Bringing fans

If I bring a small battery operated fan.. Does it need to be in my carry on or can it go in my other luggage. I'm getting married the day we sail and my hands/ bags will be full of wedding stuff.. I'd prefer to save room in my bag and not have to carry on the fan.

I dont want my luggage held up because they think they "see" something in it, I bring a small battery operated fan. on with me. But I also get FTTF. :) 2 C cells last 48 hours, and I only use it at night for sleeping, or during my one movie that i watch on the cruise.-so thats 4 batteries and I am dont have to carry any more batteries.

I really dont spend much time in the cabin, so that's why I allow myself one movie.

Technically plug in fans are banned unless they can check the wiring.

Congrats on the wedding!

I bring a small fan that has a USB style plug, but have it in my carry-on to avoid the possibility of it being taken.

It doesn't put out a lot of air, but I don't have room for a big one. :)

Fans are generally allowed, but they have a right to pull them if they see something they don't like. Here's the relevant quote:

Electrical devices such as fans, power strips, multi plug box outlets/adaptors, and extension cords (without surge protectors) are allowed on board when used with proper caution. However, if such devices are determined to pose a hazard, they will be removed and returned the last day of the cruise prior to debark.

Source: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2261

OK, I'll bite: Why would you need a fan on an air conditioned ship?

Some people find the rooms to be too hot to sleep in comfortably. Alot of the rooms stay at in between 75-78 degrees. For some this is not cool enough to be able to sleep.

Some of the cabins are hot.

Really hot.

I like a fan because I use one at home to sleep and have since I was a kid.

I have also found when I started feeling a bit rocky that lying down and blowing the little fan on my face helped a lot.

I got one of those battery fans from Walmart.

I brought it in my checked luggage with the batteries in DH's bag.

I put the fan's electrical cord with my blow dryer in my bag.

You might laugh at this, but try it before you "knock" it. Take the pillow case off of your pillow and put it in the refrigerator about 1/2 an hour before you go to bed. Then put it back on the pillow and you'll have a nice cool place to rest your head. ;)

This is the fan I bought. It can run off batteries (have never tried that) OR it can run off a plug. *here is the important part*. the power plug disconnects from the unit itself, so it can look like battery only. I pack the power transformer separate from the fan, never had an issue. Always run off the transformer. Fan is pretty quiet (wish it made more white noise) but it REALLY moves air. it also has a USB charging port to charge phone or camera which is useful. It is also very slim and compact so packs easily.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/10-inch-battery-or-electric-fan-with-usb-charging-port/1041091883?categoryId=13326

Edited by LMaxwell

• 4 weeks later...

Sadly, they confiscated my tower fan that I had packed in my checked luggage for our 7/18/15 Freedom cruise out of Galveston. They said they had to check the wiring. It was in the original box, we had never used it, and thought it would be perfect to take for our canin. I have a skin condition that worsens in heat and sweat, so it was necessary. When we checked back with the powers-that-be they said it had not passed and so we would not be permitted to use it in our canin. We did pick it up as we were disembarking this past Saturday.

Instead, they gave us a small fan to use, which stopped working on the 2nd day. We reported it, and then got a heftier fan to use for the remainder of the cruise. It was a very good fan and worked for my skin issue. I can understand why they could not let us use our original tower fan. If everyone brought such a device onto the ship I am sure it would cause potential power problems, not to mention not knowing if what was wired in there was a bomb or something. I am fine with the decision made about my fan, and I enjoyed the cruise very much, and Carnival staff did their best to accomodate my needs. No complaints there. I just wanted to offer my experience to help others who are thinking about fans. On our 2 past Carnival cruises before this most recent one, we were 1 for 2 on fan requests. First cruise we asked for one we got one, the 2nd cruise we did not, which was why we attempted to bring our own this 3rd cruise.

They also confiscated a friend of mine's fan, still in box in her checked luggage this month on Triumph. We brought ours on in checked luggage, not in box on Elation in May w no problems. There is no rhyme or reason for those that pass thru and those that don't.

I bring a small fan that has a USB style plug, but have it in my carry-on to avoid the possibility of it being taken.

It doesn't put out a lot of air, but I don't have room for a big one. :)

I found mine on the Target clearance rack after the start of college season for under $10.

I bought a brand new fan from the Kmart in St. Thomas because our room on the Valor was unbearably hot. They confiscated it when we tried to bring it on even though it was brand new and I had the receipt to show it. There seems to be no rhyme or reason to why some allow them and others don't.

I bring a small fan from Walmart that is battery operated and has an adapter. The rooms get warm at night IMO and I'm used to sleeping with one for white noise (helps with neighbors are noisy). I have been on 24 cruises and always bring in carryon. Only one time in Port Canaveral they tried to take it. I had a copy of the policy and they let me keep it.