Help with quick exit off ship to get early flight from Schipol?

pzbz

Hello! We are disembrking at Marine Termianal on Corsicaweg in Amsterdam on Aug 22nd. Our disembarking port has been moved from Port of Amsterdam due to the SAIL event going on. We dock at 6:00 am and we are booked on a 10:00 am flight to Seattle.

What measures should we take to get to our early flight? I have a private taxi picking my group of 8 up at the Marine Terminal. We are concierge class on the Silhouette so I understand that we have no special privileges...can we get valet i.e get our boarding passes printed on the ship and have our luggage go straight through form the ship to Seattle to save time?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Praying would be a good start.

As this is a Celebrity policy and procedure issue, I would be asking on the Celebrity board as to how to get off the ship first. Being able to carry your own bags will be required. I would move the taxi booking to 7:30, or maybe even 7am. Pay the taxi a waiting fee. You NEED that taxi there early.

I think you are going to have a very uncomfortable morning. It is possible you are going to miss your flight. When we were there last, there was only two people checking passports as we got off. A very long line ensued.

Remember your flight is a direct flight to the US. This entails extra security checks. Remember the general rule of arriving early for international flights?

Edited by CruiserBruce

Praying would be a good start.

As this is a Celebrity policy and procedure issue, I would be asking on the Celebrity board as to how to get off the ship first. Being able to carry your own bags will be required. I would move the taxi booking to 7:30, or maybe even 7am. Pay the taxi a waiting fee. You NEED that taxi there early.

I think you are going to have a very uncomfortable morning. It is possible you are going to miss your flight. When we were there last, there was only two people checking passports as we got off. A very long line ensued.

Remember your flight is a direct flight to the US. This entails extra security checks. Remember the general rule of arriving early for international flights?

We have the taxi scheduled at 6:25 am...

When you get the form from the cruise line asking about the time you need to be off tell then 6 am then carry off your own bags

Pack light

You might be off by 6:30am

You can print your boarding passes on the ship the day before (maybe for a fee)

Good luck

I don't see this one ending well...

I assume you're flying Delta or KLM; not sure which company actually operates that route. Are you flying business or do you have elite status? I don't know about Celebrity, but the last time I looked at Royal Caribbean, luggage valet was not available overseas, and given security at most European airports, it's unlikely to be available. Not all European airports or airlines support internet check-in for international flights (since yours is a return, it's more likely), and even when they do, it typically doesn't speed the check-in process. Time is consumed with security before you reach the check-in counter, checking in, passport control, and actual security, which you may do twice for a US bound aircraft. I'm assuming Delta's official recommendation is a 3 hour check-in at Amsterdam?

If the ship docks at 6:00, I think it's highly unlikely that you're going to be in a taxi at 6:25. Yes, the ship may well arrive early, and go through all the formalities early, but that's a heck of a gamble. What time do the Celebrity tours with airport transfers depart? Those are usually the first people off. If that's not until 7:30, that's a good, but not absolute, gauge of when you can expect to start disembarkation.

My biggest fear would be missing the only direct flight on that day (is it the only direct?). You're talking August, which is still a peak travel month. Do you want to gamble on having to suddenly connect through Atlanta when you were planning a direct flight, or worse yet, having to wait in Amsterdam for a day or two to get seats again. AND, you're talking 8 seats, not 2. Is there another direct flight later in the day? If not, have you considered spending the night in Amsterdam and taking that same flight at a much more relaxed pace the next morning?

Much depends what time you can disembark. If docking at 6 am (often ships dock earleir) it depends what time you can get off.

Driving time from Corsicahaven depending traffic will be around 30 minutes.

So if you can get off in time, yes I think you will make your 10 am flight.

Yes its tight, but you have a good chance of making your flight. I fly out of Amsterdam a lot, also to the US.

Yes they advise you to be at the airport 3 hours before departure. I've never been at the airport that early and never did i miss my flight because of that.

Usually security and immigration goes pretty fast at Schiphol, once you've passed immigrations its just a walk up to the gate.

If you'd be at Schiphol around 8:30 you'll have plenty of time, which means you have to depart the dock around 8.

However, you'll probably be on the road around 7.30. Dont stress!

Thanks for all of your input re navigating in Schiphol to catch my 10:00 am flight. So many responses and all with different opinions. I understand there is a new "central screening" in place at Schiphol which is supposed to make it easier??? I would welcome any responses from folks who have gone through this. It was put in place on June 3rd.

