Big changes coming

redshine

We have taken O tours they are not that poor but many find you are poorer after booking them ;)

The prices for O tours has increased 2-3 times in prices compared to 5 yrs ago

If that is case with the new excursions deal I may just have to find a cruise line that works for us like O has done in the past :(

Lyn

Really if it cost 300$ more than before and you get 5 shore trips that's a good deal looking at the price O charges for them.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

Really if it cost 300$ more than before and you get 5 shore trips that's a good deal looking at the price O charges for them.

We rarely take ship's tours so why should I be forced to pay for them or have to be on a bus with 40 others

it is the principle of it for me

Just like we do not sail Regent as we do not want to pay extra for the included drinks & excursion that we would never use

I know there are lots of things on the cruise lines we pay for but not use but this is just OTT for us

YMMV

Not all sailings get 5 free excursions some get less

I suspect not ALL excursions will be included in the free choices

Edited by LHT28

Most if not all Canadian airport codes start with "Y"

Not sure on the why of it but that is how it is ;)

You want a history lesson....

These codes predate the formation of ICAO (UN organization that regulates airlines and air traffic) and IATA which is the Transport Association.

The codes come from the US Weather Service in the early days of aviation. Canada used a 2 digit designator and was assigned the Y and Z series to cut duplication and confusion (US needed 3 digits).

Quoting from the Canadian IFR Guide

"Although the naming of Canadian airports and weather stations can seem confusing, here is a brief explanation. Originally, in the 1930's, Canada used two letters for identification of a weather reporting station. Additionally, preceding the 2-letter code, was placed a Y (meaning "yes") where the reporting station was co-located with an airport, a W (meaning "without") where the reporting station was not co-located with an airport, and a U where the reporting station was co-located with an NDB. An X was used if the last two letters of the code had already been taken by another Canadian ident, and a Z was used if the locator could be confused with a U.S. three letter ident.

There are still a few Z's around - but most airports have Y codes.

Good question for TRIVIA,,,,

Sent from my SM-T320 using Forums mobile app

$300.00 for 5 excursions, that's $60.00 each. The tour of the bridge charges more than that.

Yes but in the FINAL SALE -- they offered also $500 OBC.. So that plus $300 pp means you are paying for these 5 "free excursions." cost $110 per person (normal price)

Gain you got to love these marketeers -- smoke and mirrors.

Edited by PaulMCO

All guests who book a Veranda Stateroom or above on any 2016 Europe, Alaska or Canada/New England cruise now through September 30, 2015 will receive the following amenities:

•FREE Shore Excursions based on length of sailing (excluding Choice, Exclusive & Executive Collection excursions) ◦Sailings of up to 9 days = 3 FREE Shore Excursions

◦Sailings of 10 to 13 days = 4 FREE Shore Excursions

◦Sailings of 14+ days = 5 FREE Shore Excursions

•FREE Unlimited Internet (one per stateroom)

•FREE Pre-Paid Gratuities

My cruise jumped $600 per person (PH3 category). It's a 17 day cruise and they are offering 7 free shore excursions. I'm not really sure if I should make the change to this promotion from what I currently have.

Edited by JVNYC

Just got this this morning. I wonder if they will raise the prices for these new incentives? What happens to the people that have already booked?

OCEANIA CRUISES ANNOUNCES NEW ‘OLIFE ADVANTAGE’ EARLY BOOKING INITIATIVE

Early Booking Incentives Include Free Shore Excursions, Unlimited Internet and Pre-Paid Gratuities

MIAMI, Fla. (July 2, 2015) – Since its inception Oceania Cruises has rewarded guests who book early with the best possible fares, and today the line introduced a new innovative program called the OLife Advantage, which provides extraordinary additional incentives for guests looking to book their 2016 spring, summer or fall cruise vacations early.

Marketing must think customers are stupid or can't subtract. Probably that over time it will be the only price visible so no way to tell.

My cruise went up $400 and if I rebooked with OLife I would get 4 ShoreEx, I had all the rest. So much for "best possible fares".

Their ShoreEx are usually over $100 so maybe it's an ok deal ... if I wanted their ShoreEx ... probably break-even or worse :(

This is just a way to force more business to the ShoreEx department that must be not be profitable enough. Something I read here constantly is "do not book O ShoreEx as they are too expensive". No need for that warning anymore.

If your paying more and you don't want the "FREE extras"? Then your paying more for things you don't want or need. It may be time to shop around and get what your really pay for, not what you get in a package you didn't want in the first place.

Rick

My cruise jumped $600 per person (PH3 category). It's a 17 day cruise and they are offering 7 free shore excursions. I'm not really sure if I should make the change to this promotion from what I currently have.

Our cruise jumped $600/person also. We have $150 OBC and paid gratuity so I am thinking I can use the $1200 it would add to the price, in other ways. So I just kept it as it was.

Our cruise jumped $600/person also. We have $150 OBC and paid gratuity so I am thinking I can use the $1200 it would add to the price, in other ways. So I just kept it as it was.

Now I am re-thinking my own comment. We are on a 22 day cruise next August on the Marina and to pay $1200 for 8 shore excursions and free internet might be worth re-thinking?!?!

