers since it will be the primary when benefits are coordinated.

It's amazing how many folks don't have a clue about there own insurance. Some seniors, for example, don't realize that Medicare provides no coverage outside the US.

In February my sister got shingles our first night on board-ouch. She received excellent care on board. We went down to the office first thing in the morning and within 40 minutes she'd seen a nurse who diagnosed it immediately, the doctor who confirmed, and she received medication. She got quicker service than she would have at home! And, the cost wasn't as bad as we feared. I think it was $100 to see both the nurse and doctor then $20ish for meds. (For a higher fee, we could have had someone pay a "house call"!)

We don't travel with kids, but we both have health problems so we always get the insurance for peace of mind. Go and enjoy and know that in the event you need it, you will be well taken care of.

they do not do surgery on the ship as far as I know. I guess they might in an out and out emergency.

The family in question had the money to pay for a cruise yet gambled with not needing Insurance - an extra $100 maybe. Its not fun to have a medical emergency but why the hell gamble like that??

I've been the first off the ship - in an ambulance with my son. Its not big and its not clever and it was totally unexpected. Suspected appendicitis. turned out it was inflamed - no surgery needed. I'm glad the Doctor onboard made the call to go to the hospital rather than do it himself - especially as it turned out not to be an issue.

The bills for the ambulance and all the tests and scans in the hospital - just over 10K. I'd bought insurance and they covered the whole thing. I'll buy insurance everytime rather than add to any emergency problems and stress that might potentially happen. Why add financial stress to that as well?

The family involved this time also had no passports. Wise up people. crap happens. a couple of small steps can save a lot of pain. Apparently Carnival stepped up and paid for the passports. That's more than they had to do.

Insurance - or a go fund me campaign... not a tough choice is it.

Please be aware that if you are taken ashore to a hospital, the insurance does not PAY...It REIMBURSES after you return home and file a claim with you own health insurance and that claim is denied. those hospitals overseas, especially Mexico, require payment up front. So make sure you have a credit card with a healthy credit limit. EM

Please be aware that if you are taken ashore to a hospital, the insurance does not PAY...It REIMBURSES after you return home and file a claim with you own health insurance and that claim is denied. those hospitals overseas, especially Mexico, require payment up front. So make sure you have a credit card with a healthy credit limit. EM

I second that recommendation. I always carry the credit card that has the highest credit limit, but use a different one for on-board and pre-cruise hotel expenses, saving the high-credit one just for a costly emergency.

Another point regarding travel insurance: many if not most policies include coverage if a family member (even one not taking the cruise with you) has a major illness or death that would cause you to cancel or cut short your cruise in order to be with them.

My DH had a sinus infection in February on the cruise. It was $129 to see the doc and they gave his 3 or 4 different meds including antibiotic, for a total of around $180. The cost went to his S&S card.

Cheaper than an urgent care clinic or stand alone ER here in states without insurance.

Omg thank you for everyone's quick responses! We are booked to leave in 15 days! I just went in a purchased the vacation insurance!! When I booked I didn't realize it helped with medical issues. I just thought it would reimburse your money you paid for the trip. I declined it when I booked as I was willing to risk that amount in the event we had to cancel but after reading this story, I wanted to make sure I was covered for medical also.

We do have health insurance and I would never dream of going on a cruise or trip without sufficient funds (cash and credit cards) and passport, to be able to handle any emergency, but still like the peace of mind knowing I'm covered for something that might be so costly.

Just be aware that ALL travel insurance policies are reimbursement only.

In other words, you pay up front,,, then when you return you file for reimbursement.

Let's take the current mom and son in Mexico story for instance.

If they had travel insurance AND had passport books.

They still would have had to pay the Mexican hospital up front out of their own pocket. (Some, not all, travel insurance providers would have pre paid the hospital up front or at least sent a letter showing ability to pay).

Side Note here: My work provided healthcare policy does provide coverage outside the US. However, they will not prepay or provide a letter of ability to pay AND they only reimburse at the Out of Network costs.

