Wine but not water??

Did I read/understand correctly that we can bring bottles of wine on board, but not bottles of water?

If that's the case, what is their reasoning for that? Why can wine drinkers have their own stuff but not water drinkers :confused::confused:

The only time they seem to confiscate water is during spring break periods when there is a lot of alcohol smuggling attempted. Most people who bring a case of water with them do not have problems. Sometimes they will tag it and deliver, other times they may ask you to carry it on, so I usually bring it in a rolling carryon.

You know what happened at Carnival? The water "people" would find every creative way to conceal their booze with it. It also created boarding nightmares. Now RCCL is not quite like Carnival, and much more in control but this has become a huge issue. There is plenty of water on board, and lugging a case of water per person just simply gets in the way.

On the drink packages, some of them include bottled water.

Honestly, I like RCCL and the controls they have, and would hate to see this as a great water debate for RCCL.

Just drink the water on board....it's clean, safe and plentiful.

Did I read/understand correctly that we can bring bottles of wine on board, but not bottles of water?

If that's the case, what is their reasoning for that? Why can wine drinkers have their own stuff but not water drinkers :confused::confused:

You are allowed 2 750ml bottles of wine per cabin. You can also bring water if you like as well. Have done it many times with no problem. They are more cautious during Spring Break because of how creative some can get.:D

My question is what is the reasoning to bring water on a cruise ship?:confused:

There is unlimited water on board that is free.

Some people (my wife being one) report ankle swelling if they drink the ship's water. When she drinks bottled water on the ship, no swelling.

Some people (my wife being one) report ankle swelling if they drink the ship's water. When she drinks bottled water on the ship, no swelling.

This is what happens to us!! Big time!! Especially on the older ships. They are not getting all the sodium out of the water or something. We can NOT drink the water on the ship unless we want big problems. Also my husband's kidney's do not function anywhere close to 100% and that is also an issue. He needs to drink large amounts of water and the ship's water is not good for him. For most people.....it is not an issue, but for us...it is and a serious one. We have a doctor's note for this ever since our water was confiscated during a holiday cruise.

The ships get their water directly from the ocean (slat water). If not all the salt is not removed it can cause swelling on the ankles and legs on people with certain medical conditions (Kidney failure is just one). Bottled water is better as you can pick one that has little to no salt. The ships charge a lot for bottled water, therefore, it is cheaper to bring your own also they may not have your brand.

Lol! I agree...no need to lug water onboard! You can get as much ice water as you want, anywhere you want it, anytime you want it!

Because they want to?

Okay, the ship's water makes my ankles swell problem, again.

Ship's water comes from three sources: shore water in ports, distilled water from ship's evaporators, and desalinated water from reverse osmosis water makers.

Shore water, from whatever port, must meet USPH standards for purity, so it is no worse, and in many cases, better than home municipal water.

Distilled water from the evaporators is just that, distilled. It is boiled to leave the salt behind, and then condensed into water. These units will have monitors that will dump the distillate to the sea if the salinity goes above 1ppm.

Desalinated water has the highest sodium content of the three ship's waters, but this is also monitored and dumped if above 20ppm. Normally, the pores in the membranes that "filter" out the salt from the water are sized for water molecules, which are smaller than sodium ions.

All three of these water sources are mixed onboard ship, so the higher sodium in the desalinated water is dispersed by the other two.

What do all of these three water sources have in common? Chlorine. Shore water is chlorinated on its way to the ship' tanks. Water made onboard is chlorinated on its way to the ship's tanks. The water sent throughout the ship is constantly circulating, and while circulating it is monitored and chlorinated so that the residual chlorine is 0.5-1ppm at the farthest point from chlorination, so wherever you get your water from will generally have a higher chlorine content.

Why do I mention chlorine? It has been shown to cause water retention in humans. So, you say, its not the salt in the ship's water that causes swelling, its the chlorine. So ship's water is still bad? Not really. If you are sensitive to water retention, try getting all of your water from water dispensers in the restaurants, bars, and buffet. Even pitchers of water used to fill your glass at the table, will have been filled at a water dispenser. These water dispensers (along with ice makers) have charcoal filters to remove the chlorine (its a maintenance thing, not because of the taste). So this water is de-chlorinated, and will reduce the water retention.

Also, residual chlorine will dissipate over time, which is why you don't taste chlorine from your municipal water source, as it sits in the underground pipes, it dissipates. The ship continually adds chlorine to make up for this dissipation. How does this help? Fill a pitcher of water from your sink, let it sit open (in fridge is okay, too) for a few hours. The chlorine will dissipate and along with it the taste and the water retention.

Hope this helps.

DH and I are big water drinkers. We like having our own stash of bottled water to take our meds with AND just to drink down while we're chilling in our cabin. They're great for carrying with us on our excursions without having to buy it off the ship. Nothing wrong with the water onboard, we just prefer our own readily available.

We like having our own stash of bottled water to take our meds with AND just to drink down while we're chilling in our cabin. They're great for carrying with us on our excursions without having to buy it off the ship. Nothing wrong with the water onboard, we just prefer our own readily available.

Many CC members report bringing a brita or some sort of water filter/pitcher or refillable bottles for that type of use.

