Some actual drink prices on Royal

These are the actual prices (including mandatory service charge) I paid on Navigator of the Seas last week:

Sex on the Beach $12.63

"Drink of the Day" $10.56

Moscow Mule $14.16

The prices were significantly higher than what I have paid in the past. I usually have about 3 drinks a day on a cruise and I only had 5 drinks during my entire 7 day cruise this time! I don't drink enough to make the drink package worth it and these sky-high prices put a damper on ordering a drink by the pool.

These are the actual prices (including mandatory service charge) I paid on Navigator of the Seas last week:

Sex on the Beach $12.63

Moscow Mule $14.16

The prices were significantly higher than what I have paid in the past. I usually have about 3 drinks a day on a cruise and I only had 5 drinks during my entire 7 day cruise this time! I don't drink enough to make the drink package worth it and these sky-high prices put a damper on ordering a drink by the pool.

If it puts a damper on enough people, it will cut revenue eventually. I'm sure the servers and bartenders aren't enjoying it since it's going to have a negative impact on overall gratuities.

it will cut revenue eventually. .

I truly hope it does. Everyone here can make excuses all they want to but it all comes down to greed IMO and hoping to force everyone into their overpriced drink packages. Couple that with the terrible to just mediocre service I witnessed as far as bar service goes and once again, its a case of paying more and receiving less. Seems to be RC's new motto lately.

I suppose the question to me will be "well why are you going on another RC cruise then?"

Because Ive wanted to try an Oasis class ship since the day they plans were laid out. I will likely be shopping around after this one though. :)

Edited by ryano

One more comment I will make is that I usually tip an extra $1 if the service was good. I didn't even think about doing that this time because of the high service fee and I just hope it really does go to the server.

Overall, it did seem like the bar waiters were less friendly this time around. Service at the pool was particularly slow.

We've gone on 2 cruises with NCL where their promotion offered unlimited drinks (WITHOUT raising the price of the cruise) so we will probably continue to watch for those deals.

We don't drink enough to justify a package, and have always expected to pay more on the ship than at our local bar...never had a quarrel with that concept. That said, there is little doubt that Royal is raising prices in a deliberate attempt to make the packages more attractive and that doesn't sit well with me. There is a fine line between maximizing profit and taking advantage of the customer, and we feel that line is being crossed. On our last cruise, we simply ordered fewer adult beverages and made a point of addressing it in the post-cruise survey. The added benefit was a smaller bill when we went home. :)

I totally agree. It's getting out of hand. I prefer very port-intensive itineraries. I'm also not a huge drinker. There is no way the package is worthwhile for me. But these prices are outrageous. I will definitely be cutting back. I hope RCL starts to feel the pinch and returns to more reasonable prices. As others have said, I don't mind paying more on the ship than I might in a local pub, but not twice as much. That's where some of these prices are beginning to approach.

The worry is that as drink revenue lessens, they will increase the drink prices even more and up the package prices as well and so on. 'Hey our cocktails cost $25 but our drinks package only costs $120 per day which is a bargain' - not.

We wont pay those prices especially if there is nothing special about the preparation or presentation of the drink. Often its just rapidly sloshed into a glass (plastic one on deck).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Those are getting pretty high..and for us Canadians add on about 25% exchange, so $13-$18 per drink......yuck!

I started cruising under 3 years ago when the FINALLY came out with drink packages(prior to that I did AI'S in Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica etc) but it could be the drink packages that actually stop me from further cruising with Royal Caribbean.

Ironic......

I will likely be shopping around after this one though. :)

Have you gone to some of the forums for other cruise lines and asked about their drink prices? Pretty much all of them are complaining about pricing, drink packages, increased gratuities, lack of service, etc.

We are drinkers. That's all there is to it. Prior to the recent increases we would never had even considered the package but we're going to try out the package on Anthem and then consider our options for our Allure voyage. Looking over our past cruise bills and substituting in the new prices, it looks like we are probably right on the line of it being "worth it." Since our Anthem cruise is 7 days with only 3 ports (one of them being CocoaCay) we have the best chance of getting our money's worth. We shall see.

I did buy the "Share a Coke" Ultimate plan, despite the fact I'm not a big drinker. Actually after re-reading my reasons below, I may have a problem that I'm not ready to admit yet..... let's see!

5 Reasons I bought it-

1. I like the idea of not having to worry about how much I'm spending.

2. I figure I'll try out some new stuff I wouldn't necessarily pay $14 bucks for and be upset I didn't like it.... If I don't like it, move onto something different. (Any suggestions??)

3. Not a beer drinker - Would need to drink in excess to really get $$ worth.

4. I like Vodka, and yes, the occasional FooFoo drink, despite the fact they are LOADED with Sugar! They all look to be $12 or $14, so don't need to drink a ton to get to even $.

