Minor Pet Peev re: new 123GO promos

dbsb3233

I keep getting these Celebrity promos in the mail and email that say "123GO is back" and other similar wording. But they seem be getting more and more deceptive about making it clear you ONLY get 1 of the 3 perks (or 2 on certain Europe cruises). Like the the mailer I just got a few days ago. On the front, all it says is:

123GO!

Where the grass is greener

1. FREE Drinks

2. FREE Tips

3. Up To $300 To Spend

Nowhere on that page does it say anything about ONLY being able to pick one of them. Nor does it say anything about that on the back. Only after you open it up and read the details does it say "Offer choices", and even then it doesn't make it clear you only get one. It should say "PICK ONE offer", or something that makes it clearer that you relly only get 1 of the 3.

I also find the "each additional guest gets xxxxx" annoying as well. To someone not knowing any better, that might sound like the 2nd person in the room gets that (rather than only the 3rd or 4th).

While I'm not really surprised at deceptive wording in mailers, I don't remember it being quite this bad from Celebrity before.

As in any offer or promotion (anywhere) one needs to read the "fine print". The devil is in the details.

No doubt. You always expect that to some degree. I've just found it getting worse on these new mailers. You really have to search deeper now to see that you really only get 1 of the 3. It used to be at least somewhat clearer (and less blatent) in the past, IIRC.

Of course, since I got all 3 for the 2016 Baltic cruise I booked earlier this year (supposedly the final time they said they would offer that anymore), I'm always a bit excited when it looks like they changed their minds and might offer it again. ;)

Edited by dbsb3233

No doubt. You always expect that to some degree. I've just found it getting worse on these new mailers. You really have to search deeper now to see that you really only get 1 of the 3. It used to be at least somewhat clearer (and less blatent) in the past, IIRC.

Of course, since I got all 3 for the 2016 Baltic cruise I booked earlier this year (supposedly the final time they said they would offer that anymore), I'm always a bit excited when it looks like they changed their minds and might offer it again. ;)

I can fully appreciate what you are saying. Enjoy what you received for the Baltics cruise, and hopefully another similar offer will come along in the future. Never say never with Celebrity! :)

That was an earlier promo.

I'd forgotten about that, but I think the blurb I read said that they still plan to offer all 3 on some cruises at the Concierge level. Just not at the balcony level like they had been.

We never book above oceanview or balcony level (just too pricey for us) so I'd forgotten about that.

But as you say, ya never know if it might change again in the future if they need to offer more to compete.

Edited by dbsb3233

I'm sure most of us have cruises booked where we have received all 3 perks. However, since the OP is speaking specifically about the latest 1-2-3GO, what happened in the past is pretty much irrelevant to this discussion.

I'm sure most of us have cruises booked where we have received all 3 perks. However, since the OP is speaking specifically about the latest 1-2-3GO, what happened in the past is pretty much irrelevant to this discussion.

Actually getting all 3 with booking a Concierge or higher is still available. It's not advertised, but it's still there.

I hate that it never applies to an inside room. Talk about a deceptive tease.

Think about it this way: if they applied the perk to the inside cabins, the price would go up several hundred dollars per person. By not offering the perk on the inside cabins, they can keep those prices low for the people who truly want or need a much lower cruise cost. For some people, they wouldn't be able to cruise if those low inside prices were eliminated.

I personally like all the options. Last summer I didn't plan on taking a vacation and had no vacation budget at all. However, I found a super-cheap inside cabin (not on Celebrity) and was able to take a 7-day cruise that I would never otherwise have been able to do. Very small, no perks, but it was great!

Think about it this way: if they applied the perk to the inside cabins, the price would go up several hundred dollars per person. By not offering the perk on the inside cabins, they can keep those prices low for the people who truly want or need a much lower cruise cost. For some people, they wouldn't be able to cruise if those low inside prices were eliminated.

I personally like all the options. Last summer I didn't plan on taking a vacation and had no vacation budget at all. However, I found a super-cheap inside cabin (not on Celebrity) and was able to take a 7-day cruise that I would never otherwise have been able to do. Very small, no perks, but it was great!

That's the same concept that some of these ultra-low cost airlines are using now (like Spirit and Frontier). You can get all the full features if you pay for them ad hoc, but if they include them in the base price for everyone then it prices many people out of flying altogether. Yeah, it's a pain to get nickel and dimed but for those that can't afford or just don't want to pay for all the extras, it's better this way. The base fares can be dirt cheap.

While we do have the money to pay for more on cruises if we wanted, I'd rather travel more frugally so that we can go on more cruises to more places more frequently. ;) So we usually book OV cabins and buy almost no extras onboard. We cruise mainly for the destinations anyway, not the "cruise experience". Cruising is a great, easy way to travel without all the mess of checking in and out of hotels, always looking for transportation and restaurants, etc.

Edited by dbsb3233

That's exactly true. And conversely, some of us who prefer to cruise at least a balcony cabin are not always happy that the prices are so much higher as the perks do not always make up for the price differential. For example, we are Elite + so get a certain amount of drinks for being at that level (as well as specialty coffees), and I am very 'lightweight' when it comes to drinking regardless, so the beverage package perk does not really add a lot of value to my cruise. It is a nice to have for sure, but not worth the extra cost it is no doubt adding to my cruise fare. I am, in effect, subsidizing those who make very good use of the package. There is no way to make it fair and 'best case' for everyone, but at least this way if someone loves Celebrity but needs really good budget prices, there is an option available. If they start adding perks to lower level cabins the prices will rise to cover them and it will price some off the ship.

I fully understand and mainly agree with what you are saying. My comment referred to the huge advertising of sales like 123Go etc. You only find out when you read the small print. They certainly don't tell you up front. Repeat cruisers know mainly , that most of the time inside cabins rarely get great perks, but new or one time cruisers can get fooled thinking they can get a cheap inside cabin and all the perks glamorized in the ad. I personally don't like seeing the constant barrage of promos that get emailed , knowing that we usually get an inside cabin most of the time.

Edited by bananawindnj

Previously, we almost always just booked a regular balcony or sunset veranda. However, lately with these 123GO all-inclusives that include all 3 perks with a concierge or higher, we have been booking Aqua cabins for only a little more or the same as a regular balcony, when you do the math for what it includes. Well worth it, especially when booking early!

Great bang for our buck!!

That happens with all advertising. How many times have you read an ad for a car with no money down and zero percent financing - then you read the fine print and find out that you need a credit rating of 860 to qualify.

DON

I have just got all 3 when booking on the cruise for a future cruise. I have booked another Alaskan Cruise on the Infinity for next year. I paid a low deposit (£89) for a Concierge Class cabin and got $150 obc on the cruise I was already on plus $350 obc for the cruise I just booked, plus a Classic drinks package plus gratuities included.

If I change my mind about the cruise I can move the booking to another one without any penalty (even though I am in the UK) apparently the policy changed on that about a year ago.

I'm happy!:)

Edited by Deeliteful