Drink Prices Not That Bad

I haven't read through ALL of the comments, but I believe the price increase is just another marketing ploy to make it justifiable to buy a package. I bet every person whose defending it buys the package. I'm not sure what the prices are, but to me spending $400 or $450 per person a week to drink is ridiculous. Could be sort of a brilliant move on RC'S part, and it sure seems to be working. I won't be buying into it.

I've spent FAR more than that to drink on Monarch in 1999. Royal is losing on us on the package. Just like some buffets lose on the big eaters. It's all numbers.

Might want to avoid Massachusetts as restaurants and bars here can't even have happy hour specials. Even Embassy Suites in Massachusetts can't offer free alcohol at their nightly evening reception.

Learned that on our Gem TA several years ago

2.50 - 3.25 most everywhere around here :) many places will run a 1.50 "longneck" special for several hours a day. Mixed drinks in the 6.00 - 7.00 range. A little more for "top shelf".

Now you see why I think the prices are outrageous now on the ships. I guess Im a little spoiled when it comes to drink prices when going out as compared others. Couple that with the fact that a Lava Flow was only 8.00 + 15% up until March when they went to 12.00 + 18% :eek: Even though I knew this going in, it was still a shock for sure!

At our little local diner I pay just under $6 for a pint of draught. The canned beer I buy (not Bud, Miller etc) is around $13-14 a 6 pack at a Provincial Liquor Store (cheaper than private Cold Beer and Wine places). I have issues on cruise ships as we are very used to craft beers here in Victoria and a lot of our restaurants have their own little micro brewery on the premises. Sam Adams is the best American beer for me but would much prefer imported so it is hard to imagine a $2-3 beer lol That being said, on our next Royal cruise I will definitely get a drink package:)

March on Oasis--2 amaretto sours---over $25 with gratuity.

2 weeks ago on Disney Wonder (an amazing cruise!)--paid the following including gratuity: 2 glasses of wine $13.80, 1 long island + 1 rum/diet coke $14.66, 1 beer $6.90. Plus you can bring on hard liquor and they supply the mix (name brand pop) for free.

We've been loyal to Royal for years---but Disney is likely getting more and more of our business in the coming years due to drink prices and their liquor policy.

We're off the DCL Fantasy three weeks ago and I could almost get two drinks for the price of one on RCCL. DCL also allows an almost unlimited supply of alcohol as carry on. You could stuff a carry-on bag full of liquor and they do not care. We walked right on after the first port with bottles of liquor without having to stop at the liquor table to give it up.

Little comparison:

We just returned from our first non RCCL cruise a week ago. We were on MSC Preziosa on western med cruise.

Basicly all the foo-foo cocktails were priced at 6,75 EUR (about 7,7 USD) and they were included in the allegrissimo adults beverage package that was 26 EUR/day (about 29,5 USD)! It also included all the speciality coffes and Italian gelato and milkshakes!

Sounds a bit more reasonable than those new RCCL prices?

The beverage package being only 26 EUR/day means that it was really worth the money unlike the Royal's premium beverage package.

I live in Finland and the alcohol pricing here is ridiculously high because of very high taxes. That 14 USD / drink is actually quite close to the bar prices here in Finland.

Talk about first world problems.....and not for nothing, the majority of the valid complaints here have to do with the fact that the drink prices were raised such a large percent in a relatively short period of time. We were lucky to have had the prices we were paying for as long as we did, all Royal did was get with the times. And what do we expect them to do? They are running a business, a business with a captive audience. A business that sails with full ships week after week. Do you think you are hurting their business by skipping alcoholic drinks? Not likely. Pay or don't pay, it doesn't really effect the bottom line. And the ones who don't pay don't really care if you choose not to imbibe.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I don't pay, pretty simple.

Just for a small comparison, we cruised Oasis of the Seas in February and Disney Fantasy in May. I think out tab for Oasis was less than $200 while the Fantasy tab was $450. Most of our tab is drinks. I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices RCCL wants. We both certainly enjoyed our drinks before dinner but unlike Oasis where we had free drinks in the diamond lounge, we strolled down to the bon voyage bar and happily conversed with Ashley while he made our drinks we paid for. $5.75 per cocktail and remember on Disney you can bring a damn bar setup if you want to. Disney also sails pretty damn full but does not gouge their patrons.

Based on the long list of past cruises posted in your signature, I would think you are at least at Diamond status by now. You get three free drinks per day during happy hour - why should you care how "outrageous" (your word, not mine) the drink prices are? :confused:

If I want a drink outside happy hour I have to pay for it. And it is not three drinks in the lounge but unlimited. What a nice treat! I am a cheap ass so I wait until RCCl turns on the drinking light and get it on!

A most reasonable view. I do exactly the same. But I don't cruise everyday, so if I want a drink I'll get it. What's 10 bucks when you've spend thousands for the cruise? Let's use a little common sense here people.

