Quick thoughts on Summit

dkjretired

Just returned from a wonderful cruise on the Summit and will give some quick thoughts. First my cruise was a bit of a problem because I had severe sciatica pain in the left leg which limited much of what I could do but still had a good time.

Royal is to be congratulated for the new terminal. Since they built it for one of their bigger ships they can handle the Summit with ease, it is big spacious and things run efficiently. Our daughter dropped us at the pier and we were in the buffet in 20 minutes, this even included a few minutes lost in line as the camera to take our pictures was malfunctioning. We did not do self debarkation but went around 9:00 AM as our daughter was picking us up. Less than 15 minutes from Revelations to the car.

We had Select dining for three and the food was excellent. Service was spotty however in Select, one night waited 45 minutes after finishing main course just to get our desert menus. This was not the only hiccup with service.

Did not see any of the shows as I could not sit for any length of time, my son told me the comedian was good and everyone raved about the acapella show.

As I did on my last cruise I asked the wife to tell me her thoughts on dress code. She doesn't do cruise critic and is really not aware of controversies. She really didn't see traditional dining so can only comment on Select and around the ship so please don't shoot the messenger. From both our observation most of the people on the cruise made an attempt to dress up and that has been my experience on all my Celebrity cruises. She estimated somewhere between 5 and 10% in Tuxes. (She said Wine-O looked good in his tux) The rest of the men were either in suits or sport jacket, she did comment that there appeared to be a lot more men in sport jackets and a lot more without a tie. Also. they were handing out jackets in the MDR to those who did not have them.

Chair hogging was abundant and saw a couple of arguments. Wife saw an argument where a nasty couple had officers, etc come to the pool deck because their stuff was moved. They had been gone for over an hour and demanded their spot back. She stated staff was firm but very respectful and that these people were just nasty.

Final thought, we did the Coco Reef hotel on a day pass. It was $69.95 for the day and really very nice. Clean facility, polite staff with restaurant and bar. They give you towels and we stayed at the pool, there is a walk down to part of Elbow Beach. Day we went they had signs up for Portuguese Man of War so wife did not use beach that much, I didn't even try it with my leg. We also got lunch with the fee and it was excellent. They give you two courses, either an appetizer and main course or main course and dessert. I had a Bermuda fish chowder and a pesto pasta dish. Both were excellent.

I'll try and put up some other points or answer questions but will be leaving NJ for home in Pa shortly and probably be spending tomorrow at the Drs.

One quick thing that I put on another thread. Saturday night they announced that we would be pushing it to get to NJ as fast as possible due to a medical emergency. They also announced that anyone with 0- blood was needed for a transfusion. I went down but they couldn't use me due to blood thinners but it was heartening to see at least 50 people there volunteering.

Thanks for the review, Don. I have a theory about the jellyfish warning. As the crew probably told you, we had terrible winds, for our whole stay in Bermuda last week. My DH and I just hopped on a bus to Hamilton, where the wind wasn't as bad. But, our catamaran sail-n-snorkel was canceled, and the ferry to St. George did not run for two days. Folks who tried to go to the beach had a miserable time -- blowing sand, and (you guessed it) jellyfish washed up on the beaches. :eek:

Hi Don,:) thanks for the review and glad you had a good cruise:)

Hope whoever was ill will be ok........

I am sailing Summit in November and can't wait to get back on her again:D

Tell Jeanne hello from me too:)

Thanks so much for posting about your recent cruise! My family and I will be on the June 28th sailing and are really looking forward to our first Celebrity experience. We have also reserved the day pass for Coco Reef so I was glad to hear your thoughts on it. I also hope that the person experiencing the medical emergency will be ok, and it is very heartwarming to hear how many people were willing to help. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Thanks for the recap Don. I hope that your feeling better. It really puts a damper on things when you feel lousy on a cruise.

It's nice to hear the new terminal is working out well. We'll be there in about a month, but on the big Royal Caribbean ship.

Was the day fee of $69.95 per person or per couple?

The fee is per person. I checked the menu for prices so I could figure out a tip. Remember this is Bermuda and the lunch prices would be about $40.00 per person. Also, I forgot to mention in my OP that they also give you a glass of wine with the dinner.

Thanks for the recap Don. I hope that your feeling better. It really puts a damper on things when you feel lousy on a cruise.

It's nice to hear the new terminal is working out well. We'll be there in about a month, but on the big Royal Caribbean ship.

Hi Rich:

It really works out well for those of us on smaller ships since the terminal was built for the big Royal ship. There is just so much room in the terminal, really a pleasure.

Thanks so much for posting about your recent cruise! My family and I will be on the June 28th sailing and are really looking forward to our first Celebrity experience. We have also reserved the day pass for Coco Reef so I was glad to hear your thoughts on it. I also hope that the person experiencing the medical emergency will be ok, and it is very heartwarming to hear how many people were willing to help. Glad you enjoyed your trip!

We did it on the Thursday so we had the whole day, didn't have to rush to get there or get back. I will give you a bit of a tip as to how to get to the hotel. I would not take the bus since the resort is behind Bermuda College which leaves you with a long walk up a hill after the bus lets you off.

