New Internet Policy - RCCL

It was a bitter sweet moment for me when I finally achieved Diamond Plus status with Royal Caribbean on my last of three back to back cruises starting May 3rd and ending on June 12th. The reason for this is I had to make the decision to never cruise with your company again due to what I think is an absolutely outrageous policy regarding the internet. Upon boarding I was shocked to find out that I could not manage minutes over a period of time and would be without internet for days on end unless I spent $150 to $200 dollars per cruise on the internet. I find this new policy reprehensible and absolutely untenable for those of us with business's, children, elderly parents and other life issues which require interaction with people at home over the internet.

In addition, your company adds insult to injury by requesting we spend our precious internet minutes filling out your customer satisfaction surveys, particularly those of us on back to back cruises. The only feedback you will get from me is on Cruise Critic, Trip Advisor and anybody else who requests travel reviews and it will reflect my opinion about your new internet policy. If I had known of this policy change when I booked these cruises, I would have canceled them. It is absolute highway robbery that I had to spend $500 plus to stay in touch with business associates and my family while I was gone for 40days. This is an absolute deal breaker for me.

Rest assured I will be discouraging anybody who will listen NOT to travel with Royal for this very reason and write a similar email expressing their views on this policy. I strongly recommend you reconsider this policy and allow all your cruisers to be able to manage minutes over the course of the cruise. People are far away from home and need to be in touch with loved ones and business associates in case of emergencies. Its a safety issue. A one day or three day package on a fourteen day cruise doesn't cut it and never will for a multitude of reasons. Please reconsider this policy and allow us to buy packages which allow us to manage minutes over the entire course of our cruise. If you decide to change this policy, I'll be back. If not, I'm gone for good.

What is the new internet policy?

Depending on your cruise they allow one day (24 hour consecutive) for $50 or 3 day (72 hour consecutive) for $99 or internet for the whole cruise (14 days plus) at $150-$199 dollars.

On a 14 day cruise this program leaves you without internet for 11 days

On my 3 B2B2B cruises I would have not had access for 40 days

There is no more managing your set amount of minutes - thus leaving you for long periods with no access.. You use it during your given time frame and that's it. It is outrageously overpriced and for B2B cruisers totally unworkable.

Agree that it's pretty outrageous and a dramatic change for the worse. We were on the 6 day Jewel San Diego to Vancouver trip in May and when we saw those prices decided to not do any internet access at all. Then, however, we discovered that we did get 100 free minutes, probably due to our Diamond status. We were able to make those minutes last for the whole 6 days, as we didn't do anything except check email a couple of times. This policy would affect our future decisions on taking a longer cruise on RCI - it's really a very bad policy.

I agree...I'm also upset with the new internet policy. As a D+ I too could manage to make my internet time last for the duration of my cruise. Just one more downgrade for those that have been loyal :(

Depending on your cruise they allow one day (24 hour consecutive) for $50 or 3 day (72 hour consecutive) for $99 or internet for the whole cruise (14 days plus) at $150-$199 dollars.

On a 14 day cruise this program leaves you without internet for 11 days

On my 3 B2B2B cruises I would have not had access for 40 days

There is no more managing your set amount of minutes - thus leaving you for long periods with no access.. You use it during your given time frame and that's it. It is outrageously overpriced and for B2B cruisers totally unworkable.

If you have a business, wouldn't your access expenses be a business expense? So what's the issue? $199 for a whole 14 day+ cruise sounds reasonable to me. We paid $250 for our 14 night TA...

So, unlimited internet is now only $10-14/day? That's finally comparable to a land based hotel! Although, as Marriott and Starwood Gold, I get free internet as a perk, so it would be nice if RCCL did the same for Diamond and above...

Charging by the minute was always a crazy way to charge for internet access. Charging by the megabyte would have been much more logical.

If you have a business, wouldn't your access expenses be a business expense? So what's the issue? $199 for a whole 14 day+ cruise sounds reasonable to me. We paid $250 for our 14 night TA...

I don't think that's the point. Further, if you have a family emergency, sick parents/relatives etc. its just highway robbery. I just can't in all good conscience support this gouge fest.

Seriously...OP is never going to cruise on Royal Caribbean again AND is going to tell everyone she can not to cruise with RC because of the change in the D+ internet policy?? Is this a joke?

I know that the first thing on my list of what's important to me on a cruise vacation isn't the entertainment, the activities, the food and specialty restaurants, the concierge lounge or the service, ...it's the D+ internet policy.:rolleyes:

The real issue is I don't get chocolates on my pillow every night. Now THAT'S a reason to bail on RC!:eek: (OK..just joking about the chocolates)

Edited by Janet524

You might have better luck sending your email to the correct office since Adam Goldstein is no longer President and CEO of RCI.

I also sent it to Mr. Fain. Goldstein is working for the parent organization which oversees RCCL, Celebrity etc. so I think he should get it as well.

They really have a knack for pissing people off lately! Who's at the helm of this company gone adrift? It's getting more and more painful and they seem to not be in control of anything any more. They're clearly unable to communicate internally, and it shows out side of the walls of Royal Caribbean.

They're outwardly giving the impression of not caring about the fan base that has made them, and have made it clear that they like to nickel and dime everyone.

Additionally, their arrogance about their position in the industry have put quite a large number of people off.

