Drink Prices Not That Bad

I'd say around 2-3 cocktails by the pool and 4glasses of wine per evening just a guess trying to work out if it's worth paying for an alcohol package.

Can the drinks package be used at dinner??

Yes, the drink package can be used at dinner. Is that count per person or for two people? 2-3 cocktails by the pool seems like enough for one person, but 4 glasses of wine at dinner sounds like a lot (to me) for one.

I'd say around 2-3 cocktails by the pool and 4glasses of wine per evening just a guess trying to work out if it's worth paying for an alcohol package.

Yes, the drink packages can be used in all restaurants.

I'd say the Premium package would be worth it to you. Even if we go with your lower estimate of 2 cocktails and 4 glasses of wine, that's going to be at least $60 per day, excluding tips. The Premium package is $49 per day, excluding tips.

3 Cocktails + 4 glasses of wine @ average $11 + 18% tip is another $2 so $13 X 7 = $91

Any specialty coffee? Soft drink?, Bottles/Sparkling water?

dp

Yes, the drink package can be used at dinner. Is that count per person or for two people? 2-3 cocktails by the pool seems like enough for one person, but 4 glasses of wine at dinner sounds like a lot (to me) for one.

SorryI meant for 2 people we will be on excursions for 3 days so won't consume that amount ever day lol

We're off the DCL Fantasy three weeks ago and I could almost get two drinks for the price of one on RCCL. DCL also allows an almost unlimited supply of alcohol as carry on. You could stuff a carry-on bag full of liquor and they do not care. We walked right on after the first port with bottles of liquor without having to stop at the liquor table to give it up.

To me this isn't a fair comparison though as the base fare of a Disney cruise is much, MUCH higher than a Royal cruise to begin with. What they're not charging in alcohol, they're certainly more than making up for in cruise fares.

3 Cocktails + 4 glasses of wine @ average $11 + 18% tip is another $2 so $13 X 7 = $91

Any specialty coffee? Soft drink?, Bottles/Sparkling water?

dp

I like speciality coffee not bothered about sodas, bottled water yes!

SorryI meant for 2 people we will be on excursions for 3 days so won't consume that amount ever day lol

Then the Premium drink package would probably not be cost effective for you.

Bob, I'll take you up on your estimation offer as I'm trying to advise friends with whom we're sailing. (DH and I are Diamond so we are ok). Mr friend will probably drink 5-6 Canadian Club or similar on the rocks per day, Mrs friend will drink 4-5 Chardonnays per day. 7 night cruise with 2 days at sea so on those days maybe a beer or two for each. So that's roughly 35 CCs and 35 wines and maybe 4 beers. What's your take?? Thanks so much,

Linda

(Gee that seems like all when it's written down lol)

Bob, I'll take you up on your estimation offer as I'm trying to advise friends with whom we're sailing. (DH and I are Diamond so we are ok). Mr friend will probably drink 5-6 Canadian Club or similar on the rocks per day, Mrs friend will drink 4-5 Chardonnays per day. 7 night cruise with 2 days at sea so on those days maybe a beer or two for each. So that's roughly 35 CCs and 35 wines and maybe 4 beers. What's your take?? Thanks so much,

Linda

(Gee that seems like all when it's written down lol)

Let me see if I understand. Your friends will drink less on the sea days and more on the port days?

How did you like MSC? we did a old ship 10 years ago and loved the food

Not to sidetrack the thread from RCL's crazy drink prices:D,,,,,,

We booked the MSC Divina, 3 yrs. old, 140,000 tons ship out of Miami (except summers), a beautiful ship, great drink prices, great old fashion cruise line entertainment, very good free food, and we paid $400. per person for a 7 day cruise in a 'Balcony'!:eek:

In 2017 MSC is bringing the new 'Seaside'concept ship to Miami, check it out now online! Awesome!:D

MSC Yacht Club is similar to the NCL Haven 'ship within a ship concept', really over the top service, and about 25% less expensive then NCL! Suite cruisers on RCL should check it out! The service is outstanding, and you'll be spoiled.:D

2 cocktails and 4 glasses of wine (assuming the wine is $8+ 18% gratuity) is $65 a day, which hits the breakeven point for the ultimate package. If you're not that fussed about specialty coffees/fresh OJ, then you could get the premium package for $55 a day.

Yes, you can use the drinks package at dinner in the main dining room.

That's one of the funniest things I've read recently.

I picked a random date in June 2016... 7 night, Eastern Caribbean Sailing, Two Adults:

Disney Fantasy (June 18)

Interior: $4,973

OV: $5,449

Balcony: $5,827

Concierge: $9,481

RCI Freedom Of the Seas (June 19)

Interior: $2,771

OV: $2,795

Balcony: $2,664

Concierge: $3,762

*NOTE: All prices are the lowest priced cabin in each category

If I could afford the prices for Disney, I could afford the drink packages on RCI.

