Beware of Viking Cruise Lines - More Than Disappointed

robert lockwood

[since I can't edit it unless each poster asks me to change the dreaded C word to "big box"].

Go right ahead and edit.

It never crossed my mind that they would come under the TA rule :)

IMHO

This is another example of Viking (priced like sebourn and Oceania) acting like carnival.

Travelers who appreciate fist class service will remember when it is time to book the next cruise.

Viking is priced higher than Carnival, Princess or HAL because it includes excursions most if not all days and also includes alcohol and soda with meals. It also goes to many ports that regular cruise ships can not go to. Last time I checked, Carnival, Princess and HAL did not include these items or go to many of these places. You are also paying for a smaller ship experience.

One really can not compare the prices of river cruises to cruise ships (like Carnival). It is like apples and oranges. It is best to compare prices of river cruise lines to each other and compare these different amenities to each other. For example, Tauck provides more amenities than Viking does and due to this, Tauck is priced higher than Viking. To compare Viking to Carnival doesn't make sense - it is an entirely different product.

I sometimes use a very experienced TA. I asked him about a river cruise since we never took one. He really pushed me away from Viking saying their customer service is very poor. Some of this came from the high water issues of the last few years and how they handled it but it was an overall statement. He does service a "luxury" segment so I take some of what he says with a grain of salt.

What do you all think, is the OPs problem an example of an overall problem with Viking customer service? We are still planning on a river cruise and want to decide if we should even look at Viking.

(If this should be a new thread I will do that instead.)

Edited by jmps

What do you all think, is the OPs problem an example of an overall problem with Viking customer service? We are still planning on a river cruise and want to decide if we should even look at Viking.

Viking have their fair share of under-trained phone staff, mix that in with a "big box" TA and you have a recipe for something to go wrong.

We had nothing but great customer service on our China tour with Viking, including a few pre-tour interactions with the CS team.

We are now booked on a trip to Vietnam and Cambodia with them and again the CS interactions have been great.

We have not had to deal with the air deviation side of things though as we always book our own air.

I'd say make sure you deal through a real TA who deals with them a lot if you decide to go ahead.

We are still planning on a river cruise and want to decide if we should even look at Viking.

I would recommend working with an agent who has actually gone on a river cruise. Maybe more than one line so that they can compare lines and can recommend what would be best for you. Maybe your agent does have this experience, maybe he is basing it on other people's opinions. I would find out if their experience is actual experience.

I still think something is missing here. Usually if something doesn't make sense, then you don't have all the facts. If everything happened as described then I can't help but believe that Viking's actions are illegal. They may have their doubters, but the fact is that they own more than 50% of the river cruise market, so they HAVE to be doing something right! We have only been on one river cruise, on Avalon, 3 years ago. We have a Viking cruise scheduled for December. I have to say that all these conversations make me a bit nervous. However, I have learned as I have become older and apparently wiser that it is best to reserve judgement and to take what others say with a grain of salt. (Does that make me wiser or cynical?) I guess I will find out in December!

I still think something is missing here. Usually if something doesn't make sense, then you don't have all the facts.

.... However, I have learned as I have become older and apparently wiser that it is best to reserve judgement and to take what others say with a grain of salt. (Does that make me wiser or cynical?) I guess I will find out in December!

Wisdom like this is why you are the Queen of Everything. I'll go out on a limb and predict your Christmas cruise will be spectacular,

Frank

I sometimes use a very experienced TA. I asked him about a river cruise since we never took one. He really pushed me away from Viking saying their customer service is very poor. Some of this came from the high water issues of the last few years and how they handled it but it was an overall statement. He does service a "luxury" segment so I take some of what he says with a grain of salt.

(If this should be a new thread I will do that instead.)

We did a Viking cruise last year using a Chicago area TA that specializes in cruises. All their agents seem very knowledgeable about different cruise lines and have cruised exrensively. We loved the cruise. Our flights, booked through Viking, were great. We had 1 issue regarding our OBC that our TA resolved with Viking as soon as we returned. I know I can't name the company but I see you are from the Chicago area; they are international, if that helps.

If you mean me, here in NY we have so little left to root for in the sports world that the USWNT is a big deal. They could probably beat our Cosmos!

Y'all need to bring Shep, Franz, Giorgio and Edson out of retirement. OK it will be tough to get Giorgio back on the field. :rolleyes:

I still think something is missing here. Usually if something doesn't make sense, then you don't have all the facts. If everything happened as described then I can't help but believe that Viking's actions are illegal. They may have their doubters, but the fact is that they own more than 50% of the river cruise market, so they HAVE to be doing something right! We have only been on one river cruise, on Avalon, 3 years ago. We have a Viking cruise scheduled for December. I have to say that all these conversations make me a bit nervous. However, I have learned as I have become older and apparently wiser that it is best to reserve judgement and to take what others say with a grain of salt. (Does that make me wiser or cynical?) I guess I will find out in December!

Good Morning QueenofEverything,

Catchy. Anyways see where you are a fellow Houstonian. Lisa and I are from Sugar Land.

Anyways see where you like us are getting ready to do a European River Cruise.

We are traveling with Scenic on The Opal and are in a Royal Panorama Suite and are set to sail September 2,2015 from Amsterdam to Budapest.