They visibly believe that they can make decisions, hide truths and hide behind a corporate veil without any consequences.

They do need a wake-up call!

I have a cruise in about a year aboard Anthem.

Based on everything that Ive seen, it too will be my last with them.

I'm also A Diamond member.

Virgin Cruises just launched in Miami.

They'll be a breath of fresh air!

I can't wait!

I do believe that currently RC delivers some of the best ships in the industry.

However, if the experience doesn't align with the product, they might as well book us on a barge.

Seriously...OP is never going to cruise on Royal Caribbean again AND is going to tell everyone she can not to cruise with RC because of the change in the D+ internet policy?? Is this a joke?

I know that the first thing on my list of what's important to me on a cruise vacation isn't the entertainment, the activities, the food and specialty restaurants, the concierge lounge or the service, ...it's the D+ internet policy.:rolleyes:

The real issue is I don't get chocolates on my pillow every night. Now THAT'S a reason to bail on RC!:eek: (OK..just joking about the chocolates)

Maybe its not important to you but to those of us who place value on that access, there are other cruise lines who don't have such limits on the internet and offer all of the above that you mentioned and do a better job of it. That's my only point. I had to spend almost $500 on internet during my 3 B2B cruises. If I had known, I would have canceled.

The point is that some people have things that they need to attend to, and given the rate, it makes sense to be charged as you use your minutes.

The new policy has you paying for a block of time.

If you check your email once, the clock starts and then am doesn't stop until time runs out.

So if you decide that you can disconnect for a few days, when you go to check your email a few days later, you'll be asked for more money, even though you used 10 minutes out of your 5 days worth.

Your sarcasm is misplaced, obnoxious and frankly shows your ignorance.

It really has no place here.

THIS!!!:)

Wow, almost 500 nights at sea for you :)

And OP, in my experience, RC will give you free time to complete the survey when on B2B

So, unlimited internet is now only $10-14/day? That's finally comparable to a land based hotel! Although, as Marriott and Starwood Gold, I get free internet as a perk, so it would be nice if RCCL did the same for Diamond and above...

Charging by the minute was always a crazy way to charge for internet access. Charging by the megabyte would have been much more logical.

Not sure what hotels you are staying at but ALL of the hotels that I've stayed at in the last 15 years of international travel have been 100% free.

Agree that it's pretty outrageous and a dramatic change for the worse. We were on the 6 day Jewel San Diego to Vancouver trip in May and when we saw those prices decided to not do any internet access at all. Then, however, we discovered that we did get 100 free minutes, probably due to our Diamond status. We were able to make those minutes last for the whole 6 days, as we didn't do anything except check email a couple of times. This policy would affect our future decisions on taking a longer cruise on RCI - it's really a very bad policy.

Given your feelings about the situation, I think the most productive thing to do is write a letter and email it to the powers that be. Perhaps they will change their minds if enough of us make the effort to write.

I agree...I'm also upset with the new internet policy. As a D+ I too could manage to make my internet time last for the duration of my cruise. Just one more downgrade for those that have been loyal :(

Given your feelings about the situation, I think the most productive thing to do is write a letter and email it to the powers that be. Perhaps they will change their minds if enough of us make the effort to write.

They really have a knack for pissing people off lately! Who's at the helm of this company gone adrift? It's getting more and more painful and they seem to not be in control of anything any more. They're clearly unable to communicate internally, and it shows out side of the walls of Royal Caribbean.

They're outwardly giving the impression of not caring about the fan base that has made them, and have made it clear that they like to nickel and dime everyone.

Additionally, their arrogance about their position in the industry have put quite a large number of people off.

They visibly believe that they can make decisions, hide truths and hide behind a corporate veil without any consequences.

They do need a wake-up call!

I have a cruise in about a year aboard Anthem.

Based on everything that Ive seen, it too will be my last with them.

I'm also A Diamond member.

Virgin Cruises just launched in Miami.

They'll be a breath of fresh air!

I can't wait!

I do believe that currently RC delivers some of the best ships in the industry.

However, if the experience doesn't align with the product, they might as well book us on a barge.

I'm hoping they will change the policy and it won't come to that. Given your feelings about the situation, I think the most productive thing to do is write a letter and email it to the powers that be. Otherwise they won't know why you are making the change.

Originally Posted by GottaKnowWhen If you have a business, wouldn't your access expenses be a business expense? So what's the issue? $199 for a whole 14 day+ cruise sounds reasonable to me. We paid $250 for our 14 night TA...

I don't think that's the point. Further, if you have a family emergency, sick parents/relatives etc. its just highway robbery. I just can't in all good conscience support this gouge fest.

Diamond Plus, Royal Caribbean/Elite, Celebrity

So you pay once. It doesn't matter if you have a family emergency or are streaming rugby matches or are conducting business in the middle of your vacation (?) for which your business is paying, the bill has already been paid. Paid at a rate that is by commercial standards a reasonable price. I cannot understand why Royal should be expected to give me a lower price because I travel with sick parents at home. I don't understand what the issue is nor do I understand why, if this little extra on the bill is such a big deal to you, why didn't you do a bit of research and find out what you were getting into before you booked however many days/weeks/months on the ship? Most people on tight budgets learn to plan ahead, anticipate costs, manage expenditures... Been there, done that.