Overnight in Istanbul

jennyfranco

We're boarding the Equinox on Sept. 19th in Istanbul, but the ship does not leave until 1:00 on Sept. 20.

My question - what time should we board on the 19th, and secondly, after we have boarded, can we leave the ship again to continue touring Istanbul without our bags?

Any advice would be appreciated.

We just got off the Equinox however we boarded in Rome around 11:30 and were overnight in Istanbul. I'm pretty sure after you check in and get your pic taken for your sea card you will be able to get back off and tour the city. Have fun but be prepared for lots of people. Istanbul is a city of 16 million.

We're boarding the Equinox on Sept. 19th in Istanbul, but the ship does not leave until 1:00 on Sept. 20.

My question - what time should we board on the 19th, and secondly, after we have boarded, can we leave the ship again to continue touring Istanbul without our bags?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Once you board the ship on the 19th you can leave the ship. Just make sure you are back in time to attend the muster drill and that you are back on board at least thirty (sixty would better) minutes before the ship leaves on the 20th.

We had friends that overnighted in Istanbul and were out on the aft bar for evening prayers. They could hear the "call to prayer" all over the city at sunset and said it was magical. I would love to experience it - on the bucket list!!

Our cruise was diverted from Israel in 2012 and we wound up spending 2 unplanned days in Istanbul. No way did we think this sounded magical...no further comment about it now.

We had friends that overnighted in Istanbul and were out on the aft bar for evening prayers. They could hear the "call to prayer" all over the city at sunset and said it was magical. I would love to experience it - on the bucket list!!

This was one of my favorite experiences, we went to a little restaurant in town near the Blue Mosque & DH videoed as the calls went out, looking forward to returning some day. :)

& to the OP, you can come & go as you please once checked in. :)

Got on board in Istanbul about 3pm of first day.

Sitting at sunset bar area as the call to prayer went out across the city was beautiful and told me I was not in Kansas!:)

At night, the mosques, the tower are all lit up. Docked right near the old part of city.

Second day I organized a private tour for eight for the day.

Sailaway was memorable as we started our 12 day Turkey/ Greek Island cruise.

We spent three days in Istanbul afterwards.

I would go back in a heartbeat.

Our cruise was diverted from Israel in 2012 and we wound up spending 2 unplanned days in Istanbul. No way did we think this sounded magical...no further comment about it now.

Our cruise in 2011 was diverted from Egypt to Istanbul due to the uprising. The main reason for that cruise was to visit Egypt as we had been to most other ports. We were diappointed but dw loved Istanbul. Safety first.

Edited by dabear

Hi Debbie,

I agree, Istanbul is a fantastic city. Especially for those of us who like cats! :D

https://picasaweb.google.com/117120496601879777314/CatsOfTurkeyAndIsrael

I hope you are able to return soon. I will be going back again in October 2016.

Anne

Hi Anne, thanks for the lovely photos! I'm headed back to the West Med next year, not east, but we just did a major :eek: downsize in our house & grounds so we can spend more time (& $ ) traveling! Hoping for a land trip back to Istanbul.

Enjoy your time there next year!

Debbie,

I highly recommend the Holy Land cruise that leaves from Istanbul. Easy to spend time in Istanbul and Turkey before the cruise. That's what I did last year and enjoyed it so much I am returning for more next October. One of my favorite itineraries ever.

Have fun on your Med cruise next year.

Anne

We will be joining you on this cruise. Looking forward to it and planning our touring as we approach the "3 months to go" mark. We are definitely planning on boarding, then dropping our carry-ons and getting off to explore. I have been reading in Rick Steves' guide about how easy it is to navigate via the tram. I will love the ship "Equinox" but no way will I be sitting on it when in one of the most exciting cities in the world. Have you registered on the roll call?

We enjoyed Istanbul very much but I would love to visit Egypt, but no way DH will travel to that part of the world right now.

Yes, Unfortunately Egypt, like quite a few others in the region are a bit too risky for my wife and I. too many other places that we can see and feel safer.:D

Edited by MicCanberra