Tipping ettiquete on board a ship

qek585

With Norwegian's mandatory $13 a day/ pp charge in place, which was meant to cover tips for all the shipworkers, does that mean we are not expected to give any tips out at all? In theory I understand it, but I still get the feeling I'll get looked at funny by the waiters if leave their restaurants without another tip. My last cruise was back in 2010, and I still remember they gave you a bill with every drink you bought that had a space to write in tips. Since I don't think this policy is new, and since I wasn't aware of it back then, did I double-tip? I think it's 18% auto-gratuity now on drinks, right?

With Norwegian's mandatory $13 a day/ pp charge in place, which was meant to cover tips for all the shipworkers, does that mean we are not expected to give any tips out at all? In theory I understand it, but I still get the feeling I'll get looked at funny by the waiters if leave their restaurants without another tip. My last cruise was back in 2010, and I still remember they gave you a bill with every drink you bought that had a space to write in tips. Since I don't think this policy is new, and since I wasn't aware of it back then, did I double-tip? I think it's 18% auto-gratuity now on drinks, right?

That is how it is meant some choose to tip extra others choose not too.

Now let the fighting begin.

No need to tip at all beyond the DSC and the auto-tips on bar tabs and specialty restaurants...unless you feel it is deserving.

And yes, back in 2010, it sounds like you double-tipped because bar tabs on NCL have always included an auto-tip (15% back then). The blank line for adding a tip was for an extra tip beyond the auto-tip.

With Norwegian's mandatory $13 a day/ pp charge in place, which was meant to cover tips for all the shipworkers, does that mean we are not expected to give any tips out at all? In theory I understand it, but I still get the feeling I'll get looked at funny by the waiters if leave their restaurants without another tip.

It's all quite well explained on NCL's website (nothing except the numbers (service charge in dollars and auto-gratuity percentages) and the fact that speciality restaurants now have auto-gratuities too have changed since your last cruise in 2010):

http://www.ncl.com/faq#service-charge

http://www.ncl.com/faq#tipping

you are right, the only additional tipping would be rare and up to you. We do, usually give an extra tip to our cabin steward at the end of the cruise if he/she has done an exceptional job and usually they do. we also tip in specialty dining rooms if, for some reason we have gotten a free dinner like being platinum or something. Then we add an additional $5 or $10 directly to the wait person. There are a few other times one might want to tip, but generally the DSC covers tips.

We usually tip our cabin steward extra. There are always one or two bartenders that are exceptional, we will give those some extra. ALso, we tip for room service. I always bring extra 1's and 5's.

You are not EXPECTED to give out any additional tips!

Do not let anywhere here tell you otherwise.

There has always been an auto-gratuity on drinks (which was clearly identified on the slips you signed), which was recently increased from 15% to 18%, so in essence you did double-tip.

If you don't feel inclined to tip more, the DSC is sufficient and you are not expected to tip more.

There is the $13 per day service charge, and certain items have an 18% gratuity added. If you leave those items alone there is no need to provide any extra gratuity to anyone. You are welcome to do so at your discretion, but no one will look at you funny if you don't give any extra.

We usually tip our cabin steward extra. There are always one or two bartenders that are exceptional, we will give those some extra. ALso, we tip for room service. I always bring extra 1's and 5's.

But this is a personal choice that is neither required nor expected, and really has nothing to do with the question that the OP asked.

you are right, the only additional tipping would be rare and up to you. We do, usually give an extra tip to our cabin steward at the end of the cruise if he/she has done an exceptional job and usually they do. we also tip in specialty dining rooms if, for some reason we have gotten a free dinner like being platinum or something. Then we add an additional $5 or $10 directly to the wait person. There are a few other times one might want to tip, but generally the DSC covers tips.

All of this extra is a personal choice that is neither required nor expected.

If you want to request songs in the piano bar, a tip with your request will move your song ahead of those that don't... Not mandatory, but just requesting a song doesn't guarantee it will be played... [emoji4]

You will be perfectly fine. You will get smiles from the friendly crew.

Anything extra is up to you... not expected. Unless you use special services, such as spa or kids club, or if you are in a suite and utilize the butler and concierge.

Now, I am always prepared to tip my blackjack dealer out of my winnings. :)

Ditto all the way.

i still think kids in the same room should be 1/2 price

$50 bucks per day per family is kind of steep.

good thing i got a great deal with kids go free and the UBP:cool:

Kids sleep, shower, use towels, eat, etc. don't they?

Lets not forget the dirty diapers that are left in the garbage bins in the room.

Kids make a bigger mess than adults.

I think they should have to pay double.

It's only the 0-2 year olds in diapers though. 3-17 aren't an issue, and the largest group is 6-12.

Kids do increase the odds of the steward needing to convert the sofa to a bed and back every day. But I don't see how they create more clutter. You're not bringing their toybox along.

Not to cause an uproar on tipping protocol but this is the first time i have incurred this situation...im not cruising until jan 2016 but i booked when the free promo ubp included tips of 15 percent. Since the gratuity is now 18 percent will i get billed the difference or am i expected to tip extra?

If you pay the daily grats. that are added to your account, you're done. If someone goes "above and beyond" (whatever that means to you!), you'll know it...and feel the need to give them a bit extra. It's certainly not required.