I don't think it's just the current cost of the drinks on RCI that has people upset, but the drink cost INCREASE that recently happened. If you're used to paying $2/gallon for gas, and the next day the price went up to $2.80 (40% increase), you'd be complaining also.

I'd disagree, its the prices also!

Like I stated previously, RCL has the highest drink prices right now!

You want to compare prices,,,,

I sailed on an almost new large MSC ship out of Miami called the Divina, beautiful ship, cost $400. per person per week for a balcony(a sale they were running), drinks could be bought in voucher books,

14 mixed drinks=$72. including gratuity=about $5.15 a drink!

Bottled beer was 12 vouchers=$52. including gratuity=about $4.34 a beer!

That's on a Miami based cruise, on a major cruise line(currently ranked #4) in a beautiful, newer, large ship!

So there's a fair comparison that exposes the craziness of RCL's new prices!:eek:

How about Carnival where you can order booze/or beer to be delivered to your cabin at prices less then 50% of what you'd pay on RCL now!

And its not just about whether you can afford it, most can, but its getting value for your money. $12-$14. for one drink is value(?), well we got some prime Florida swamp land for you!

I guess people can be coned into anything!:D

2 cocktails and 4 glasses of wine (assuming the wine is $8+ 18% gratuity) is $65 a day, which hits the breakeven point for the ultimate package. ...

Maybe I misunderstood, but I believe the estimate for the number of drinks was the total for two people.

Edited by clarea

Let me see if I understand. Your friends will drink less on the sea days and more on the port days?

Lol no - the beers would be in addition to the other drinks but I figure we will be off the ship 5 of the 7 days during the day so no beer at lunch. I think the premium package is what they need - right ?

Lol no - the beers would be in addition to the other drinks but I figure we will be off the ship 5 of the 7 days during the day so no beer at lunch. I think the premium package is what they need - right ?

Yes, I would agree, if your estimates are based on daily average, and especially adding the beers on the sea days, I'd say the Premium package would be worth it.

I'd disagree, its the prices also!

Like I stated previously, RCL has the highest drink prices right now!

You want to compare prices,,,,

I sailed on an almost new large MSC ship out of Miami called the Divina, beautiful ship, cost $400. per person per week for a balcony(a sale they were running), drinks could be bought in voucher books,

14 mixed drinks=$72. including gratuity=about $5.15 a drink!

Bottled beer was 12 vouchers=$52. including gratuity=about $4.34 a beer!

That's on a Miami based cruise, on a major cruise line(currently ranked #4) in a beautiful, newer, large ship!

So there's a fair comparison that exposes the craziness of RCL's new prices!:eek:

How about Carnival where you can order booze/or beer to be delivered to your cabin at prices less then 50% of what you'd pay on RCL now!

And its not just about whether you can afford it, most can, but its getting value for your money. $12-$14. for one drink is value(?), well we got some prime Florida swamp land for you!

I guess people can be coned into anything!:D

I think you missed my point. If drinks were $10 and they went up to $11, people wouldn't be complaining as much. Or if the drinks would have gone to $9 from $8, people wouldn't have been complaining as much.

I do think the drink prices are too high. But, that will either push me to a package, or I won't drink as much (not that I drink a lot to begin with).

The majority of the post you quoted was in response to a PP who claimed Disney doesn't gouge it's customers.

I think $5.50 for a beer is outrageous! I mean, that's the price of a 6-pack. I know about mark-ups, but this is way overpriced. I think $5.50 for a mixed drink is high, but better than $7.00!

You all must live in expensive cities, if you think those are fair prices!

I think it depends on what type of establishment you visit. I think $5.50 for a mixed drink is not all that unreasonable.

I take it you have never been to a professional sporting event? Beers are normally in the $8 - $12 range. RCL is downright reasonable!

I agree! We paid $9.75 for a beer in Chicago at a recent Fire game so if RCCL is charging $5.50, that's a real bargain for a beer. We're sailing on the Allure in November so I'm still deciding if we need a drink package or not. Glad everyone is sharing their drink prices.

Yes, I would agree, if your estimates are based on daily average, and especially adding the beers on the sea days, I'd say the Premium package would be worth it.

Thanks again, Bob - just to make sure I understand, can one person in the cabin buy the Premium Package and the other buy nothing? Our friends are figuring that if they bring 2 bottles of wine on board, and have a couple of bottles of wine pre-purchased and waiting in their cabin, the wife will be in good shape.....and the husband can use his package for his CCs and beers.

Linda

Thanks again, Bob - just to make sure I understand, can one person in the cabin buy the Premium Package and the other buy nothing? Our friends are figuring that if they bring 2 bottles of wine on board, and have a couple of bottles of wine pre-purchased and waiting in their cabin, the wife will be in good shape.....and the husband can use his package for his CCs and beers.

Linda

Correct, Royal does not require all guests in a stateroom to purchase a package.