Canada/New England Last-minute

voyageur9

HAL's Alaska cruises, perhaps because so many ships from various lines are competing, often have great last-minute prices. (That seems to be happening again this year.)

Does anyone have prior experience or knowledge about HAL load factors and or the probability of similar last-minute deals on the Canada/New England cruises in August?

Thanks in advance.

Not sure about August, but we got an amazing last minute deal for the 14day reposition cruise end of Sept a few years back and it was fantastic. I think the chances of a great deal mid season are a lot less back there, but if you keep an eye out you may find something. Airfare may be a different story though!

HAL's Alaska cruises, perhaps because so many ships from various lines are competing, often have great last-minute prices. (That seems to be happening again this year.)

Does anyone have prior experience or knowledge about HAL load factors and or the probability of similar last-minute deals on the Canada/New England cruises in August?

Thanks in advance.

I don't watch HAL pricing very carefully, but have noticed the early cruises in May have had good last-minute prices. Pricing doesn't seem to drop much for the summer or fall itineraries. The spring and fall repos can have good last minute pricing, if you want to cruise for that long. I'm keeping that Montreal/NY cruise in October in my back pocket just in case pricing drops to a reasonable level, even though I'd rather do the NCL Gem this year. The way my finances are going this year, I may end up going nowhere.:(

Also, FWIW, the price of the Historic Coasts cruise (7-day RT from Boston on Veendam in late August 2015) has reduced by a few hundred dollars. Pricing for that cruise doesn't move much. The total is still too expensive for me, but maybe not for you.

Not much to lose by trying. Keep looking and maybe you'll get lucky. :)

Of course, if you need air, what you may save for the cruise, you could end up paying high price for the air. If you don't need to fly, all the better.

Our September New York to Quebec cruise has not moved much. There was one very early price drop and then a big increase. Last week the price dropped a few hundred dollars for our category but is still higher than price before the increase. Our category cabin in now guaranty only.

Hi

Been looking on this cruise did not care what daye as I live here. but if you go to Hal site a lot of cabins are gone. I am fussy I want middle of ship and not down lower on the ship. Later in season are much more expensive. Octor the leaves changes. But there are no cabins I like. Do not care if they are balcony. Looking for something now had a horrible spring and need a cruise. I may wait and do a b/b in January watching those also. just making sure no be groups are on the ship.

Mary

Last year, I got a really good price on the Veendam in September. It was a 14 day cruise (2 B2B cruises sold as one cruise) RT out of Boston. I booked after final payment and got a mid-ship inside cabin on the Lower Promenade. I wanted a cheap cruise and decided to try an inside as I hadn't sailed without a balcony in several years. It was a good deal for the price. Colors hadn't changed most of the way up, but the fall foliage was brilliant in Quebec City. Weather was still pleasant for the most part. If you want a deal you have to be persistent in shopping for the right price. Sometimes you find it and sometimes you don't.

Edited by KruzPrincess

Last year, I got a really good price on the Veendam in September. It was a 14 day cruise (2 B2B cruises sold as one cruise) RT out of Boston. I booked after final payment and got a mid-ship inside cabin on the Lower Promenade. I wanted a cheap cruise and decided to try an inside as I hadn't sailed without a balcony in several years. It was a good deal for the price. Colors hadn't changed most of the way up, but the fall foliage was brilliant in Quebec City. Weather was still pleasant for the most part. If you want a deal you have to be persistent in shopping for the right price. Sometimes you find it and sometimes you don't.

Of course, I wouldn't ask you the price but would you 'guesstimate' you got 15% off or thereabouts?

Of course, I wouldn't ask you the price but would you 'guesstimate' you got 15% off or thereabouts?

There was a 14 day Boston to Boston on the Veendam departing on 9/5 that was marked down quite a bit earlier in the week. It was in a sale email we received. Not all the categories were available, but they seemed to be in the neighborhood of 15%-20% lower than they had been. I wasn't really watching the two week cruise prices closely, but I was watching the second half (Quebec City to Boston.)

I don't mind telling you the price. I'm proud that I got such a great deal! :) I sail solo and HAL usually charges 200% for a single person in a cabin. If I recall correctly, I paid about $2000 plus fees. so I think it was about $1000 per person double occupancy. This wasn't a guarantee either. My TA called and they gave her a choice of cabins available and I picked the one on the Lower Promenade because I thought the access to the outside was a great option. Airfare wasn't horrible since I made reservations to fly in and out of Boston rather than the open jaw of flying to or from Canada. That's actually why I chose that cruise. Flights for me in or out of Quebec City were expensive and had difficult connections. The only thing that was pricey was the Boston hotel the night before the cruise.

There was a 14 day Boston to Boston on the Veendam departing on 9/5 that was marked down quite a bit earlier in the week. It was in a sale email we received. Not all the categories were available, but they seemed to be in the neighborhood of 15%-20% lower than they had been. I wasn't really watching the two week cruise prices closely, but I was watching the second half (Quebec City to Boston.)

I don't mind telling you the price. I'm proud that I got such a great deal! :) I sail solo and HAL usually charges 200% for a single person in a cabin. If I recall correctly, I paid about $2000 plus fees. so I think it was about $1000 per person double occupancy. This wasn't a guarantee either. My TA called and they gave her a choice of cabins available and I picked the one on the Lower Promenade because I thought the access to the outside was a great option. Airfare wasn't horrible since I made reservations to fly in and out of Boston rather than the open jaw of flying to or from Canada. That's actually why I chose that cruise. Flights for me in or out of Quebec City were expensive and had difficult connections. The only thing that was pricey was the Boston hotel the night before the cruise.

Thanks for sharing.

Those are very good prices.

We have done Maasdam b-to-b, Boston to Montreal to Boston many times and love it. Our last cruise with my late DH was Veendam, Boston to Boston, and I love that itinerary as well.

I may start watching the prices. I live in Boston so last minute is fine and no air necessary.

Like you, Kruz Princess, the cruise lines have been charging me 200%, as well. Thank you again for the information.

Thanks for sharing.

Those are very good prices.

We have done Maasdam b-to-b, Boston to Montreal to Boston many times and love it. Our last cruise with my late DH was Veendam, Boston to Boston, and I love that itinerary as well.

I may start watching the prices. I live in Boston so last minute is fine and no air necessary.

Like you, Kruz Princess, the cruise lines have been charging me 200%, as well. Thank you again for the information.

You're welcome. I'm sorry for your loss. I usually cruise on Princess and they sometimes sell inside and OV cabins for less than 200%, but balcony and above are almost always 200%. Unfortunately, I do love my balcony . ;) I just booked an Alaska cruise on HAL and am trying an inside again. Once again, it was 200%. I hope you find your deal and have a great cruise.

(bold is mine) That's another thing that makes watching prices difficult. If HAL doesn't want people to think they drop prices at the end, they can avoid that impression by leaving prices as they are on the website and then sending out a sale email.