Plans that affect Princess by CCL Corp

caribill

United will be giving me reasonably priced Wi-Fi on a transatlantic airplane tonight. That seems rather harder than a cruise ship.

Let us know how that works for you - last time I flew United the Wi-Fi that was promised did not work.

...Young people are choosing the latest smartphones and top tier data services over new or better vehicles. Heck, they expect in car wi fi!

Now that's many accidents waiting to happen. Not long ago, I saw a guy on the freeway with a tablet in one hand, and a smartphone in the other. He appeared to be steering with his elbows :eek:.

You can read this list of ships being constructed through the end of the decade & most of them have over 4,000 passengers. That makes the Royal-class ships less than many other new builds. The only ships under 1,000 passengers are luxury cruise lines Seabourn & Regent plus the new Viking ocean ships. Holland America has a pair of 2,650 passenger ships & Celebrity a pair of 2,900 passenger ships.

http://usat.ly/12oqLRa

My pockets are not deep enough to sail the more exclusive smaller ships that are being built & most of us cannot afford to sail on those luxury cruise lines. My future options are to either sail on more affordable efficient mass market ships or not sailing at all. No matter what any of us feel about this trend things are not going to change.

Cruise lines are seeking new generations of passengers & many of them desire a high tech active floating hotel experience & they don't really care that much about us old timers. ;)

Frank;

Your comments are always spot on.....:):):)

Bob

Let us know how that works for you - last time I flew United the Wi-Fi that was promised did not work.

Took a sleeping pill that only half worked. Didn't buy it. It's worked fine on domestic flights though, in my experience.

Having Internet is important to me which is why I'm on my iPhone (t-Mobile's international plan) right now as we dock in Oslo. I have books with me, but I'm also an administrator on Wikipedia where discussions tend to move quickly and if you're not there things could happen without you.

Thanks OP for posting the info. It certainly explains the spike in the shares in the last week. I am hoping to profit two ways, one with the shares going up and the other with more Princess ships coming to Australia, there is more variety in both ships and itineraries which means some great cruises at reasonable prices.:D

Now that's many accidents waiting to happen. Not long ago, I saw a guy on the freeway with a tablet in one hand, and a smartphone in the other. He appeared to be steering with his elbows :eek:.

I just hope he wasn't nestling a drink between his legs and a burger on his lap.:eek:

I have a colleague like that. Additionally, he smokes with his 'other'

hand.

He went on a cruise with a lot of his family members, and loved it.

I think he was so busy having fun with his family that he didn't realize he was

disconnected.

Edited by pablo222

stop the complaining and look at reality, prices of everything WILL GO UP!

but when I look at my cruising notebook I see that we are sailing in a balcony room on the Regal in Feb, 2016 for the lowest price we have paid for a balcony since we began cruising in 2002. Plus we are getting over $300 in OBC and gifts from TA, that we did not know how to get back in 2002.

I am happy, I will stop cruising when I am not!

Enjoy what you can, avoid what you don't!!!!

Edited by bulldog on water

LOL! One of my kids teaches for an online university and must be connected. Since vacation time is scarce in a year round school, the opportunities for cruising are limited. I have been donating my and DH's free minutes to the cause, but a cheaper package and faster speeds would be welcome. I think I'd be willing to pay for it in terms of a somewhat higher fare.

Its hard for some to imagine that there are different priorities in other peoples lives. :cool:

stop the complaining and look at reality, prices of everything WILL GO UP!

but when I look at my cruising notebook I see that we are sailing in a balcony room on the Regal in Feb, 2016 for the lowest price we have paid for a balcony since we began cruising in 2002. Plus we are getting over $300 in OBC and gifts from TA, that we did not know how to get back in 2002.

I am happy, I will stop cruising when I am not!

Enjoy what you can, avoid what you don't!!!!

What has changed in recent years is the cruiselines adopting yield management faring similar to the way the airlines do it. So for some cruises, you may pay more than you did in the past, and less for others. There were early booking savings and some other promotions in the past, but nothing like it is now, with fares sometimes changing from day to day.

I am paying more for an inside this year than I did for a balcony last year for a cruise with the same itinerary during the same time of year on Princess. If I wanted a balcony, I would be paying about twice what I paid last year. Did inflation go up 100% this past year? No, but Princess cut the number of times it is offering that itinerary (CA coastal), to keep fares higher.

United will be giving me reasonably priced Wi-Fi on a transatlantic airplane tonight. That seems rather harder than a cruise ship.

How many people on your flight will be surfing the net? How many on a cruise ship? It's a matter of bandwidth and through put.