New Internet Policy - RCCL

We finally got smart and created a special cruising email account so we didn't have to wait for the tons of spam that seems to take forever.

Tom

What a great idea. So glad you shared it. I will totally adopt this! :D

If you buy one device, you can log into one iPad and check email then log off and then log on another? What is the discount for Diamond if you chose to buy internet for a week, one device? In my case I am on the Jewel next.

We take our first cruise as Diamond in Feb 2016. My reading here on CC indicates that you can log off one device and login with another, even on accounts that allow one device at a time. All 4 of our group are Diamond, my DB, his DW, my DW and I, and will each get 1 free day or its value towards a package. I think the value of a 1 day access is $29, not sure.

Since you can't combine the free days to buy the full week package to share, we will plan and use our 4 separate days (actually four 24 hour periods) to cover the 7 days and agree to login and out at specific times so each can have an access window. None of us are planning to live on our phones during the cruise, but it'll be nice to check in and read email and messages a few times a day, every day.

Obviously, there will be some gaps. You can't stretch 4 days to cover 7 without leaving some afternoons or mornings uncovered, but at least we'll have access either in the am or pm everyday.

PS. I just noticed that you're on the Jewel. I've never been on that ship and I haven't read anything about the Internet service on that ship specifically. We'll be on the Oasis next Feb and the Harmony in Feb 2017. My research was primarily focused on that class. I believe the same Internet services will be on all ships soon. Just not sure about the Jewel.

Edited by Hawaiifrank

Sorry if a little OT, but to the poster who asked how to get in touch in an emergency, there is a phone number someone on land can call that will get them in touch with your stateroom on the ship.

(888) 724-7447

you will need to give them the following info.

Cruise Line: Royal Caribbean

Ship: _________ of the Seas

Departure Date:

Room number:

It costs $8/minute :eek:, so is really only for emergency use.

as far as the internet package, i really liked the "60 minutes to use any time you want" cheapo one. we would check in for 5 min every evening to make sure my mom was ok (she's elderly and lives with us), but otherwise we like to be disconnected. i was on one of the quantum cruises with free internet and while it was nice, it also changed the whole experience for us - we prefer to be without. so now i have to pay a ton of money for 5 min of internet usage a day, or not buy a package and spend all trip worrying about my mom because i can't check in on her. not happy about that at all.

Still a little confused. If 2 of us in a cabin are both Diamond plus then for a 7 day cruise we each have 2 days or $79 credit each towards an unlimited plan. Is that correct?

Now, under that assumption, we would have $158 to put towards an unlimited plan for the 7 days. What would the price be for unlimited 7 days?

Still a little confused. If 2 of us in a cabin are both Diamond plus then for a 7 day cruise we each have 2 days or $79 credit each towards an unlimited plan. Is that correct?

Now, under that assumption, we would have $158 to put towards an unlimited plan for the 7 days. What would the price be for unlimited 7 days?

You cannot use more than one discount to purchase a plan.

You cannot use more than one discount to purchase a plan.

Humm... I was starting to like the new plan, putting the 2 $79 coupons together. That would make the 7 day work but now not too sure. My verdict is still out. Going on the Oasis in October. Plenty of time to decide.

On a 7 day cruise you will each get the equivalent of 2 x 24 hr periods of free internet as D+.

It is very easy to spread that time out and have far more access than previously.

1st persons D+ discount

day 1 2pm - day 2 2pm

Have a break

Day 2 9pm - day 3 9pm

Assume day 4 is a port day. (as others would be so you can work around when you wont be using the on board internet)

2nd persons D+ doscount

Day 4 7 pm - day 5 7 pm

Day 6 5 pm - day 7 5 pm

When I used my D discount on Quantum is was quite simple. When you go to choose your plan(in our case we had the $29 discount which is the same cost as 24 hour plan) it shows your discount and you choose "apply discount".

For both to get use you just log out and the second person logs in.

For anyone who wishes to do a little more than just check emails it is a far better deal.

I also can see where those who need to take a few minutes every so often to only check or send emails were better off under the old minutes plan. I would think that there are far more people who can better utilise the new discount option particularly on the ships with the updated high speed internet.

I think you're crying over nothing. Sounds to me like you feel your Diamond+ status is supposed to give you anything, YOU, feel is important, and, WHAT, you want.

We are Diamond+ too, and we could care less about receiving any type of freebies, bonuses, discounts, etc.

Are you cruising to cruise, or, cruising to receive free stuff that no cruise line has to give to anyone?

Granted, what anyone receives as a perk is welcome, but I'm not sure if ranting about your own personal unhappiness, along with trying to get everyone to agree with you is healthy for anybody.

If anyone has to be on the Internet for whatever reason, there are ways to reach that person(s). Maybe not the way you want it, but don't you think by making it sound like the world is coming to an end just because you can't accumulate internet minutes is maybe a bit extreme?

Hopefully you'd be able to enjoy your cruise because if you need to be on the Internet as much as you make it sound, aren't you wasting your hard earned money on the cruise itself?

I think you're crying over nothing. Sounds to me like you feel your Diamond+ status is supposed to give you anything, YOU, feel is important, and, WHAT, you want.

We are Diamond+ too, and we could care less about receiving any type of freebies, bonuses, discounts, etc.

