New Internet Policy - RCCL

It changed effective April of this year and was first rolled out on Quantum, Oasis and Allure. It was then slowly rolled out to all the other ships in the fleet.

Diamond Members get 24 consecutive hours, Diamond Plus get 48 consecutive hours and Pinnacle Club get unlimited internet for the duration of the cruise.

When establishing an account Diamond and Diamond Plus Members are given the option to apply their times towards a package.

Not always consecutive.

2517 - 2 FREE DAYS of internet usage or $79.90 off any internet purchase ((Valid for ONE device and two individual 24 consecutive hour sessions)

FWIW, I could only log on with one device during each session. This was on Freedom last week. I ultimately did use a second device for my second 24 hour session.

ry%3D400

Edit - sorry for the poor quality. I will try and update it later today

Edited by John&LaLa

Not always consecutive.

2517 - 2 FREE DAYS of internet usage or $79.90 off any internet purchase ((Valid for ONE device and two individual 24 consecutive hour sessions)

FWIW, I could only log on with one device during each session. This was on Freedom last week. I ultimately did use a second device for my second 24 hour session.

ry%3D400

I should have said a session is 24 consecutive hours. Thanks for catching that.:o

Email has been sent to applaud them for their "new" Internet Options.

I´m more than happy to finally have an unlimited Internet Option (again). Yes it was while widely unknown available in the early years of Radiance and Voyager class already as a wired Option from your cabin.

It´s one of the best things they´ve done lately to offer these packages.

Thanks to the OP for pointing this out and making sure I let RCI know how happy I am and to spread the word over many other travel sites.

OK, I had mentioned it on the Surveys already a few times. :cool:

Not always consecutive.

FWIW, I could only log on with one device during each session. This was on Freedom last week.

John, please clarify on the "one device" part of this. I realize it is supposed to be one device at a time, but if you log out with your phone then attempt to log into the same account with a tablet, does it not let you in?

We are Diamond and going on the Oasis for a b2b next February. I was hoping to combine and share our days with my brother & SIL, also Diamond. We were hoping to alternate our use periods during the 24-hour periods so we could all check email or post to CC or other sites intermittently throughout our combined 8 days over the 2 weeks.

Does the system actually remember the device identifier and only allow a single, unique device to login during the 24 - hour day?

Edited by Hawaiifrank

On my first cruise as diamond plus I used my 2 days at separate times. I logged on about midday and then had Internet available the next day in the am. My second day I used at the end of the cruise. I figure when DH is with me we can have partial access for 8 days. That is better than an hour each for a trip!

I got spoiled on Quantum when on two voyages everyone had free internet access the whole trip. Hope all ships eventually come to that.

My objection to the new policy is that they have rolled out the new pricing to the older ships without rolling out the new technology with it.

I recently sailed on Oasis, and I thought that with the new O3B technology the $15/day was a decent value and not out of line with what many hotels charge. I was very pleasantly surprised to have an enjoyable internet experience onboard and be able to keep up with news etc.

On all of my previous Royal sailings though, I've found the wifi painfully slow and browsing to be almost unusable, so all I would do is download my email and log off. Unless they roll out the O3B technology across the fleet (and I've seen no news saying when or if they will do so), $15/day on the Voyager or Radiance class ships sounds like a horrible value that I wouldn't pay.

-- Kevin

This is all correct, and there is another factor that was a hypothesis of mine, but was basically confirmed by Richard Fain (I think it was Fain) when being interviewed about Q-class... pricing people out!

The bandwidth is now improving with the new O3B systems in place. However it's still not sufficient (and certainly isn't sufficient on ships without O3B) to have every guest simultaneously connected. The bandwidth just isn't available.

I suppose it's simple supply and demand. There's only so much bandwidth so to ensure a reasonable quality of service, the service is prices so that only a certain percentage of passengers will use it.

We cruised on Oasis in January and then were set to cruise Jewel in May when we saw that it was going to cost us more for internet for a 6 day cruise on Jewel then the 7 days on Oasis with the faster system. When I emailed Royal this was the response I received.

With regard to the internet services, it's true, our larger ships are now equipped with the fastest internet at sea, and is truly High Speed Internet. We are working to roll this out fleet wide but as you can imagine there are always significant business costs associated to facilitate this, such as placing satellites into obit, ships rewiring, and installation of antennas etc. The various systems between the ships have varied costs associated and thus are passed onto our guests. We try to manage that cost as best as possible so that our guests can maintain connectivity to the rest of the world. There is a significant difference between the larger ships capacity that we divided by the number of guests, can make the prices lower. On ships with fewer guests the prices are then higher as you have less capacity to spread the costs out to. It's complicated, but is something we are working on daily and anticipate to have a more even price structure fleet wide very soon.

Simply stated the less capacity on the ship the more they are going to charge. Definitely supply and demand in action. Not only was it slower, it costs more.

Edited by PCWalton1

Do you know if Diamond members can have both of their coupons applied to one internet package to use on one device? We really don't want to buy 2 packages when all we do is check e-mail. Our phones would cost a lot to check e-mails unless we are in the US or a US territory. Thanks!

Theoretically you can get 4 days of Internet access if both passengers are D+. You can just use separate days. Start use @ 12:00 noon every other day would give you multiple partial days of access.

Depending on the concierge you may be able to combine everything to get $120 off an unlimited package.

