Shooting clay pigeons off balconies or stern of ship?

smellycruzer

I used to cruise with Premier Cruises in the Caribbean out of Santo Domingo in the '90s and always enjoyed the clay pigeon shooting sessions off the stern of the ship on days at sea.

On my last Princess cruise I heard a few deck attendants mentioning that clay pigeon shooting has been discussed by Princess and may be back in the near future from the stern of the ship or stern-facing suites. Can anyone corroborate these plans?

I used to cruise with Premier Cruises in the Caribbean out of Santo Domingo in the '90s and always enjoyed the clay pigeon shooting sessions off the stern of the ship on days at sea.

On my last Princess cruise I heard a few deck attendants mentioning that clay pigeon shooting has been discussed by Princess and may be back in the near future from the stern of the ship or stern-facing suites. Can anyone corroborate these plans?

With the current laws about what can go into the ocean from a cruise ship I would say pretty unlikely. Maybe a virtual shooting gallery like on the Regal and the Royal. I did the virtual shooting gallery on the Regal, and, while kind of fun, not really like the "real" thing.

I remember doing this a few times in the late 80's and early 90's.

One time there was a young teen boy who could hardly miss. He said he'd never shot a gun before but played a lot of video shooting games.

I have wondered if they couldn't use some sort of compressed material that totally dissolved in water or even that the fish could eat [even perhaps ice] as the targets and then rock salt instead of lead.

I have wondered if they couldn't use some sort of compressed material that totally dissolved in water or even that the fish could eat [even perhaps ice] as the targets and then rock salt instead of lead.

I would guess a lot of liability that the cruise line doesn't want or need. Things like a poorly controlled rifle (shooter "error"), a hang-fire shell, a miss-fire that backfires into the shooter. Things happen, not often, but you are dealing with potentially a lethal situation. Even with rock salt there is still gun powder involved and all of the possibilities of a serious accident type of situation.

I would guess a lot of liability that the cruise line doesn't want or need. Things like a poorly controlled rifle (shooter "error"), a hang-fire shell, a miss-fire that backfires into the shooter. Things happen, not often, but you are dealing with potentially a lethal situation. Even with rock salt there is still gun powder involved and all of the possibilities of a serious accident type of situation.

No doubt liability is the big issue, the rock salt was a pollution solution.

I think the closest we are ever likely to see is a computer game type thing on the big screen.

I suspect it would send a message that it is OK to put stuff into the ocean that Princess really doesn't want to send. Yes, the ships do discharge into the ocean, but that's a bit different. It's not done to amuse the passengers or in plain sight.

Edited by Wehwalt

It's totally legal to discharge clay pigeons into the water on the high seas, but I do not ever see allowing passengers to handle live firearms again, especially post 9/11.

You are correct......

There is no way they will put a 20 gauge back in the hands of a passenger.

There are actually environmentally safe targets and ammo now, but VERY expensive.

But as noted, I think the bigger issue would be liability because even getting hit with the esafe ammo would be fatal.

If Princess Cay was a lot bigger, would be cool to have them set up a range at a point where it wouldn't disturb the beach.