It will be a busy day at the airport but you will be more then fine if you disembark at the earliest moment possible. The private taxi is a great thing. Be sure to write down some phone numbers of other local taxi companies just as a backup as there is nothing at the "terminal", it's an industrial harbour.

The ride to Schiphol is about 15 minutes.

The new security filter will work flawless in a few days, Schiphol already said they needed to plan more security staff. The Schengen part of the airport has been working with central security for a few years now so no worries.

The gentleman from Virginia requests unanimous consent to revise and extend his previous remarks...

It sounds like those who frequent Amsterdam are not as concerned as I am. I've not had that kind of success really at any overseas airport, other than maybe Bergen a few years ago, so there's no way that I personally would cut it that close, but it sounds like you have a better than average chance of making it, as long as nothing goes wrong with arrival and clearance. Hoping it works out smoothly!

The gentleman from Virginia requests unanimous consent to revise and extend his previous remarks...

It sounds like those who frequent Amsterdam are not as concerned as I am. I've not had that kind of success really at any overseas airport, other than maybe Bergen a few years ago, so there's no way that I personally would cut it that close, but it sounds like you have a better than average chance of making it, as long as nothing goes wrong with arrival and clearance. Hoping it works out smoothly!

:D It sure can go wrong, there is a risk. Although small I wouldn't like to have any earlier flight if I was the OP.

Things I've taken in;

Clearance after docking should be no problem, it will be an quiet early saturday morning from an industrial part of Amsterdam onto highways to the airport without workday rush hours, the new central security should cost around 10 minutes when it works correctly, you can move fast around Schiphol after that with a max of 15 minutes travel on foot from passport control to the end of the E/F/G concourses where OP's flight will depart from somewhere.

In the most convenient case the OP will step out of the taxi at 6.45 and have his bags checked at 7am. Passport control shortly after that and by the gate at or before 7.30.

Best scenario is quick taxi ride, get at the airport around 6.45/7ish, get a cup of coffee and a small breakfast at one of the bars/small restaurants at the Arrivals level (one floor down from Departures where the taxi will drop you off) or visit the outdoor panorama terrace, walk up to the (self) check in at 7.30, passport control, buy some magazines for the flight, visit the smalll Rijks museum with real paintings between E and F concourse and show up at the gate at 8.30 where boarding probably starts anytime after that.

:cool:

:D It sure can go wrong, there is a risk. Although small I wouldn't like to have any earlier flight if I was the OP.

Things I've taken in;

Clearance after docking should be no problem, it will be an quiet early saturday morning from an industrial part of Amsterdam onto highways to the airport without workday rush hours, the new central security should cost around 10 minutes when it works correctly, you can move fast around Schiphol after that with a max of 15 minutes travel on foot from passport control to the end of the E/F/G concourses where OP's flight will depart from somewhere.

In the most convenient case the OP will step out of the taxi at 6.45 and have his bags checked at 7am. Passport control shortly after that and by the gate at or before 7.30.

Best scenario is quick taxi ride, get at the airport around 6.45/7ish, get a cup of coffee and a small breakfast at one of the bars/small restaurants at the Arrivals level (one floor down from Departures where the taxi will drop you off) or visit the outdoor panorama terrace, walk up to the (self) check in at 7.30, passport control, buy some magazines for the flight, visit the smalll Rijks museum with real paintings between E and F concourse and show up at the gate at 8.30 where boarding probably starts anytime after that.

:cool:

Sounds like I need to start flying into Amsterdam and taking the train to Brussels! Typical day leaving Brussels: Taxi from downtown, 30-45 minutes and 50-60 Euros. Show up at departure area. Scan the incomprehensible signs to attempt to determine which area your airline is using that trip. Get in line. Answer 8-10 incomprehensible questions about your bags. Get a sticker on your passport. Check your bag. Answer the same set of security questions. Take your boarding pass to passport control Stand in line. Get through passport control. Be routed through duty free. Essentially all shopping and most food is pre-security unless you have lounge access. Go through security. Wait. Potentially get re-screened as you're on a US bound flight. Get on plane. Total time: variable, but far longer and less relaxing than you just described!

