Early flight out post-cruise?

Janie1229

I know we are cutting it close, we have a 10:45a flight out of FLL post-cruise. Royal Princess is due back 7:00a. We've typically been off the ship by 8:00a at the latest, anyone else book early flights?

I made the reservations last night, now I'm a bit concerned! We are, however, doing carry-ons and no checked bags so will self-disembark. We arrive back at FLL on a Wed morning, so not as much congestion as a weekend. Thoughts?

Edited by Janie1229

Would love to have left earlier, but I checked and had 24hrs to make fight changes so I did change to a 12:45p flight out of FLL. Decided it wasn't worth worrying about during the cruise. Of course, Murphy's Law dictates that now we will certainly be off the ship by 7:30a. ha. :D

Good choice to change to a later flight even though the airport is close to the port! The ship may be due to get into port at 7 am but that doesn't mean it will. Once our ship was 3 hours late getting into port- engine problems. You never know.

Glad you decided to change to a later flight.

All too often we have arrived back in Ft Lauderdale late -- anything can happen.

And remember that even though it may say that the ship arrives back in Ft Lauderdale at 7, you still have to wait for it to be cleared by the local authorities.

When we did Crown Princess out of Port Everglades we for sure could have made a 10:45 flight. We had so much time to kill. We did self assist with our luggage off of the ship and we were though customs and in a taxi in a matter of minutes.

We actually beat many of the cruisers to the airport and I think that helped majorly with lines.

But, I don't know that I would have the guts to actually book a flight that early. I think I would be a stressed hot mess leaving the ship that day.

The immigration and customs lines at Pt. Everglades can be long at FLL, and debarking can be delayed as a result. I think you were smart to change your flights.

Roz

Thanks everyone, appreciate the feedback. The last cruise we took on Princess out of FLL, we were back at port, self-disembarked, at airport waiting by 8:30a :D

But like others have said, things can happen, and the flight I switched to is still fairly early, 12:45p, and we get back to Columbus at 5:45p. Not bad. Hopefully enough time to pick up our beloved dog at boarding by 7p :)

I know we are cutting it close, we have a 10:45a flight out of FLL post-cruise. Royal Princess is due back 7:00a. We've typically been off the ship by 8:00a at the latest, anyone else book early flights?

I made the reservations last night, now I'm a bit concerned! We are, however, doing carry-ons and no checked bags so will self-disembark. We arrive back at FLL on a Wed morning, so not as much congestion as a weekend. Thoughts?

Not as much congestion? Wednesdays are generally busy days for air traveling business people.

In addition, you are cutting it close even with the improbability of perfect circumstances. If you're doing this to save a few bucks, it's "pennywise and pound foolish."

I would book that flight...you are only about 10-15 mins from the airport. Tell them (about midway thru the cruise) that you have an early flight, and you'll be in one of the first groups off the ship.

IMO, there is little that is worse than waiting and waiting and waiting......

Edited by cb at sea

I would book that flight...you are only about 10-15 mins from the airport. Tell them (about midway thru the cruise) that you have an early flight, and you'll be in one of the first groups off the ship.

IMO, there is little that is worse than waiting and waiting and waiting......

Cb-at-sea, I agree, I hate waiting for the flight home! When our cruise or trip is done, I just want to be home. However, I did change to a slighter later flight just to give us a little more wiggle room. It still leaves fairly early at 12:45p.

We do these cruises with carry-on only - so we don't have to wait. As soon as the ship docks and doors open, we get off.

Not as much congestion? Wednesdays are generally busy days for air traveling business people.

In addition, you are cutting it close even with the improbability of perfect circumstances. If you're doing this to save a few bucks, it's "pennywise and pound foolish."

Did you not read post #2 where the OP said she changed to a 12:45pm flight?

The OP did change their flight.

As to the recommendation to tell them you have to be off the ship sorry but that doesn't help if the ship doesn't arrive to port on time, or if getting the ship cleared is delayed or you are stopped by customs or there is a slowdown by the porters offloading the luggage off the ship. And I don't care if you never had this problem, it happens.

Keith

Did you not read post #2 where the OP said she changed to a 12:45pm flight?

Thanks NMLady! I don't know why some people enjoy writing snotty responses, or don't realize how they sound. Not sure which is worse.

In any event, I was only asking for feedback, especially from those who have cruised more often than I have - at least for now :-) In my opinion there is constructive feedback, and just being plain snotty.

Janie1229, I am certain you could have made the earlier flight barring some really extraordinary circumstance - we did this in May and were at the gate by 8:30am for our 10:30am flight. However, with the later flight, you can be certain that even if something crazy happens on disembarkation day, you will make your flight. Have a wonderful cruise!

Janie1229, I am certain you could have made the earlier flight barring some really extraordinary circumstance - we did this in May and were at the gate by 8:30am for our 10:30am flight. However, with the later flight, you can be certain that even if something crazy happens on disembarkation day, you will make your flight. Have a wonderful cruise!

SuiteTraveler, I bet you are correct! Twice we have cruised out of FLL and both times we were at the gate by 8:30-8:45. However, I do hear of things happening where the ship is delayed coming into port, etc. so I guess best not to chance it unless we really had to, and we don't have to.

The problem with the word certain is you just can't be certain.

You know many people fly in the day of the cruise and have never had a problem but one day it will catch up with them.

I have arrived back to the USA and everything has worked out well on a cruise. However I have arrived back to Fort Lauderdale, Miami, NYC and Los Angles other times when something went wrong.

Nothing is certain and this one to me is not close. Things happen.

Keith

The problem with the word certain is you just can't be certain.

You know many people fly in the day of the cruise and have never had a problem but one day it will catch up with them.

I have arrived back to the USA and everything has worked out well on a cruise. However I have arrived back to Fort Lauderdale, Miami, NYC and Los Angles other times when something went wrong.

Nothing is certain and this one to me is not close. Things happen.

Keith

Hi Keith, I agree, most likely, that original flight I booked of 10:45 would have been fine, but not worth worrying about it. The slightly later flight of 12:45p will be good, and gives us a little more breathing room.

Janie1229, I think you were very wise.

It's funny. Often with people who have early flights I see them stressing out a few days before the cruise is over and often having to rush off the ship. It's nice not to stress and to take you time leaving the ship and getting to the airport.

Most importantly, wishing you a wonderful cruise. In the end, that's what counts.

Enjoy!

Keith

• 2 weeks later...

Our next cruise ends in Galveston TX and we need to get to the airport on the north side of Houston. DCL recommended 4 hours to get to the airport and check in etc. I went with that and there are later flights if something goes wrong.

Our next cruise ends in Galveston TX and we need to get to the airport on the north side of Houston. DCL recommended 4 hours to get to the airport and check in etc. I went with that and there are later flights if something goes wrong.

Good luck. I did a cruise earlier this year r/t Houston. Our cruise line also had the recommendation of a minimum of 4-hrs between arrival and earliest flights. Our flight home had another 2-hrs beyond that. Due to weather we were delayed in docking. By the time we got to IAH we missed the airline's window for checking our suitcases. There were later flights. They were full. We made it home 27-hrs after our original arrival time. Next time we cruise from Houston we will plan on an overnight after the cruise.

I think it was a good move to change to the later flight. If you are like me you want that wonderful canine family member home with you that night. Is it possible to have a relative or friend pick the dog up and take to your home?

At least you will have more time for breakfast on the ship. And more time to find food to take on the plane.