Drink Prices Not That Bad

2.50 - 3.25 most everywhere around here :) many places will run a 1.50 "longneck" special for several hours a day. Mixed drinks in the 6.00 - 7.00 range. A little more for "top shelf".

Now you see why I think the prices are outrageous now on the ships. I guess Im a little spoiled when it comes to drink prices when going out as compared others. Couple that with the fact that a Lava Flow was only 8.00 + 15% up until March when they went to 12.00 + 18% :eek: Even though I knew this going in, it was still a shock for sure!

I just pulled up the menu from the place we went for Mother's Day, not a fancy place, bottle Bud was $4, Sam on tap was $5.50 and $7.50. House margarita was $6.99 and over the top shelf margarita as they call it was $8.99. Online menu doesn't show basic cocktails so not sure about a gin and tonic.

Same chain also has restaurants in Virgina, one less than an hour from where cb says she is from and the prices for some of the drinks I just posted are actually higher in Virginia.

Moral of the story, we are all coming to Georgia, Ryan, and you are buying!:eek::D:p

I think $5.50 for a beer is outrageous! I mean, that's the price of a 6-pack. I know about mark-ups, but this is way overpriced. I think $5.50 for a mixed drink is high, but better than $7.00!

You all must live in expensive cities, if you think those are fair prices!

Dive Mexican near my house on Atlanta. Beer is $5 and up. Generic margarita $6 and it is very small and mostly ice

2.50 - 3.25 most everywhere around here :) many places will run a 1.50 "longneck" special for several hours a day. Mixed drinks in the 6.00 - 7.00 range. A little more for "top shelf".

You have got to be joking, you cant get a glass of regular ice tea at a chain restaurant for less than $2.50. At least thats here in Socal.

March on Oasis--2 amaretto sours---over $25 with gratuity.

2 weeks ago on Disney Wonder (an amazing cruise!)--paid the following including gratuity: 2 glasses of wine $13.80, 1 long island + 1 rum/diet coke $14.66, 1 beer $6.90. Plus you can bring on hard liquor and they supply the mix (name brand pop) for free.

We've been loyal to Royal for years---but Disney is likely getting more and more of our business in the coming years due to drink prices and their liquor policy.

Edited by louv2000

Every time I price Disney they are hundreds if not Almost a thousand dollars more. I can't drink that much

Seriously I looked at the same basic cruise that I take next week on Disney and RCCL. It was $1000 more. The mouse was greedy

Edited by Carolla5501

Those of you saying that's what a restaurant in a big city costs fails to realize you don't usually go there seven or more nights in a row.It's maybe once a week to once a month type thing. On the ship you're kind of held captive for the week or more. I'm just glad I can only handle one or two martini's every couple of nights! Happy cruising...

Standard cocktail prices in Dublin (where I live) are around €10-€15 ($11-$17). These are normal pubs, not necessarily restaurants. A mixed drink (spirit and mixer) would normally be around €6-€7 ($7-$8). I don't drink beer, but I think a pint is about €5-€6 ($5.50-$7).

While I don't go out every night at home, I also don't need to drink alcohol every day on a ship either.

Now you see why I think the prices are outrageous now on the ships. I guess Im a little spoiled when it comes to drink prices when going out as compared others. Couple that with the fact that a Lava Flow was only 8.00 + 15% up until March when they went to 12.00 + 18% :eek: Even though I knew this going in, it was still a shock for sure!

It's the same around here. I don't care where I am, I'm not paying 14 dollars for a drink that only has a dollar or two of liquor in it. So if that's the price, I'm out, I'll have a soda instead.

Yup! I live in a major city in Canada - alcohol prices here are high. Guess it all depends what you are used to!

I totally agree. We are near a major city and don't find those prices that high at all. It really does depend on where you live and what you are used to and consider normal.

Yup! I live in a major city in Canada - alcohol prices here are high. Guess it all depends what you are used to!

I totally agree. We are near a major city and don't find those prices that high at all. It really does depend on where you live and what you are used to and consider normal.

I will add too that I don't find the pricing all that absurd on-board. A glass (decent) wine 7 or 9 bucks --here in Ottawa - bar wine ($7 to $15 a glass), a bar rail Martini ($12), draft ($11), bottle ($6.50) - all before our taxes kick in.

