How close to sailing have you seen price drops?

ExpatBride

I've got my eye on a next Tuesday sailing embarking close to home. DH says if the price drops again in the next week we can go.

It appears that there are cabins available in all categories... inside, oceanview, balcony & suites.

I've got my eye on a next Tuesday sailing embarking close to home. DH says if the price drops again in the next week we can go.

It appears that there are cabins available in all categories... inside, oceanview, balcony & suites.

Pack your bags :)

I booked a cruise the night before it sailed when the price drop in Half. :D

Also Booked Boston to Quebec the week of sailing when my NCL guy called .

He said Book an inside GTY and get a midship balcony . $199 p.p. :eek:

We enjoyed the view. :D

Get a good PCC and check the cruise line web site all the time. ;)

Good Luck

Good Luck

Wow a day before, that's something. The most last minute I booked was 4 days before sailing. I will be doing another last minute in August on NCL Gem from NY. I may just wait 2 days before sailing to get the most cheapest rate. You don't think there will be a difference in price the day before sailing or two days before do you?

\You don't think there will be a difference in price the day before sailing or two days before do you?

Depends, it's yield management. A sold cabin means revenue and spending extra versus unsold no revenue and no extra onboard spending so depending on the system that controls the prices versus the absolute low price/set threshold.

Wow a day before, that's something. The most last minute I booked was 4 days before sailing. I will be doing another last minute in August on NCL Gem from NY. I may just wait 2 days before sailing to get the most cheapest rate. You don't think there will be a difference in price the day before sailing or two days before do you?

If they don't just drop off the boards and sell out right in front of you .

I have watch a drop in the last few day , called to book only to find it sold out, Gone , just like that. stay home and mow the grass . :(

It can be deceiving. You may see multiple gty categories open for sale with only one cabin available .

Edited by biker@sea

I've done laundry and organized a cat sitter 'just in case' :p

Do you start a mock booking on the cruise line web site?

Cover price may not be the best deal.

Some times prices are cheaper 1/2 way through. ;)

For sailing out of U.S. ports - NCL prices lately has been holding & actually rising (mostly, not always) as it get closer to the sailing dates ... it's the high & busy summer/vacation time for families w. kids, and, it's been hurricane free, mostly (knock on woods) ... up till maybe the 4, 3 or even 2 days window before sailing.

Thus, it's one advantage to those that are very "close" to homeports & can leave on short notice ... much like nephews that worked for major air carriers & can sometimes go standby or fly on short notice while off duties for a quick getaway (but, risk not getting back)

Have your bags packed & passports, etc. ready and keep checking - those are aren't retired and not self-employed & need to get "approved" from employers for vacation time usually cannot do this (or, take the chance & stay home ... or have a plan B and plan C (fly or drive, etc.)

OP is within that 72 hours window now - keep checking :D Good luck !

*** Footnote/edit: "google" that c r u i s e f i s h (one word) site as a great resource to track historical pricing & trends, etc.

Edited by mking8288

Everyone's experience is different. I've often found (and booked) the lowest prices at around 12 - 14 days before the cruise. After that point prices might actually rise slightly as the last few cabins are sold. But I haven't followed an example down to the last 2 - 3 days (cuz I was too busy packing!). :-)

Naturally, your mileage may vary.

Good Luck

I would love to know this NCL guy, the one I booked with is no longer there and I don't have one. Can I send you a SASE to get the info? :)

OP in my (limited) experience the two cruises I booked never went down in price, they kept going up then plateaued higher then the price I paid. I guess it depends on when you are going too.

Good Luck, I hope you get a GREAT deal!! :D

It all depends on WHEN and WHERE you're cruising out of.

Out of NYC you can get the best last minute deals for October-November sailings in our experience. Closest we've booked is 4 days in advance but obviously other posters have done even better. At all other times it's a crap shoot;

January-March if weather is REALLY bad in NE USA the cruise will fill up fast because people will be sick of winter weather & want to get away to warmer climes. On the other hand if winter is mild you can get some good last minute deals. These can extend into early March.

March-April you have Spring Breakers & Easter to contend with so not too many last minute deals here.

May-mid June you can cop a good last minute deal to Bahamas and Bermuda.

Starting in mid-June through early September it's summer & family vacation time so no last minute deals out of NYC.

September-October New England sailings sell out pretty fast but there are last minute deals available.

I have heard from retiree friends that the Miami-based cruises almost always have some last minute cabins available so if you can get there easily you can score a great deal there.

Good luck to you!

Tom

So true about Miami last minute deals. Friends just got back from a 7 day cruise that cost more in tax/port charges than the actual cruise. Just getting people on the ship is better for the cruise lines than an empty cabin.

We've taken advantage of our locality several times but you need to have the time to hunt or subscribe to a myriad of websites that specialize in drop everything and cruise specials. Loving this retirement! :D