Royal Cabin Experts Please

Murphey

Please help me make a cabin selection. I know it's a lot of work to look at these, but this will be for a Med 28 day cruise....a "bucket" list trip and cabin selection will be important. I have no experience with this new ship. A huge thank you if any one can provide input! :D

A733

B737, 736, 732

E726, 724, 440, 404

D507, 619

OR, if you feel you should direct me elsewhere, we are open to suggestions!!!

I am on my mobile so can't get plans but the general advice is to choose a cabin:

With cabins on the deck above and below

With interior cabins across the hall from it - not near lifts or the laundry

Not very far aft or very forward if you suffer from sea sickness

Not on the side of the skywalk for 3 or 4 decks below and around the walkway as there may be privacy issues

Not below or aft of the smoking areas on the top deck (not 100% sure where this is, sorry)

Not in the aft cabins if a possible soot issue may worry you.

Edited by paddingtonbear

In the past we have been true aft people or Caribe deck people. We always knew the secret cabins (for us!) and what exactly to book. Now we are at a loss.

I appreciate the above comments.

Hi Murphey,

I just did a quick look and wanted to let you know some

things I would think of for a long trip like yours.

I see you have Deluxe Balcony and regular Balcony's listed.

Beware, there is a difference.

Deluxe have a sofa and regulars do not so give that some thought

if you hang out in the cabin it gives you somewhere else to sit.

Also think you had obstructed views listed. You need

to know how obstructed it is and with what. Some don't have

glass to look thru below the rail and it would be metal. Some have

lifeboats or partial lifeboats that might block some of your view.

There is a good post that has pictures of the obstructed view cabins,

sorry I don't the exact title but someone will come along and tell you.

People mention that the Royal has small balconies. So if you plan on using it keep that in mind.

I'm going on the Royal in August and I picked one of the cabin that have the angled

balcony E408 so there should be is a bit more room.

The other thing people talk about a lot is the lack of a center stair case.

Yes there is an elevator but no stairs above the 7 deck.

Good luck with the decision and hope I helped answer some of your questions.

Mac

When we were on the Royal we stayed in cabin B611 which was a standard balcony cabin with a smallish 9’x4’ balcony. Most Deluxe and Std. balcony cabins have this size balcony, but there are a small number that have larger balconies. We found the std. balcony cabin to be just fine. We do not spend time in the cabin and a sofa would have little use for us.

It has been well reported that aft facing cabins have soot issues and at times their balconies are not so useful. If it were me I would not choose B737 & B736. I would also not chance the furthest aft port and starboard cabins A733, B732, E726, E724 on the off chance that they may get some soot. Cabins D507, D619 are fine. Both have the 9’x4’ balcony. E440 has a 9’x4’ balcony with obstructed view. D404 has and obstructed view, but the balcony is larger. Generally an obstructed view means you can look straight out, but not directly down.

Another issue on the Royal Princess is the lack of a center staircase. Some passengers select cabins nearer to the fwd and aft staircases to make it easier to use the stairs especially when going down.

Hope this information helps you make a selection.

Any cabin on Emerald deck in the 700's. LOVE the location. Quiet, private, easy/quick access to the stairs and Promenade deck, etc. No soot... I'd book this location any day of the week.

Edited by Pam in CA

Thanks...I knew the CC community would come to my rescue. Yes, lack of center staircase is an issue for me as I try never to take the elevator. DH just meets me wherever :) Also thank you for clarifying what an obstructed view balcony would be....out, but not down. Seems like a nothing to me, but who knows!! Too bad for the soot issues....in the past we've loved true aft balconies. I assume they haven't resolved this issue.

Thanks again folks....still open to other suggestions! Am leaning toward Pam's suggestion of Emerald 700's.

Both times we sailed on Regal and Royal we were near the forward stairs and elevators. We were in E322 on the Regal in January and LOVED the location as we could take the stairs down to the Piazza, International Café, etc. If choosing the Emerald deck I would NOT want to be mid ship as you will miss the center stairs!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We got a "near the forward elevators" on our trip and found it very convenient.

(we were carib and would prefer a deck or two lower)

down past the spa through reception/shore to the piazza/int cafe.

Late night club6 for happy hour.

getting on/off the ship was always mid or forward.

Not sure about outside access going up it was a cold trip so did not use but seems it would be handy for the retreat/pool.

Aft seems to be popular and handy for the buffet, trad dining, gym, smokers area, sport etc. since the only entertainment there is Vista I don't think it is so convenient.

Edited by insidecabin

We have been in A616 which is about 3 doors from the laundry. No issues with noise and loved the location. Not far from the aft stairs. We had to move cabins for our next trip (we were on b2b booked separately) and were in C209. This is not too far from the forward stairs. Only issue we had is we were not near the laundry!

The midship cabins have larger balconies if you want a larger balconies to research. There are some forward facing balconies that are also quite large. If you click on the deck plans, you will see a description of the cabin size. We favor mid ship for the smooth ride.

We used the stairs forward and aft a lot not because of the elevators, but because we had to walk forward to get to the Princess Theater and the Retreat Pool and aft to get to the Horizon Court and the jogging track. We used the mid-ship elevators when we wanted to go down to the Atrium. During the day, there was no crowding or waiting any more than any of the other Princess ships. Crowding and wait times increased at dinner time and returning from shore near sailing time. If we were using the elevators to go to dinner, we waited until the 5:30 early seating began and then had free run of the elevators. If we were to use the elevators to go up to Lido deck, we ended up walking forward or aft to reach the areas we frequent.

There are stairs mid-ship for emergency use and during muster drills.

:D Enjoy your cruise what ever you decide.

Any cabin on Emerald deck in the 700's. LOVE the location. Quiet, private, easy/quick access to the stairs and Promenade deck, etc. No soot... I'd book this location any day of the week.

Good location. :)

We love this location as well, and here is a tip:

Choose cabins on the port side if you want to avoid potential cigarette smoke from the Promenade deck below, as smoking is only allowed on the starboard side.

We had Aloha 515 on the Regal and have booked Riviera 515 on the Royal. It's a mini, but I would also take the closest balcony or deluxe balcony. Great spot, middle elevators were never a problem, and they bring you to the center of the action.

To clarify, the Emerald deck 700 balconies have no obstruction. None. Nada. The only thing "blocking" your view are the lifeboats if you're at the railing and looking directly forward. Outward and 180-degrees is a clear view. You're far enough aft that it's a non-issue. These cabins are aft of the elevators and stairs so that the only people in the hallway are those in nearby cabins. There's no other foot traffic.

Edited by Pam in CA

We love this location as well, and here is a tip:

Choose cabins on the port side if you want to avoid potential cigarette smoke from the Promenade deck below, as smoking is only allowed on the starboard side.

OOOh, good point about the smoke from the promenade deck...This would be an issue as I have lung cancer (non-smoker-go figure). Thus the reason for the "bucket list" trip. Will be "kicking" it sooner rather than later. Hey, you've got to keep your sense of humor. ;)

Thanks to all for your input!!!!! All interesting stuff.