Common sense does not say spend $14 on something that costs about $1 to make. So let's say your house cost $100,000. Would YOU want to spend $1.4 MILLION dollars to buy it?

HELL NO!! that is common sense.

This topic has been beat to death. I live in Columbus, OH and I can go to a top end steakhouse during happy hour and drink for $5 each. My favorite is the Long Island at Max and Ermas (a middle of the road restaurant) for $3.50. If I drink two of those, I am NOT driving. If you think it's a good deal on the ship, go for it. For us, I can assure you I will not buy any drink on the ship. We cruised in April after the price increase. We drank in the Diamond lounge and our bar bill was $0, where we used to always buy drinks during the day and would finish with a moderate bill. Alcohol is not mandatory in my life. I hope this 40% price increase works well for them.

Perfect. I feel the same way and will drink for free in the lounge while avoiding the (TO ME) outrageously priced drinks.

It is even less a reasonable comparison, as the baseline was an establishment in a non-tourist destination. It's great that they can get a cheap drink in their town but by their own admission, it is just a plain city and in December is certainly not the same as the Caribbean.

Touche'

Care to describe what a "plain" city is?

I actually have this issue with inconspicuous pricing. If I am in a store and have to do any work to find a price other than grab a clearly visible tag, I rarely buy. The way I see it, if someone wants to sell something to me I shouldn't be the one having to do the work.

This is exactly what I was referring too. I might want to try something different and would like to know the price before ordering. Yes I can ask the waiter but many times they have to go ask someone else and this can go on two or three times before ordering. Why can't I have a list of options and prices? At high end restaurants (at least where I live) the will get you a drink menu with brands and prices listed. And yes Mortons (at least down here) publishes prices as well as have a bar menu.

This is exactly what I was referring too. I might want to try something different and would like to know the price before ordering. Yes I can ask the waiter but many times they have to go ask someone else and this can go on two or three times before ordering. Why can't I have a list of options and prices? At high end restaurants (at least where I live) the will get you a drink menu with brands and prices listed. And yes Mortons (at least down here) publishes prices as well as have a bar menu.

Went to Grills last night to watch the ships sail out. And guess what, no drink prices on the menu. Rock shrimp was fabulous though.

1434805469848.jpg.03a5fe4fd79d3229176d403b3b47bfa9.jpg

Disney also sails pretty damn full but does not gouge their patrons.

That's one of the funniest things I've read recently.

I picked a random date in June 2016... 7 night, Eastern Caribbean Sailing, Two Adults:

Disney Fantasy (June 18)

Interior: $4,973

OV: $5,449

Balcony: $5,827

Concierge: $9,481

RCI Freedom Of the Seas (June 19)

Interior: $2,771

OV: $2,795

Balcony: $2,664

Concierge: $3,762

*NOTE: All prices are the lowest priced cabin in each category

If I could afford the prices for Disney, I could afford the drink packages on RCI.

I don't think it's just the current cost of the drinks on RCI that has people upset, but the drink cost INCREASE that recently happened. If you're used to paying $2/gallon for gas, and the next day the price went up to $2.80 (40% increase), you'd be complaining also.

Common sense does not say spend $14 on something that costs about $1 to make. So let's say your house cost $100,000. Would YOU want to spend $1.4 MILLION dollars to buy it?

HELL NO!! that is common sense.

Depends on where the house is located. In La Jolla darn right I would pay 1.4 Million.

Around $10 to $12.

Thank you for just answering the question and not jumping all over my choice in drinks and telling me that I'm stupid because a Tom Collins or margarita is so obviously the better choice.

When did this board get so rude?

I have read this entire thread, I have been struggling all week on whether to buy a drink package or not. After the debacle of the Ultimate+Replenish gaff, I'm not sure if it's worth it or not. There are certainly pros and cons to both sides....

Here's the reason I want to get it....

I like the idea of the ultimate package, because it would allow me to try whatever I wanted, and not worry about the cost. I wouldn't TRY a drink for $14 ea, only to found out I hated it - I'm almost FORCED to drink it.... On the package, try it...if you like it.. drink it, if not.. toss and get something else.....

I enjoy a latte or 2 a day, as I love coffee - it's included - Perfect.

I also enjoy a GG or Ketel one Martini - included - perfect.

Reasons not

#1 is cost - $~455 is nothing to sneeze at....that's quite a bit to swallow.

I hate to pay $14 ea per drink, but am I really going to drink 5-6 a day, everyday?? I say $14 because of what I drink. I realize beers are $7, and wine is $8 or more, but I'm not a wine drinker...I almost feel compelled to drink more than I normally would, just to break even...

Oh the trials and tribulations of a drink package :-)

Care to describe what a "plain" city is?

I cannot, but the poster to which I was describing indicates that their location is "Plain City, OH" (though their comments indicate it is really Columbus). So like I said "by their own admission, it is just a plain city". We all get to decide what that means (but it is still not a cruise ship in a tourist-centric destination).