Now, let's say they are ready to travel home. They have their passport books. They have to pay for the airline tickets to get home. Then they file for reimbursement from the Travel Insurance company.

Even with travel insurance you have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed later. That is better than nothing. Many hospitals out of the country will not accept the assurances from an insurance company that they will be paid. It is pay up front or else.

I have read horror stories online about a family that had to take out a second mortgage on their house when 2 family members were in a taxi accident in the Bahamas. They would not let them leave until the bills were paid. Unfortunately, they had no travel insurance so they were not reimbursed.

There is also the story online about the man who had a heart attack at an Iberostar on the Riviera Maya. They had travel insurance, but the hospital would not treat him until they paid the estimated charges up front in cash or on a credit card. They would not accept the promise from the travel insurance to cover the expenses! After assessing his health they determined he needed an angioplasty, but that could not be done until the additional charges were paid in advance. As I recall they used their American Express card and had to call to get a credit line increase. They put $28,000 on their American Express card. Plus the wife incurred living expenses in Cancun while he was in the hospital. They were ultimately reimbursed for everything. His care was excellent and he made a full recovery.

We had friend on an Alaska cruise and their teenage son did not tell them before they boarded in Seattle about his severe abdominal pains. After the ship sailed he finally fessed up. The doctor monitored him and in Juneau he was taken to the hospital for emergency surgery. His appendix had ruptured. He was one sick boy and ended up in the hospital for 5 nights. The concierge service at their travel insurance helped them find the best surgeon, arranged a hotel room near the hospital for the parents and rebooked their flights home when their son was ready to travel. They were lucky because the surgery took place in the US so their health insurance covered all but the copay. The travel insurance reimbursed the the copay and the several thousand in expenses that they incurred when changing flights (change fees + additional cost since the doctor said he had to fly first class, as well as the living expenses for the parents in Juneau.

1. Unless you are super wealthy, buy travel insurance.

2. Be prepared to pay out of pocket in case of emergency.

3. Don't assume your US health insurance will cover you out of the country. Our Aetna policy specifically says there is no coverage out of the US.

I seriously worry about people who use debit cards only and are on here worrying about

their onboard account. What would they do in this situation?

We are fortunate and have high limits on multiple credit cards. We notify all of them that we will be out of the country just in case. We can easily cover any hospital bills, even if they run into the hundreds of thousands. We also take several thousand dollars in emergency cash just in case one of us lands in the hospital and the other will have to buy meals, take taxis etc. and we always purchase travel insurance. Knock wood, we have never had a problem.

Edited by DebJ14

When my son was 2 years old he had his first asthma attack onboard the Explorer of the Seas, total bill for drs meds and inhale treatment for 5 days was 900.00 had to pay it in cash so ever since then i purchase insurance.

I do however purchase insurance that is not a secondary to my primary insurance for 4 of us it is 96.00. This is 2 adults and 2 teens and covers other stuff such as cancellation and lost luggage etc.... not with the cruise line.

This insurance in the event of hospital will in emergency case offer advance payment guarantee to the hospital so you can get treatment if you do not have the cash. I never want to be caught without insurance again and for 96.00 it gives me much peace of mind plus i dont have 50,000 in case of emergencies for major medical or worse.

Some health insurances will not work out of the US. Some that do have secondary company that specifically manages out of country medical care with a separate contact and identification cards.

Even with travel insurance you have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed later. That is better than nothing. Many hospitals out of the country will not accept the assurances from an insurance company that they will be paid. It is pay up front or else.

I have read horror stories online about a family that had to take out a second mortgage on their house when 2 family members were in a taxi accident in the Bahamas. They would not let them leave until the bills were paid. Unfortunately, they had no travel insurance so they were not reimbursed.

There is also the story online about the man who had a heart attack at an Iberostar on the Riviera Maya. They had travel insurance, but the hospital would not treat him until they paid the estimated charges up front in cash or on a credit card. They would not accept the promise from the travel insurance to cover the expenses! After assessing his health they determined he needed an angioplasty, but that could not be done until the additional charges were paid in advance. As I recall they used their American Express card and had to call to get a credit line increase. They put $28,000 on their American Express card. Plus the wife incurred living expenses in Cancun while he was in the hospital. They were ultimately reimbursed for everything. His care was excellent and he made a full recovery.

