Would someone explain to me about buying Carnival Shares and the benefits

Jean1946

WOW! thanks to all for the great information. Will have hubby get right on this tomorrow. If we both have 100 shares do we each get the $250 OBC?

We have a 7 day in September and a 38 day in March, so this will come in right handy!

Information for OBC must be sent to World Cruise Reservations in Seattle. I send it by fax, and they usually get back to me (by email) with confirmation on the same day.

Our stock is in both our names, and I have used it when I have sailed without my husband.

Are you doing the 38 day from Sydney to Vancouver?

We are currently looking at doing it. Sounds wonderful. Just waiting for our cruise in July to book it.

Pretty basic stuff for us North of the border. room in an R.S.P. solves all the issues ;)

and now, back to our regularly scheduled programme :)

I agree, pretty basic, but you'd be surprised how many queries I've seen. Many of those who had a fairly good general grasp have a murkier understanding of related US and Canadian legislation when contemplating TFSAs.

Can anyone confirm whether or not the OBC due shareholders is combinable with other types of OBC?

Thanks.

Yes it is combinable with any other OBC you receive..

I'm not sure if this covers every single type of account, but our regular non-retirement account, my retirement accounts, and my lovely & talented wife's retirement accounts are all jointly held. If one of us croaks, the account passes to the surviving spouse unencumbered. The designation makes the account a non-probate asset.

Thanks for this info, I have POA over my DH's retirement account but did not know that it could be held jointly.. DH does not have POA over my retirement account which is being held in the same brokerage house as our joint accounts.. Will call our broker this week & find out how to put his name on mine so if I go first it will not go into probate..

Will call our broker this week & find out how to put his name on mine so if I go first it will not go into probate..

Normally, your retirement accounts have beneficiary designations which would keep them out of probate regardless. You simply have to make sure that you keep your forms up to date.

Our retirement accounts might be a little different. They're not typical 401K or IRA accounts. Those are individually owned and covered by the beneficiary designations.

Edited by POA1

I'm not sure if this covers every single type of account, but our regular non-retirement account, my retirement accounts, and my lovely & talented wife's retirement accounts are all jointly held. If one of us croaks, the account passes to the surviving spouse unencumbered. The designation makes the account a non-probate asset.

thanks - interesting. Same here ad far as non-probatable asset except our Registered Accounts are in one name, but with the spouse as beneficiary which is done within the Registerd vehicle so non taxable as well.

Only if you sometimes don't cruise together. Since I sometimes cruise without DH, I have the shares in my Roth IRA. He's never been on a cruise without me (except as a child), so we didn't see any sense having any in his name.

But if the account is joint and both names are on the statement, it does not matter if 1 share holder cruises alone so no need to each buy shares.

Information for OBC must be sent to World Cruise Reservations in Seattle. I send it by fax, and they usually get back to me (by email) with confirmation on the same day.

Our stock is in both our names, and I have used it when I have sailed without my husband.

Are you doing the 38 day from Sydney to Vancouver?

We are currently looking at doing it. Sounds wonderful. Just waiting for our cruise in July to book it.

WE are doing that one. We are doing a Boston to Montreal in September and we will definitely book something while we're on the ship. But, we have already booked the 38 day one.

Shares will definitely be in both our names, as is everything we have.

Thanks for all the information and advice. Just got my updated Booking Confirmation by email, showing the new OBC.

Just a data point for future readers: I just faxed a copy of my brokerage Transaction Confirmation to HA, along with the details of my journey. They very quickly applied the credit and emailed me the updated Booking Confirmation. No need to wait for a monthly/quarterly statement from the brokerage house.

I screwed up and never bought it. Now I'm waiting for it go <$35 share. I have a while to wait. ;)

While you're waiting, you won't be getting OBC based on being a stockholder. That could wipe out the savings if/when the price does drop.

I screwed up and never bought it. Now I'm waiting for it go <$35 share. I have a while to wait. ;)

You have a point. The share price is quite high right now. However, since I have two 14-day cruises already booked, that is an immediate $500 discount. The stock would have to go down by 10% to do that, which is entirely possible. I figure that life is a bit of a gamble, and decided to have a little fun with this....:) For some people, that risk might not be a good one, which I respect.

While you're waiting, you won't be getting OBC based on being a stockholder. That could wipe out the savings if/when the price does drop.

Each person is different. We cruise once a year, if that, and only 7-11 day cruises. So the OBC would take a few years to make up and I fear the credit will end when Carboval next reorganizes.

It doesn't fit well into our portfolio, strategically, either. I could sell some shares within a Roth I guess it'd screw up my asset allocation. :)

Each person is different. We cruise once a year, if that, and only 7-11 day cruises. So the OBC would take a few years to make up and I fear the credit will end when Carboval next reorganizes.

It doesn't fit well into our portfolio, strategically, either. I could sell some shares within a Roth I guess it'd screw up my asset allocation. :)

In your situation, I can see your point of not going for the credit. The stock has run up quite a bit over the past couple of years and now the dividend is only around 2% (it was 3% fairly recently - when the stock price was around $33). Of course, you have the potential for further price appreciation and I do like this sector given the aging population.