Is there anything that you may suggest for a first time river Newbie. We are celebrating our 27th Wedding Anniversary while on our cruise and hoping that my Blushing Bride of All these years shall have a Wonderful time.

Looks to be that you have been cruising for quite some time. Myself have been at it since I was Knee High To a Grass Hopper ,but mainly on P&O and Cunard. Lived In Australia and more so the reason for these lines along with Carnival out of Galveston.

Anyways just wanted to say Howdy.

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

LOL . . . Edson Arantes do Nascimento is Pele . . . Made life easier on the announcers and jersey customizes.

He probably didn't want to be known as Eddy Pele!!! And we all know that's what he would have been called. :D

Good Morning QueenofEverything,

Catchy. Anyways see where you are a fellow Houstonian. Lisa and I are from Sugar Land.

Anyways see where you like us are getting ready to do a European River Cruise.

We are traveling with Scenic on The Opal and are in a Royal Panorama Suite and are set to sail September 2,2015 from Amsterdam to Budapest.

Is there anything that you may suggest for a first time river Newbie. We are celebrating our 27th Wedding Anniversary while on our cruise and hoping that my Blushing Bride of All these years shall have a Wonderful time.

Looks to be that you have been cruising for quite some time. Myself have been at it since I was Knee High To a Grass Hopper ,but mainly on P&O and Cunard. Lived In Australia and more so the reason for these lines along with Carnival out of Galveston.

Anyways just wanted to say Howdy.

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Howdy to you too! You will absolutely love river cruising! Other than being on water, there's not much similarity in river cruising and ocean cruising. The biggest difference is the number of passengers.. Don't know much about Scenic, but most ships carry between 140 and 190 passengers, a bit different than 2000-5000 on ocean ships. It is much quieter and laid back. (no dress up dinners) Be sure you have something to entertain yourself during the down times (books, pc, cards, etc) because there isn't much entertainment. Since you are off the ship alot, you don't really need much. Dinner is very nice, one sitting but open seating. Fewer menu choices than ocean cruising, but you should not have a hard time finding something delicious. Embarkation is a breeze, 5 minutes tops. (The captain carried our luggage on our first cruise!!) The bridge is open, so you can wander in and visit. Much more of a cultural experience. Most of the tours are walking tours and they will really give you alot of information about the cities and towns you visit. They give you wireless receivers with headphones so you can hear the guide and not have to be right under their noses. Really great for those of us that like to wander off a bit to take pictures!

My favorite thing was how well you can get to know the crew and other passengers and they you. Since it is a much smaller setting, it enables you to get to know each other. The cabins are very nice, but small. Bathrooms are better than most ocean cruises.

I hope you have a WONDERFUL time! I would think September will be just beautiful. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm no expert, but if I can't answer it, I am sure someone on these boards can.

P.S. Go Astros!!

Good Afternoon QueenofEverything,

We like most were originally booked on Viking in an Explorer Suite but when we saw all the Perks that we are getting and being $10,000 cheaper plus didn't have to pay 16 months ahead of time well for us just a No Brainer. We have three days in Amsterdam prior to our cruise. Staying at the Toren Hotel and three days in Budapest post after our cruise and staying at the Four Seasons Gresham Palace. Oh if you get time go onto your computer and look at a Website scenic.com.au

Over on the left hand side All Inclusive go down to our 5 Star Ships and open.

On that page where it says All Inclusive Luxury there is a lady standing in front of the Scenic Jasper and is a 4 minute video of Scenic's ships but more so the cabin they are using is our Cabin. Royal Panorama Suite. I think we are like you said going to have fun as with a boat load of Australian can't help be fun.

Any pointers you may recommend?

Like you said lots of walking.

Sorry not big into sports. Someone has to win and someone has to loose. All overpaid..

I am retired from Continental airlines and Lisa is a Neo Nurse Practitioner at Texas Children's Hospital downtown.

She is 60 and me I'm 64.

Looking forward to showing all some True Texas Hospitality..

Yippee.

Wow! That is some cabin! You will be cruising in the lap of luxury!! Your hotels look lovely also. We have not been to Budapest, but you will love Amsterdam. Your hotel location is perfect. Be sure to try some stroopwafels, sort of thin waffle looking crunchy cookies with caramel in the middle. We found them by accident and yum! Also, a couple of blocks north of the Anne Frank house is a great restaurant called the Pancake Bakery. Dutch pancakes are more like big flat crepes, both savory and sweet. It was so good we went there twice! It is just a little place and inexpensive, but delicious. http://www.pancake.nl/en/

If you are in the mood to get up REALLY early, go the the flower auction at Aalsmeer. They bring in flowers from all over europe and auction them. It is facinating, you look from above as racks and racks of fresh flowers are moved here and there at such speeds, you have to be quick to take pictures. It is a huge warehouse and pictures just don't do it justice. Smells amazing also. It opens at 7 and is totally done by 11 am. The earlier you get there the more you will see. https://www.floraholland.com/en/about-floraholland/visit-the-flower-auction/aalsmeer/ It is actually a pretty good thing to do your first day because you likely will be up really early due to the time change.

I agree that a ship full of Aussies should be a hoot!

I miss Continental, such a great airline. Sorry to say this, but United can't hold a candle.

Have an amazing trip!