I spoke to people at the resort who were on our ship and they took a cab to the resort which cost about $62 each way not counting tip. I got a tip on the Bermuda board and took the 9:00AM ferry to Hamilton which was $4.50 each way. We then took a cab from Hamilton to the hotel which took us right to the door of the hotel, it was about $15 with a tip. Time was about the same as taking the cab to the hotel. Our total cost was $30 for the cab and $27 for ferry for three people.

Thanks for the review, Don. I have a theory about the jellyfish warning. As the crew probably told you, we had terrible winds, for our whole stay in Bermuda last week. My DH and I just hopped on a bus to Hamilton, where the wind wasn't as bad. But, our catamaran sail-n-snorkel was canceled, and the ferry to St. George did not run for two days. Folks who tried to go to the beach had a miserable time -- blowing sand, and (you guessed it) jellyfish washed up on the beaches. :eek:

Could very well be since wife stated there were a lot of them washed up dead. We had very little rain for the entire week except for the last day when it rained most of the day and we were really pushing it later in the day and overnight. She also saw a couple of live ones in the water.

Edited by dkjretired

2 and 6 (Monday and Friday).

Yes, Monday and Friday, we really pigged out on Friday having a fairly large lobster tail (little bit tough) and Beef Wellington which was excellent.

A couple of other items good on the menu were the Beef Torenados and the Beef spare ribs.

Don - always great to read your posts and hear your comments. I've never been to Bermuda, but it is on my bucket list and I look forward to checking it out someday. Thanks very much for sharing your experience on the Summit. I hope you feel better soon.

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network using Tapatalk Pro

We did it on the Thursday so we had the whole day, didn't have to rush to get there or get back. I will give you a bit of a tip as to how to get to the hotel. I would not take the bus since the resort is behind Bermuda College which leaves you with a long walk up a hill after the bus lets you off.

I spoke to people at the resort who were on our ship and they took a cab to the resort which cost about $62 each way not counting tip. I got a tip on the Bermuda board and took the 9:00AM ferry to Hamilton which was $4.50 each way. We then took a cab from Hamilton to the hotel which took us right to the door of the hotel, it was about $15 with a tip. Time was about the same as taking the cab to the hotel. Our total cost was $30 for the cab and $27 for ferry for three people.

Don, thank you for this tip! I will be sure to share this with my group. Very grateful for this information :)

I was on this cruise as well and had a terrific time! The crew as wonderful. This was my first time in a suite and it was a treat to experience Luminae. They were open everyday for lunch and dinner. I had breakfast there twice and cannot say enough good things.

The shows were really quite good. The comedian was hysterical, the accapella group Voice Play was amazing....so good I bought a CD. The production shows were also good. I was impressed with the singers and dancers.

I went to the special coctail party Indulgence. It costs $20 plus 18% gratuity. In my opinion, it's not really worth it unless you plan on drinking a lot. It's held in Cellar Masters and was very hot and crowded.

We had great weather the entire time in Bermuda. If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Mindi

I was on this cruise as well and had a terrific time! The crew as wonderful. This was my first time in a suite and it was a treat to experience Luminae. They were open everyday for lunch and dinner. I had breakfast there twice and cannot say enough good things.

The shows were really quite good. The comedian was hysterical, the accapella group Voice Play was amazing....so good I bought a CD. The production shows were also good. I was impressed with the singers and dancers.

I went to the special coctail party Indulgence. It costs $20 plus 18% gratuity. In my opinion, it's not really worth it unless you plan on drinking a lot. It's held in Cellar Masters and was very hot and crowded.

We had great weather the entire time in Bermuda. If I can answer any questions, please let me know.

Mindi

Hi Mindi,

Thanks for the information. I am cruising on Summit in a couple of weeks in a suite for the first time. Is Luminae fully functional in the sense that the new tables/chairs/dishes/cutlery has all been delivered and set-up or are they still waiting for anything? Any dishes you would highly recommend?

Chris

Don, it was great to meet up with you and your family. Brian seemed to be enjoying himself the most. :)

Hope to meet up with you on a future cruise. It was such a pleasure sailing with you.

We had traditional dining, and with the new Suite restaurant blocking a previous entrance to the lower deck of the dining room, the first few nights it was a real zoo getting into the 2nd seating with just the one entrance.

Buffet area much improved for those evening diners who chose not to partake of the dining room. Lots of options, and back aft they had grilled steak and marinated grilled chicken to order as well as several carving stations.

Great cruise, love Summit, and will be back next year. :)

Hi Mindi,

Thanks for the information. I am cruising on Summit in a couple of weeks in a suite for the first time. Is Luminae fully functional in the sense that the new tables/chairs/dishes/cutlery has all been delivered and set-up or are they still waiting for anything? Any dishes you would highly recommend?

Chris

From my observation, it appears that Luminae is fully functional. I am sorry, but I am not sure I would notice whether or not plates, cutlery, etc are new. Everything was very nice. For lunch they rotate 2 menus. They are limited but both have nice options. The lobster bisque on one of the menus is very tasty.

I only ate dinner in Luminae twice. I had NY Strip which was delicious and on the second formal night, I had the butter poached lobster tail in champagne sauce...also very good. The seared scallops are also a winner.

Enjoy Luminae. You will not be disappointed. :D

Glad you enjoyed your cruise.

So you would say it was definitely worth the $69 fee? We've booked this as well but have been on the fence. Was it busy/packed? Did they lost the luncheon menu online?