5. I love coffee - 2 specialty coffees a day at least - Need something to wake me up!

Yes I know I've already paid $450 for it, but since the cruise has only 3 ports and 1 of them is Port Canaveral, there's no need to get off there, I'll (most likely) get my money's worth. One of the stops is Coco Cay, so that's a bonus!

When I return, I'll report back what I spent vs. the upfront costs.

I leave this Friday! Can't wait!!!

Edited by cdel71

The worry is that as drink revenue lessens, they will increase the drink prices even more and up the package prices as well and so on. 'Hey our cocktails cost $25 but our drinks package only costs $120 per day which is a bargain' - not.

We wont pay those prices especially if there is nothing special about the preparation or presentation of the drink. Often its just rapidly sloshed into a glass (plastic one on deck).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Already past the point of "no way" for us and we enjoy a drink.

Have you gone to some of the forums for other cruise lines and asked about their drink prices? Pretty much all of them are complaining about pricing, drink packages, increased gratuities, lack of service, etc.

Actually other lines are still less and Carnival, Princess, and HAL offer more daily and happy hour specials.

We already decided for our December cruise we will only buy drinks in ports. There are 6 adults .. So we can take 6 bottles of wine on .. So screw RCI and their prices.

It's 2 bottles *per stateroom*, not 1 bottle per adult. So just in case you don't actually have 3 staterooms, you might not get 6 bottles allowance.

One more comment I will make is that I usually tip an extra $1 if the service was good. I didn't even think about doing that this time because of the high service fee and I just hope it really does go to the server.

This is probably the most disappointing aspect, buying package or not, giving server more money on top of higher prices and higher gratuity doesn't seem to get you much. Check out this recent review, you just want "friendly" and adequately staffed........... nothing fancy..........

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=506492

"Pool drink service (or lack thereof). It used to be that waiters would walk around on the pool deck on sea days asking you to buy drinks. I saw a few waiters doing this but overall it was a total joke. I personally think that pre-paid tipping and the alcohol packages have made this type of service a thing of the past....at least at Royal Caribbean. With pre-paid tips, the drink people get paid regardless so there is no need to get out and sell drinks! It is a shame that management doesn't make this a priority. For me its about being on vacation! Having a drink service makes me feel relaxed and special. I always enjoy talking to them and I generally tip on top of pre-paid tips. Guess they missed out...and I got some much needed exercise getting my own drinks!"

I did buy the "Share a Coke" Ultimate plan, despite the fact I'm not a big drinker. Actually after re-reading my reasons below, I may have a problem that I'm not ready to admit yet..... let's see!

5 Reasons I bought it-

1. I like the idea of not having to worry about how much I'm spending.

2. I figure I'll try out some new stuff I wouldn't necessarily pay $14 bucks for and be upset I didn't like it.... If I don't like it, move onto something different. (Any suggestions??)

3. Not a beer drinker - Would need to drink in excess to really get $$ worth.

4. I like Vodka, and yes, the occasional FooFoo drink, despite the fact they are LOADED with Sugar! They all look to be $12 or $14, so don't need to drink a ton to get to even $.

5. I love coffee - 2 specialty coffees a day at least - Need something to wake me up!

Yes I know I've already paid $450 for it, but since the cruise has only 3 ports and 1 of them is Port Canaveral, there's no need to get off there, I'll (most likely) get my money's worth. One of the stops is Coco Cay, so that's a bonus!

When I return, I'll report back what I spent vs. the upfront costs.

I leave this Friday! Can't wait!!!

Several good points there. I'm right there with you on 1-3. I like rum drinks and/or margaritas at various times out by the pool, and in the evenings, I won't have to decide between bourbon or scotch, hehe :) I'm use to having about 2 fingers of scotch or bourbon after dinner when spending the final hour of the evening with the wife each night at home. Hopefully I won't overdo it on the cruise. Wife doesn't drink at all, so that should help keep me from blowing up the ol' liver. I only drink the foo foo drinks while on vacation, so its always a treat.

That said I really dislike what RCCL has done, and while I could vote with my wallet and not have any drinks, I'm not out to sabotage a small part of what I enjoy just to make a point that they may or may not even notice anyway. I'll just pick a different cruise line next time, that's all.

Here are some current drink menu prices for Royal compared to Princess. Beers are just slightly higher, but other drinks substantially higher. Royal also has a higher service fee.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46877851&postcount=75

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45703675&postcount=1

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=45703705&postcount=2

Sex on the Beach $12.63

Moscow Mule $14.16

Any info on these drinks?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=46874032#post46874032