It will be a busy day at the airport but you will be more then fine if you disembark at the earliest moment possible. The private taxi is a great thing. Be sure to write down some phone numbers of other local taxi companies just as a backup as there is nothing at the "terminal", it's an industrial harbour.

The ride to Schiphol is about 15 minutes.

The new security filter will work flawless in a few days, Schiphol already said they needed to plan more security staff. The Schengen part of the airport has been working with central security for a few years now so no worries.

We also have an morning flight at 11:40am but we are flying to Rome so I can only think that this is considered domestic flight?

I will definitely pre-book a taxi for 7:00am from reading everybody's feedback. We are on the Silhouette with a disembark on 7/27.

Edited by need2cruisesoon

If time is not an issue (12:40 flight), does one need to reserve a taxi in advance at the port in Amsterdam , or do they line up outside?

If your ship docks at the regular cruise terminal it will be no problem. If your ship docks outside due Sail Amsterdam better pre book.

Sounds like I need to start flying into Amsterdam and taking the train to Brussels! Typical day leaving Brussels: Taxi from downtown, 30-45 minutes and 50-60 Euros. Show up at departure area. Scan the incomprehensible signs to attempt to determine which area your airline is using that trip. Get in line. Answer 8-10 incomprehensible questions about your bags. Get a sticker on your passport. Check your bag. Answer the same set of security questions. Take your boarding pass to passport control Stand in line. Get through passport control. Be routed through duty free. Essentially all shopping and most food is pre-security unless you have lounge access. Go through security. Wait. Potentially get re-screened as you're on a US bound flight. Get on plane. Total time: variable, but far longer and less relaxing than you just described!

In general just take a flight out of Amsterdam, it is an easy airport to handle.

Only during Sail Amsterdam in August ships dock not at the cruise terminal due to this event but in an industrial area.

Also last weekend Schiphol airport started with a new central security system (it used to be at the gates). Of course as expected there were some problems with it, but I am sure pretty soon it will be better and quicker then before.

We also have an morning flight at 11:40am but we are flying to Rome so I can only think that this is considered domestic flight?

I will definitely pre-book a taxi for 7:00am from reading everybody's feedback. We are on the Silhouette with a disembark on 7/27.

Yep, thats a domestic flight and you do not have to clear immigrations before flying. When you arrive at the airport you only have to go through central security, which is in place for a few years for domestic flights and will be really smooth.

Personally, i would even take the cab at 8 / 8:30 depending on the day you are leaving (weekend or not).

Yep, thats a domestic flight and you do not have to clear immigrations before flying. When you arrive at the airport you only have to go through central security, which is in place for a few years for domestic flights and will be really smooth.

Personally, i would even take the cab at 8 / 8:30 depending on the day you are leaving (weekend or not).

I appreciate your feedback....thank you!

• 7 months later...
Hello! We are disembrking at Marine Termianal on Corsicaweg in Amsterdam on Aug 22nd. Our disembarking port has been moved from Port of Amsterdam due to the SAIL event going on. We dock at 6:00 am and we are booked on a 10:00 am flight to Seattle.

What measures should we take to get to our early flight? I have a private taxi picking my group of 8 up at the Marine Terminal. We are concierge class on the Silhouette so I understand that we have no special privileges...can we get valet i.e get our boarding passes printed on the ship and have our luggage go straight through form the ship to Seattle to save time?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance!

Hi hi!

How did your morning go? Was the timing too tight to catch the flight. I will be in the same situation as you this May.... Let me know.

Thx

Hi hi!

How did your morning go? Was the timing too tight to catch the flight. I will be in the same situation as you this May.... Let me know.

Thx

No way would I book that flight.

OP most probably made it since we haven't heard back. ;)

As Ine said; because of the nautical SAIL Amsterdam event (once every 4 year) things were different.

Silhouette will dock at the PTA in May. Schedule for that month:

Day Ship Terminal

02-05-2016 CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE PTA

06-05-2016 ALBATROS PTA

06-05-2016 AMADEA PTA

07-05-2016 SAGA PEARL II FCT

09-05-2016 SEABOURN QUEST PTA

13-05-2016 MEIN SCHIFF 4 PTA

13-05-2016 SERENADE OF THE SEAS PTA

14-05-2016 CELEBRITY SILHOUETTE PTA

15-05-2016 AIDASOL FCT

18-05-2016 MEIN SCHIFF 1 PTA