Are you cruising to cruise, or, cruising to receive free stuff that no cruise line has to give to anyone?

Granted, what anyone receives as a perk is welcome, but I'm not sure if ranting about your own personal unhappiness, along with trying to get everyone to agree with you is healthy for anybody.

If anyone has to be on the Internet for whatever reason, there are ways to reach that person(s). Maybe not the way you want it, but don't you think by making it sound like the world is coming to an end just because you can't accumulate internet minutes is maybe a bit extreme?

Hopefully you'd be able to enjoy your cruise because if you need to be on the Internet as much as you make it sound, aren't you wasting your hard earned money on the cruise itself?

Very well put.

Who are you referring to. I hope it wasn't me. I did not imply anything like that I just asked a question. When I got the answer I couldn't use both coupons all I said was that my verdict was still out.

Maybe you should calm down a bit before you go after someone. I thought the purpose of Cruise Critic was to ask questions. That's all I did.

I was not referring to you at all. I was commenting on Travel Empress the original poster.

And there is no need to calm down because I was never worked up. If you read my post, everything too, was in question form just as you stated your post was.

So, why did you think I was referring to you unless you felt your comments were questionable?

And yes, people can ask anything they want. That is what this forum is about, however, it doesn't read to me that the original poster was asking questions in a constructive manner.

She was on the attack from her opening line and wanted to make sure everyone else became as angry as she was.

Count me in with those who are unhappy with the new pricing. Historically, I spent about $20 on Internet on a 7 day cruise. I just need a quick email check with elderly parents and the pet sitter. Per minute pricing worked for me and I have no desire to be online enough to make the new package pricing anywhere near a good deal. For my needs, the new pricing is unreasonable. Is it enough to make me lean towards another cruise line or even a land vacation? Maybe? However, I understand that Royal Caribbean is a for profit company and if this new pricing leads to increased revenue, then it will stay. If not, then maybe they will go back to a per minute pricing option. Judging by this thread, the pricing change might be a good business move, as it sounds like there's a demand for unlimited internet time.

I was not referring to you at all. I was commenting on Travel Empress the original poster.

And there is no need to calm down because I was never worked up. If you read my post, everything too, was in question form just as you stated your post was.

So, why did you think I was referring to you unless you felt your comments were questionable?

And yes, people can ask anything they want. That is what this forum is about, however, it doesn't read to me that the original poster was asking questions in a constructive manner.

She was on the attack from her opening line and wanted to make sure everyone else became as angry as she was.

So glad it wasn't me

Whew........ I feel better now.

I'm not saying I disagree with the frustration the original poster and others have with the new internet policy, including me. However, don't you think there is a less harsh way to express an opinion?

To me, expressing yourself in written form versus verbally is always a challenge, especially emails. Seems like they never come across well even if the person writing the email had the best of intentions. Lol

If anyone is fed up with the new internet policy please email agoldstein@rccl.com. I just reached Diamond Plus but despite that have vowed not to sail with them again. I am in the process of emailing them. I'll post the letter once I send it and encourage those of like mind do as well. Stay tuned

I notice you have 2 cruises booked with Celebrity next year. As they are owned by Royal you may wish to reconsider either the cruises or your boycott.

RCI is a FOR-PROFIT company and there are a lot of high fixed costs associated with data transmission and the CAPEX in maintaining the equipment. This stuff isn't cheap and if you're in private industry everything has a cost associated with it. It's not like the price is unreasonable and budget it into your trip. In all honesty if you need to be connected that badly why even go on a cruise?

Would be nice to know if this new D D+ internet policy is fleet wide or only for those upgraded Quantum and Oasis class ships.

How about the Voyager, Radiance, Vision classes where the internet is still slow? Are the internet access benefits for D and D+ also on consecutive 24 hour basis? Or still metered?

Would be nice to know if this new D D+ internet policy is fleet wide or only for those upgraded Quantum and Oasis class ships.

How about the Voyager, Radiance, Vision classes where the internet is still slow? Are the internet access benefits for D and D+ also on consecutive 24 hour basis? Or still metered?

The new internet program for D/D+/PC Members began it's roll out in April of this year. We were on Legend in April and were able to take advantage. In June we were on Liberty and were also able to take advantage.

Each Diamond member gets 1 24 hour consecutive session on the internet. Each Diamond Plus member gets 2 24 hour consecutive sessions on the internet. When signing in, you will be given the option to use the $$ value of that session towards a package.

Royal and Celebrity need to adjust their perks/packages for longer sailings. The Celebrity Go Best promo is definitely less valuable on a long cruise. I understand why they don't, it saves them money. But it certainly encourages me to book B2B instead of a 14 night cruise. And with Royal you'd get your Diamond discount applied to each leg.

If you buy one device, you can log into one iPad and check email then log off and then log on another? What is the discount for Diamond if you chose to buy internet for a week, one device? In my case I am on the Jewel next.

On the Allure TA they did have internet specials after the first week. A discount on a 2 or 4 day package.

We are both D+, so we use one discount for the first two days, logging on/off so we each can use it. Then, repeat with the other discount for days 3 and 4. Since we use the internet at different times of the day, it works well for the two of us.

On day 5 most ships start offering a discount special, and we get that for 2 days.