Yes but in the FINAL SALE -- they offered also $500 OBC.. So that plus $300 pp means you are paying for these 5 "free excursions." cost $110 per person (normal price)

Gain you got to love these marketeers -- smoke and mirrors.

Think I understand your logic Paul but, not the numbers. You lose the $500 then pay an additionl $300 so you are actually paying $800 and for 5 "included" excursions that would be $160 each. Can't figure your $110 each. Do I understand correctly or is there something that makes it $110 each??

Guess you shouldn't ask for the new benefit.

If your TA is already offering you pre-paid gratuities and Oceania is now offering it with this current promotion, would Oceania possibly offer some OBC in place of that amenity since you already have it?

Is that even worth asking?? Wondering if anyone has had a similar situation.

Thanks.

Think I understand your logic Paul but, not the numbers. You lose the $500 then pay an additionl $300 so you are actually paying $800 and for 5 "included" excursions that would be $160 each. Can't figure your $110 each. Do I understand correctly or is there something that makes it $110 each??

Guess you shouldn't ask for the new benefit.

The increase is $300 per person. So it is $500 + 600... Cost is 550 pp for 5 excursions.

If your TA is already offering you pre-paid gratuities and Oceania is now offering it with this current promotion, would Oceania possibly offer some OBC in place of that amenity since you already have it?

Thanks.

I'm in a similar position, for Sirena 2016. On a 'test pricing' for a similar cabin, I read that the Obonus offer shows 900.PP. I'm doing the math:confused: Sending my TA a message.

I don't think O would switch your PPG because your TA gave you some. It is more likely your TA could switch to OBC...

A conundrum:o

Thanks.

Yes - O will give you OBC in lieu of your PPG. The amount depends on your status.

If Silver before 12/31/2013 (I think) you will get full amount of PPG as OBC; if not, it will be $250 or $300 depending on length of your cruise.

Edited by Paulchili

Yes - O will give you OBC in lieu of your PPG. The amount depends on your status.

If Silver before 12/31/2013 (I think) you will get full amount of PPG as OBC; if not, it will be $250 or $300 depending on length of your cruise.

Good to know. Thanks

Good to know. Thanks

I've a situation where we had 3 PPGs - first went to gratuities themselves, 2nd was given as OBC in full amount and third (YWO offer) as a $300 OBC.

Edited by Paulchili

As some one who spent 40 years in finance working with high net worth individuals, not all people of means are willing to spend on opulence. Most of them would not be caught dead talking about their wealth or assuming what others can and cannot afford. We have friends who can easily cruise on any line at any time for any amount of money. Sometimes they cruise Regent, Oceania or Crystal and sometimes they might be on HAL or Princess or RCCL. They never take what they can afford - they take what will meet their needs.

It's quite crass to assume that people can't afford Regent or First/Business Class Air. And it's really rude to typecast fellow passengers in that light. Some travelers have different priorities and to pigeon hole them by your standards is just wrong.

One of my best cruises ever was the lowest outside cabin on a Royal Caribbean itinerary. I had adjoining cabins with my granddaughters - then age 7 or 8. They are 18 now. It was what available and I jumped to go with the girls. They got to go to a "Foreign Country" and dress up for dinner. I got their hair braided in the Bo Derek style by a street vendor. They still talk about that cruise as if it were a highlight of their lives. To share the experience was the highlight and priority.

Well put Cathy !!

Thanks.

I have the question in to my TA. Just received an email from her and she is working to see what Oceania will or will not do. I added up just the basic excursions that we might take and it was $1000+ so I think for us it makes since to do the offer. We are on the 22 day sailing from London to Copenhagen. A lot to see and they actually seem to have a lot of excursions that are not OC or OE. Will let you know what I find out.

I have the question in to my TA. Just received an email from her and she is working to see what Oceania will or will not do. I added up just the basic excursions that we might take and it was $1000+ so I think for us it makes since to do the offer. We are on the 22 day sailing from London to Copenhagen. A lot to see and they actually seem to have a lot of excursions that are not OC or OE. Will let you know what I find out.

Thanks beaniele! I look forward to hearing how you make out. I'm going to inquire as well.

Thanks Paulchili. I'm not silver, just bronze. Hopefully they will still offer something.

Question that comes to mind is what are the "free" excursions?

I am on Regatta now and the new "news" doesn't yet seem to have all the answers.

As someone said today if they are offering "walking tours of Hoonah"

(Funny example) it wouldn't be great. But of course you had to see Hoonah to understand that. 😄

So, I guess what I am saying is show me the excursions first.

Twirling my pearls on Regatta😉

We also took the offer for our cruise on Sirena in a PH May 11, 2016. It is either a wash or convenience and to me it was worth it. We were pre booked and my TA did the numbers and it was our choice. Looking forward to our cruise, as usual.

The increase is $300 per person. So it is $500 + 600... Cost is 550 pp for 5 excursions.

Thanks for the details Paul. Forgot it was for 2 people. Even with an average of $110 per person per excursion depending on the included excursions, still might be a bit high and for excursions which might be done better and less costly as private excursions.

Sometimes if things look too good to be true, they aren't true??