That said, I also hate the new consecutive hours system. I would prefer to get 24-48 hours spread over 7 days. More than enough for me.

Theoretically you can get 4 days of Internet access if both passengers are D+. You can just use separate days. Start use @ 12:00 noon every other day would give you multiple partial days of access.

Depending on the concierge you may be able to combine everything to get $120 off an unlimited package.

That said, I also hate the new consecutive hours system. I would prefer to get 24-48 hours spread over 7 days. More than enough for me.

But you only got 90 minutes or so with previous program from what I remember. I would not expect best of both worlds. ;)

John, please clarify on the "one device" part of this. I realize it is supposed to be one device at a time, but if you log out with your phone then attempt to log into the same account with a tablet, does it not let you in?

We are Diamond and going on the Oasis for a b2b next February. I was hoping to combine and share our days with my brother & SIL, also Diamond. We were hoping to alternate our use periods during the 24-hour periods so we could all check email or post to CC or other sites intermittently throughout our combined 8 days over the 2 weeks.

Does the system actually remember the device identifier and only allow a single, unique device to login during the 24 - hour day?

My experience is that I could not utilize my phone after I bought the first package with my Chromebook. Some folks suggested I go to loggoff.com or something like that.

Did not have an issue with second set of sessions since there was a promotion for two days two devices for $60 and Laura's $79.90 coupon was applied

BTW, my sea pass account only showed the charge and credit for my first session.

My experience is that I could not utilize my phone after I bought the first package with my Chromebook. Some folks suggested I go to loggoff.com or something like that.

Did not have an issue with second set of sessions since there was a promotion for two days two devices for $60 and Laura's $79.90 coupon was applied

BTW, my sea pass account only showed the charge and credit for my first session.

Yes, you have to "log off" one device before you can "log on" to another device. I had no problem using both the Internet cafe computer and/or using my IPad -- as long as I logged off properly. This was on a recent Grandeur voyage. Katherine

Yes, you have to "log off" one device before you can "log on" to another device. I had no problem using both the Internet cafe computer and/or using my IPad -- as long as I logged off properly. This was on a recent Grandeur voyage. Katherine

Like I said earlier, it could be things work differently from ship to ship. Our discount sheet had ONE in capital letters. I am not the most savvy user, but I did everything I knew to logoff correctly.

BTW, I am not attempting to scream 'one', just trying to replicate the coupon description. :eek:

Does anyone know if you can combine the available discount (10%) for Gold C&A to make it 20% off e.g. an internet package if there is two Gold members in a cabin? I notice some Diamond and Diamond+ have been mentioning they did that for the monetary amount they get off.

Does anyone know if you can combine the available discount (10%) for Gold C&A to make it 20% off e.g. an internet package if there is two Gold members in a cabin? I notice some Diamond and Diamond+ have been mentioning they did that for the monetary amount they get off.

No, they will not let you combine discounts from two people into one package.

What happened with me on Rhapsody last month was that I could log on with my phone even if I had forgotten to go to logoff.com on the laptop. I just couldn't be live online with both at the same time.

I think some of the flaming the OP has received is typical of the boards and most contribute little to the predicament she found herself in. Having the allotted time spread out over the course of a 2 week cruise is what she and many others need and were expecting when they booked. Simples.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Like I said earlier, it could be things work differently from ship to ship. Our discount sheet had ONE in capital letters. I am not the most savvy user, but I did everything I knew to logoff correctly.

BTW, I am not attempting to scream 'one', just trying to replicate the coupon description. :eek:

Got it. Also just trying to explain what I experienced:) Katherine

What happened with me on Rhapsody last month was that I could log on with my phone even if I had forgotten to go to logoff.com on the laptop. I just couldn't be live online with both at the same time.

I think some of the flaming the OP has received is typical of the boards and most contribute little to the predicament she found herself in. Having the allotted time spread out over the course of a 2 week cruise is what she and many others need and were expecting when they booked. Simples.

I can't fathom trying to spread 30 minutes over 14 days. That is probably why the old way never appealed to me. Granted, they didn't make any money of my free 96 hours. But they did make me a happy camper

But you only got 90 minutes or so with previous program from what I remember. I would not expect best of both worlds. ;)

We can only dream. :)

RCI knows that 90% of 24 hours will never be used. Even if you remain logged in, unless you are going to spend a good chunk of your vacation surfing the web, most is downtime. You'll spend 33% of that time just sleeping.

We can only dream. :)

RCI knows that 90% of 24 hours will never be used. Even if you remain logged in, unless you are going to spend a good chunk of your vacation surfing the web, most is downtime. You'll spend 33% of that time just sleeping.

Red Bull.

1435632616243.jpg.256f0bef58664b9eea27ecb8c2c3987f.jpg

So, unlimited internet is now only $10-14/day? That's finally comparable to a land based hotel! Although, as Marriott and Starwood Gold, I get free internet as a perk, so it would be nice if RCCL did the same for Diamond and above...

Charging by the minute was always a crazy way to charge for internet access. Charging by the megabyte would have been much more logical.

I couldn't agree more! FINALLY I can have access to a device to post updates, check email, and look up whatever I want for a reasonable price. No more trying to hurry up and figure out how many minutes I have left. I figure if you can afford a B2B, then you can easily afford this necessity, especially if it is a business expense (just my thoughts, don't get upset with me).