We had friend on an Alaska cruise and their teenage son did not tell them before they boarded in Seattle about his severe abdominal pains. After the ship sailed he finally fessed up. The doctor monitored him and in Juneau he was taken to the hospital for emergency surgery. His appendix had ruptured. He was one sick boy and ended up in the hospital for 5 nights. The concierge service at their travel insurance helped them find the best surgeon, arranged a hotel room near the hospital for the parents and rebooked their flights home when their son was ready to travel. They were lucky because the surgery took place in the US so their health insurance covered all but the copay. The travel insurance reimbursed the the copay and the several thousand in expenses that they incurred when changing flights (change fees + additional cost since the doctor said he had to fly first class, as well as the living expenses for the parents in Juneau.

1. Unless you are super wealthy, buy travel insurance.

2. Be prepared to pay out of pocket in case of emergency.

3. Don't assume your US health insurance will cover you out of the country. Our Aetna policy specifically says there is no coverage out of the US.

I seriously worry about people who use debit cards only and are on here worrying about

their onboard account. What would they do in this situation?

We are fortunate and have high limits on multiple credit cards. We notify all of them that we will be out of the country just in case. We can easily cover any hospital bills, even if they run into the hundreds of thousands. We also take several thousand dollars in emergency cash just in case one of us lands in the hospital and the other will have to buy meals, take taxis etc. and we always purchase travel insurance. Knock wood, we have never had a problem.

Neither Medicare nor Medicaid work outside the US which can be a huge shock to passengers at the worst possible times.

I'm glad you read that article because stuff happens. I've seen plenty of broken bones on board. On our cruise to Alaska a couple of weeks ago, the captain got on the intercom asking anyone on board with a certain blood type to come immediately to the infirmary. We've also been on cruises where sick people had to be evacuated. No one is exempt no matter your age from something happening to you. It's the first thing I get right after booking - travel insurance.

Wow really interesting stories! I understand about the reimbursement. I don't mind paying out of pocket if I know I will recover some of that. Now I am wondering if I should purchase even more insurance. Can anyone recommend a good travel insurer? I know it will probably be too late to get more for my upcoming trip but in the future I want to make sure I am well insured.

Hello, new to cruising here and just saw a story on local news about a family that had a medical emergency aboard a carnival ship. Son Was apparently diagnosed with appendicitis and sent off ship to get help in Progresso.

Long story short, mother had no credit cards or cash to pay for surgery nor passports or money to get home for medical care. Had to resort to having strangers make donations via ********.

All of this got me worrying about the possibility of myself or one of my family members getting sick on the ship. Does anyone have any experience or know anything about what kind of medical care is available onboard? I assume there is a doctor..... Do they have facilities onboard to treat any medical emergency? What if something life threatening happens when you are smack dab in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico? (We are scheduled to be on 7 day Magic cruise to western Caribbean)

I never even gave a thought about this till I heard this story and now I am really curious and a bit worried. (My kids are really great at coming down with stuff at the worst possible times!)

Any info would be appreciated!

The doctors used aboard cruise ships are typically family physicians or emergency room physicians who practice basically fulfilling requirements of 3 specialty areas at once including family medicine, emergency medicine, and ICU physician. They can do many things but not general surgery or general anesthesia. If you're having a heart attack they can administer thrombolytics. If you stop breathing they can intubate you and take care of you on a ventilator until the ship reaches land. But there are limits. That's why you should purchase the insurance which would in an emergency fly you home however even that would be contingent upon your health being stable enough to tolerate the flight.

Anyone travel with a pacemaker???...I may have asked this 3 years ago but have forgotten...does the ship have something to monitor that..while patient is away from the land line?

Anyone travel with a pacemaker???...I may have asked this 3 years ago but have forgotten...does the ship have something to monitor that..while patient is away from the land line?

No would be my guess. But you would need to contact the Cruiseline directly.