Ports you don't need to go to again?

Jay Sam

With the vast majority of cruisers stating Nassau, one has to wonder why the cruise lines don't try to find another port to substitute.....

The stupid PVSA, of course. All foreign-flagged ships must leave the U.S. during their cruises. Nassau is the closest foreign cruise port to Florida's 6 ports, so it's naturally the easiest one to use for law compliance. (Actually Cuba is, but we all know why until this year no ships went there from the U.S.)

That said, Carnival was granted an exception when Hurricane Sandy forced that port to close on embarkation day and the only place my ship could sail was Key West. Because I missed a port that I was supposed to visit, I have wanted to go to Nassau ever since just to make up for the cancellation.

I don't think this thread must be limited to Caribbean ports. There are places in all parts of the world where people say, "Glad I went, but once is enough," or "I hated it."

I think Astoria, Oregon is one of them. I liked it, but have no reason to visit the Flavel House, movie theater, or maritime museum again.

I've always tried to find something new in Nassau and Freeport...I'd go again..and I adore Grand Cayman..it's my favorite...I feel like as long as I do something new in each port each time then I'm good..it's about the discovery...Grand Cayman is the favorite port for us ..

Nice...a better thread may be "What are some nice things to do at the "common" ports?

U.S. West Coasters are sick of Ensenada, but it can't be avoided. We end up going twice in a 4/3 B2B. One time we'll get off the ship, eat our weight in tacos and go to the grocery store (candy!), the other we just enjoy the empty ship.

The Bufadora is a good excursion, once. We did a jeep tour once. It's not a bad place, it's just that every west coast cruise HAS to go there.

Edited by JillySue

I don't think this thread must be limited to Caribbean ports. There are places in all parts of the world where people say, "Glad I went, but once is enough," or "I hated it."

I think Astoria, Oregon is one of them. I liked it, but have no reason to visit the Flavel House, movie theater, or maritime museum again.

Agreed! I mentioned Athens, Greece in my previous port. Let me also add Saint John's New Brunswick.

Caribbean ports I will not go out of my way to again visit:

Martinique

St. Vincent

Ocho Rios

Montego Bay

Caracas

Guadeloupe

I'm happy we saw and experienced it but I wouldn't want to return to Casbah in Tangiers. :eek:

Edited by sail7seas

I did Bahamas 14 years ago but vaguely remember it. We're heading there again in a month. I'm sure it will be on my list afterwards.

Adding:

Ochos rios

Labadee

St Lucia

Will be heading to grand Turk for the second time, may add that after as well. Many of the islands are a once or twice and I'm done and ready for the next

I'll always love San Juan, st marten and st. Thomas!

Had to sort of laugh: "On a cruise again ... Going to ports I've already been ... Don't want to never see again... Yes, I'm on a cruise again." :D

Some ports are better than others. Happily, most are great! :)

LuLu

Cozumel (where every decent beach costs money, as far as I could tell)

Costa Maya (which exists only because Carnival said "Let's put a pier here")

Nassau (just because)

Regarding Roatan: To each his own, but my guess is if someone didn't like it, they either had foul weather or didn't explore the island. It was one of the few ports we've visited where I'd like to vacation for a week. The place was full of enchanting people and places.

Jim