I just sailed on the Jewel - and there was no way a LavaFlow was $14! (maybe with tip and the taxes included) -- I had one of the drink packages and had 4 LavaFlows and didn't pay extra for any of them. Didn't pay extra for any drinks other than Moet (my choice) which was $2.00.

Edited by jaspercat

You are all failing to look at the mark up. What the cruise line pays for

duty free liquor is way less than what a bar has to pay by going through

the distributors they have to. A lot of you people are going way out of your way to justify the new pricing of alcohol drinks on a cruise. I don't have a clue why any of you do that.

I wish there was someone here that was in the liquor distribution business that would explain what restaurants, sporting venues and bars pay for alcohol and contrast that to what cruise lines pay. Not to mention a bar or restaurants over head (lease cost, real-estate cost, taxes, unions, employment payroll laws).

You are all failing to look at the mark up. What the cruise line pays for

duty free liquor is way less than what a bar has to pay by going through

the distributors they have to. A lot of you people are going way out of your way to justify the new pricing of alcohol drinks on a cruise. I don't have a clue why any of you do that.

I wish there was someone here that was in the liquor distribution business that would explain what restaurants, sporting venues and bars pay for alcohol and contrast that to what cruise lines pay. Not to mention a bar or restaurants over head (lease cost, real-estate cost, taxes, unions, employment payroll laws).

Sorry, I'm not. There is a mark-up no matter where you are; cruise ship, hotel restaurant/bar, club, bar/pub, restaurant, greasy-spoon, etc. You can't compare day-to-day spending to buying duty free liquor. A bottle of wine in a restaurant can be anywhere from 30% to 50% over what it would cost to buy it in our liquor store. Knowing what some of the wines cost me at home, and what they might cost in the US I don't find their mark-up out-of-whack.

Sorry, I'm not. There is a mark-up no matter where you are; cruise ship, hotel restaurant/bar, club, bar/pub, restaurant, greasy-spoon, etc. You can't compare day-to-day spending to buying duty free liquor. A bottle of wine in a restaurant can be anywhere from 30% to 50% over what it would cost to buy it in our liquor store. Knowing what some of the wines cost me at home, and what they might cost in the US I don't find their mark-up out-of-whack.

I agree.

There's a particular white Zinfandel that I can buy from my local liquor store for $11 and when I order a 6 oz glass in a restaurant, it's usually $7.

My last cruise was last March and I maybe had 4 frozen drinks over the 9 days. It's looking like I'll be using my entire onboard credit for booze and will definitely be bringing on my two bottles of wine.

I don't like paying $8-$10 for a beer at sporting events, nor do I like spending $10-$12 for a mixed drink at dinner. However, I am only having 1 or 2 during my short time at these location.

When I am on a cruise I am on vacation and don't have to drive. We tend to consume a lot more alcohol than we normally would. I think the prices are ridiculous when you consider you are drinking several a day for 7 nights. The increase in individual drink prices have forced us to buy the packages.

Is that what they want? Maybe, maybe not. We order another beer if they get slightly warm or if the foo foo drink was not to our liking we toss it out and order something different. We have tried many new drinks as a result of having the package. Some we liked and even if we didn't, it too got tossed out and we tried something else.

Canadians! how can you NOT be complaining!? we're paying another 26% on top of these prices!

Buy a drink package early when there's a bit of OK exchange:). Book in Canadian and keep my on-board expenditures down.:D

Standard cocktail prices in Dublin (where I live) are around €10-€15 ($11-$17). These are normal pubs, not necessarily restaurants. A mixed drink (spirit and mixer) would normally be around €6-€7 ($7-$8). I don't drink beer, but I think a pint is about €5-€6 ($5.50-$7).

While I don't go out every night at home, I also don't need to drink alcohol every day on a ship either.

And dont even think of going to Temple Bar. :)

2 weeks ago on Disney Wonder (an amazing cruise!)--paid the following including gratuity: 2 glasses of wine $13.80, 1 long island + 1 rum/diet coke $14.66, 1 beer $6.90. Plus you can bring on hard liquor and they supply the mix (name brand pop) for free.

We've been loyal to Royal for years---but Disney is likely getting more and more of our business in the coming years due to drink prices and their liquor policy.

Sure Disney's liquor prices are reasonable. They charge a whole lot more to get in the door. Not an apples to apples comparison, sorry.