HAL - Browser problem?

Vict0riann

I just called HAL shore excursion department, because I have not been able to access the shore excursion list for our next cruise (next April). The computer has been telling me for the last week that I can't book anything because we are within 3 days of departure.

The agent I spoke with told me I can't use Safari to access the shore excursions any more because they have updated their site. I have to use Firefox. So I said I would just have to book private shore excursions! Then I said thank you and she said "You're welcome very much!"

Help!:eek::D

I just called HAL shore excursion department, because I have not been able to access the shore excursion list for our next cruise (next April). The computer has been telling me for the last week that I can't book anything because we are within 3 days of departure.

The agent I spoke with told me I can't use Safari to access the shore excursions any more because they have updated their site. I have to use Firefox. So I said I would just have to book private shore excursions! Then I said thank you and she said "You're welcome very much!"

hmmm, methinks the person you were talking to is wrong. I think there's another issue. I just went in to try to book a shore excursion on my ipad (and yes, I use Safari) and it went into my cart no problem. I normally use my laptop if I booking something on HAL, but I didn't seem to have an issue.

I did read about someone else having this problem in another thread where they and several others said that the site said they were sailing in 3 days and couldn't book but I can't recall it yet, I'm sorry. (Something about "already sailed" rings a bell )

Ironically I was having a problem booking on the Oceania site and there was a discussion on their board about something else on the site that was causing some problems, so I posted. Within 10 minutes I had a post from Mike in tech asking me to email him so he could look into it!

You can colour me impressed. It might be worth trying chrome or firefox but I honestly don't think that is the problem.

Any website that is not compatible with safari is not developed by a very bright designer with all the ipads out there. Love how your private tours went right over their head. - NOT.

This same thing happened to me over a week ago. I tried to book side trips on my Mac using Safari. When I got the same error message, I contacted HAL and was also told to use Firefox. I then went to my IPad and, using Safari, I was able to book the trips. I am fairly sure that it had something to do with using that browser on my Mac. That said, it seems awfully strange that HAL has not fixed the problem as there have to be a lot of people having the same problem.

Seeing as we are on the same cruise I just did a test booking on my iPad using Safari and got as far as putting in a credit card number before I backed off. No problem at this end.

I just tried it on my Mac, using Safari. I had no issues. I didn't go as far as Sapper did but I did put a shorex into my cart and then removed it from the cart.

Ditto. Did a dummy booking on my MacBook using Safari with not trouble at all.

What OS/IOS are you using? I suppose there could be an issue if you aren't using an up-to-date release.

hmmm, methinks the person you were talking to is wrong. I think there's another issue. I just went in to try to book a shore excursion on my ipad (and yes, I use Safari) and it went into my cart no problem. I normally use my laptop if I booking something on HAL, but I didn't seem to have an issue.

I did read about someone else having this problem in another thread where they and several others said that the site said they were sailing in 3 days and couldn't book but I can't recall it yet, I'm sorry. (Something about "already sailed" rings a bell )

Ironically I was having a problem booking on the Oceania site and there was a discussion on their board about something else on the site that was causing some problems, so I posted. Within 10 minutes I had a post from Mike in tech asking me to email him so he could look into it!

Haha! That was probably me on that other thread. I did eventually clean up my cookies, and still couldn't do anything. So I called today. She was pretty useless. I'm thinking I might call my PCC now that I have one, as we are thinking of booking another cruise anyway. I don't know what she can do, but you never know...:)

DH has managed to get around the 3 day thingy on his computer, but even he couldn't do it on mine. He wants to use "cocktail" on it!

So, I managed to see some shore excursions by going into My Itinerary, and in the new itinerary format, click on shore excursions. I don't think the little icons they give you there show any reviews, though. I guess it will all be sorted out in the end. I'm not really that interested in their shore excursions, anyway, just like to do a bit of "comparison shopping"...:)

Actually, the only thing I've changed recently was to install a new flash player, then I started having problems with Photobucket, too. Maybe I'll have to go back and un-install it!

Edited by Vict0riann

just booked an excursion on my ipad, using safari, 2 days ago...went through smoothly and credit card was charged on my statement this morning,

I did notice last night, while looking at cruise itineraries in the future, that the site was finicky...

Carol

Edited by CJcruzer

You can colour me impressed. It might be worth trying chrome or firefox but I honestly don't think that is the problem.

Any website that is not compatible with safari is not developed by a very bright designer with all the ipads out there. Love how your private tours went right over their head. - NOT.

I'm still having this problem. :mad:

Did you clear cache? Can't hurt to try.

Honestly, I think it sounds like an issue on their end, even if it's only affecting a few people. Could be something they miscoded in their system for the itinerary you have booked.

Unfortunately, front end staff is usually clueless when it comes to IT stuff. It'll take the right person hearing enough reports of the same problem to report it to their IT dept before it gets fixed.

I went in to the Apple store this morning, and the gal there un-installed my flash player, and then installed another one, and she also said I need a new OS, recommending Yosemite. I've been having problems downloading it, so I'm waiting for some assistance from my DD, and hope that will clear everything up. Stand by for future updates! (And hopefully, photos.:))

I called HAL this afternoon to ask a question about an excursion. The Rep answered my question, then suggested I book it by phone because so many people were having trouble with the site. I politely declined, as I have never had a problem booking online. Sure enough, my Windows laptop let me get as far as entering the info, but would not let me submit it. On my next call to book the excursion by phone, I was told that only Google Chrome and Firefox worked! Somebody needs a new IT Department.

Have had much better luck with fixing computer problems by emailing HAL thru Contact Us. Found that if I called, had no idea if the person who answered the call could really help me. A day after the email, an IT person called and between him working on his end and me following his instructions, all was good and weeks later there have been no problems.

I got the same response. Hard to believe!:eek: They are shutting out a lot of people.

I have started on a different route: When I log in to My Account, up at the top of the page it says "Depart in NaN Days". It should say 269 days, I think. I have emailed HAL and asked them to correct that. No response so far.:rolleyes:

I am able to check out the shore excursions by going in to my itinerary and clicking on the ports. I think DH has to do it that way, too. We both use Safari.

I was told yesterday afternoon by the Shore Excursion rep that if I EVER wanted to book online again, that I must change my browser to Firefox or Google Chrome. What the ....???

This is a serious failure in website design and customer service. They should consider paying for the services of qualified software professionals. Such browser restrictions are inexcusable.

I got the same response. Hard to believe!:eek: They are shutting out a lot of people.

I have started on a different route: When I log in to My Account, up at the top of the page it says "Depart in NaN Days". It should say 269 days, I think. I have emailed HAL and asked them to correct that. No response so far.:rolleyes:

I am able to check out the shore excursions by going in to my itinerary and clicking on the ports. I think DH has to do it that way, too. We both use Safari.

I can access the ports and excursions; I can even input all booking info. However, I dead end when I try to submit the info.

I can access the ports and excursions; I can even input all booking info. However, I dead end when I try to submit the info.

Check your security settings, they may be blocking you from sending info to the type of 'site' they see when you hit submit. Not all browsers or Virus blockers bother to tell you the problem.

There was a pretty big problem with Safari, Chrome and other webkit based browsers that was patched in the last few days. Without getting into too much detail, there was an endless loop introduced into the SSL call at checkout. It had nothing to do with the sites. It was a browser bug.

Well, I'm using Firefox and cannot access "Indulgences" to order some items for my stateroom. I'll try Chrome when I get home tonight. Very strange.

Hmmm. Just tried accessing via Chrome on my Android and that's also not working.

Edited by margaretlb