As for the "I can't drink ship's water" crowd, if it really is that much of a problem just make sure you have a doctor's note in case they decide yours is the cruise they are going to crack down on the "no outside drinks" rule.

Many CC members report bringing a brita or some sort of water filter/pitcher or refillable bottles for that type of use.

I've never heard of bringing a water filter, but it sounds like a good alternative.

Also, residual chlorine will dissipate over time, which is why you don't taste chlorine from your municipal water source, as it sits in the underground pipes, it dissipates. The ship continually adds chlorine to make up for this dissipation. How does this help? Fill a pitcher of water from your sink, let it sit open (in fridge is okay, too) for a few hours. The chlorine will dissipate and along with it the taste and the water retention.

Hope this helps.

I can CONFIRM this. Noticed a HUGE difference in the level of fluid retention when I filled my glasses and let them sit( after I had to nicely leave a note to the CS to STOP emptying them and giving me new clean glasses every time he entered the cabin heheheh)

I never thought ask for a pitcher, would be a great idea to fill one as you go to bed and have it be fully dissipated for my morning pills.

we always get the one bottle of free stuff being in a suite and are now speshul enough to get our choice or water or soda in the cabin so feel no need to bringing on board although if we do buy a drink package that includes it we my avail ourselves of some for port visits I am just morally opposed to all that waste over all

Long answer: My family of five drink a lot of water and it is nice to have in the room so I don't have to take the time to go get a glass all the time, plus carrying a cup of water down flights of stairs...spillage. We also take our hydroflasks plus at least two bottles into each port. With as much as we drink, it would cost us a fortune to buy bottled on board and in the ports. I can buy a case of 40 bottles at Costco for less than 5 dollars.

Short answer: Convenience and saving money.

Okay, the ship's water makes my ankles swell problem, again.....

Once again, I appreciate the time you take to educate us.

I can't explain the phenomena, but when my wife drinks the water on the lunch and dinner table, her ankles swell. I see it, it's a measurable quantity. The only change she makes is bottled water on the lunch and dinner table, and no swelling. This is not something we've seen one or two cruises, but many. Sometimes we don't get bottled water, thinking that maybe whatever ship we're on might be different, but by the second or third day, the ankles swell, and we end up buying bottled water.

Once again, I appreciate the time you take to educate us.

I can't explain the phenomena, but when my wife drinks the water on the lunch and dinner table, her ankles swell. I see it, it's a measurable quantity. The only change she makes is bottled water on the lunch and dinner table, and no swelling. This is not something we've seen one or two cruises, but many. Sometimes we don't get bottled water, thinking that maybe whatever ship we're on might be different, but by the second or third day, the ankles swell, and we end up buying bottled water.

Nothing in life works for everyone. There is one other thing added to ship's water that you might not encounter in shoreside life, and one other peculiarity. Distilled water is somewhat acidic, so this Ph level may be aggravating the water retention. Ships add calcium carbonate (think Tums) to neutralize this acidity to slow down corrosion of piping. This is what many cruisers think is the "something added for taste". Has nothing to do with taste, but with maintenance of the ship. Another characteristic of distilled water is that due to its acidity, it wants to absorb minerals from whatever it is contained in. That could be you, as well as the pipes. Drinking distilled water for long periods that has not been neutralized with carbonate can lead to poor teeth and bone density loss. This leaching of minerals could also explain some of the water retention, as mineral imbalances will cause water to "osmote" across cells differently.

As much as you two have cruised, I'm sure you've tried all the remedies, but two that I know work for many, and are doctor recommended are:

1. Standing in the pool (the difference in water pressure at your feet and at your chest will help push water from ankles to other less obvious and painful places.

2. Sleep with feet elevated. Put your lifejacket under the foot of the mattress.

Good cruising, Bob.

And, Bob;

There are literally hundreds of water dispensers and ice makers onboard, and the charcoal filters need to be changed every 6 months. This can take a couple of repairmen a few days twice a month, to get through them all in 6 months. And they are supposed to label the date renewed on it, so USPH can verify the current status. Unfortunately, I can't vouch for all the ships that all the filters have been renewed in a timely fashion.

Edited by chengkp75

Nothing in life works for everyone. There is one other thing added to ship's water that you might not encounter in shoreside life, and one other peculiarity. Distilled water is somewhat acidic, so this Ph level may be aggravating the water retention. Ships add calcium carbonate (think Tums) to neutralize this acidity to slow down corrosion of piping. This is what many cruisers think is the "something added for taste". Has nothing to do with taste, but with maintenance of the ship. Another characteristic of distilled water is that due to its acidity, it wants to absorb minerals from whatever it is contained in. That could be you, as well as the pipes. Drinking distilled water for long periods that has not been neutralized with carbonate can lead to poor teeth and bone density loss. This leaching of minerals could also explain some of the water retention, as mineral imbalances will cause water to "osmote" across cells differently.

As much as you two have cruised, I'm sure you've tried all the remedies, but two that I know work for many, and are doctor recommended are:

1. Standing in the pool (the difference in water pressure at your feet and at your chest will help push water from ankles to other less obvious and painful places.

2. Sleep with feet elevated. Put your lifejacket under the foot of the mattress.

Good cruising, Bob.

Thanks again. If we ever run into you on a cruise, I owe you a bunch of drinks for all the interesting info you have given over the years.:)