What to Wear

Sailing on AOS, departing from SJU on September 19. Trying to lighten our pack. Looking for input from recent AOS cruisers on what men and women were wearing on formal and semi-formal nights. We know what RCCL lists as recommended but we are interested in what majority of cruisers actually wore.

In most cases now, men on formal nights will wear a sport jacket, or suit coat, & tie. Ladies will wear either cocktail dress or black slacks and a fancy top. While others come less formal and are dressed in nice slacks for the lady and pants and shirt for the Men. Formal night is not as formal as it used to be. As long as you are nicely dressed for dinner, you will be fine. Shorts are only allowed in the dining room during breakfast & lunch although some have arrived in shorts for evening dinner. Last year sailing from Sydney Australia we saw many ladies in short capies for dinner and men in cargo shorts, Most relaxed cruise we had ever been on.

I'm curious about this too. Being a southern departure port I'm wondering if the local cruisers are more relaxed in island attire and if this brings the level of "formal" down a notch or two. I like to dress up and have always packed fancy dresses and shoes for formal night, but to be honest, I really just don't want to this time. I will do it anyway, especially because my daughter really enjoys it, but I'm wondering if the atmosphere leaving from San Juan makes it different than the typical Cruise.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

In most cases now, men on formal nights will wear a sport jacket, or suit coat, & tie. Ladies will wear either cocktail dress or black slacks and a fancy top. While others come less formal and are dressed in nice slacks for the lady and pants and shirt for the Men. Formal night is not as formal as it used to be. As long as you are nicely dressed for dinner, you will be fine. Shorts are only allowed in the dining room during breakfast & lunch although some have arrived in shorts for evening dinner. Last year sailing from Sydney Australia we saw many ladies in short capies for dinner and men in cargo shorts, Most relaxed cruise we had ever been on.

We have been on 30 cruises and counting. Have always traveled with formal wear & sport coat for myself, and fancy dresses for my wife. To be honest, getting tired of dragging this stuff around and the packing hassle. Traveling this time with a few other couples that are new to cruising...they would be more comfortable without having to think of formal and semi-formal nights. All in our party are smart enough to know that super casual, I.e., shorts, t's, flip flops, etc,etc are definite no no for MDR.

We long longer go "fancy". Me, nice tops with a nice pair of pants. Hubby nice shirt, not a golf shirt but button down, short leaved and a nice pair of dockers. We see a lot dressed similar. You will see some going all out and some more casual.

It's hard to say about the majority. Some cruises have more dressed up others not so much. You definitely won't stick out as a sore thumb. All the cruises I've been all have various dress at dinner and I never feel out of place going on the more casual side.

Edited by brenderlou

When we were on AOS in Feb there was a wide variety on both the formal and the smart casual nights. Men wore anywhere from Tuxedos to Polos and the women wore anything from full length gowns to dressy pant suits.

We were involved in a discussion in the CL about the dress codes. The men that wore suites/tux's like dressing up and don't have the opportunity in their day to day life, the men who wore slacks and polo are tired of wearing a suit everyday!! The woman, for the most part, took their lead from their husbands.

I know this doesn't help but.... it is what it is. They won't let you in wearing shorts, tanks, flip flops etc. But unless you are wearing a clown outfit or a formal gown with a long train, chances are no one will be pointing at you or commenting behind your back.

I'm curious about this too. Being a southern departure port I'm wondering if the local cruisers are more relaxed in island attire and if this brings the level of "formal" down a notch or two. I like to dress up and have always packed fancy dresses and shoes for formal night, but to be honest, I really just don't want to this time. I will do it anyway, especially because my daughter really enjoys it, but I'm wondering if the atmosphere leaving from San Juan makes it different than the typical Cruise.

It's been our experience that the local cruisers from San Juan dress up much more than we do on the mainland! They are fun, party people and they dress in fancy attire like they are going to a wedding or prom or similar affair on formal nights. Colorful gowns and party dresses.

I've never been turned away from the MDR wearing shorts for breakfast or lunch.
That's because shorts are allowed at breakfast and lunch. Just not at dinner.

I've seen men turned away from the MDR at all times for wearing sleeveless or tank tops.

cruisingsouthing, during our NZ cruise last year, one gentleman it seemed, wore the same pair of shorts all day long and we saw him a few times walking into the dining room for dinner. One of those evening after he walked over to his table, he walked back out after a few minutes, so probably was telling his table he wasn't dining that evening. I have suggested to my DH to take only one coat but 2 or 3 pants rather then cram two coats in his larger garment bag but he wants the two. Oh well. LOL Myself I am really cutting back on my ladies slacks to 4 maybe 5 for a 14 day cruise.

! The women, for the most part, took their lead from their husbands.

Really....the other way round I would have thought.........she likes to dress up smart and I couldn't care less.

I therefore have to comply......isn't that the norm?

Just off lovely week on AOS. We decided to pack in carry on luggage this trip and it worked fine. DH wore long sleeve shirt and nice slacks on formal night and was not out of place. We saw every level of dress from formal to casual on the ship. I wore a black dress with fun jewelry which worked great. Have a great time - we certainly did.

It's been our experience that the local cruisers from San Juan dress up much more than we do on the mainland! They are fun, party people and they dress in fancy attire like they are going to a wedding or prom or similar affair on formal nights. Colorful gowns and party dresses.

Agree.

I'll agree with most other posts...formal dress now varies. For men, I'll still see quite a few tuxes and suits, there also seems to be at least one gentleman wearing a formal kilt outfit (I should probably know what that's called being of Scotch heritage :o), and the occasional formal military dress outfit. There are just as many, if not more, men wearing a nice shirt and nice pants. I only wear a suit now for weddings and funerals and our family uses this as an opportunity to get dressed up and have some formal family pictures taken. I still enjoy wearing a tux a couple of times on the cruise, although I can see how that could get old after a while.

If you don't want to bring a lot of luggage docker style slacks and a polo shirt are fine for men all nights and for women you will never go wrong with a cocktail dress or maxi style. Again, fine for all nights. The thought of dressing full formal in the summer on southern itinerary makes me sweat...