Travel + Leisure best cruise line rankings

OceanPrince

We are not too surprised having cruised on all the rated lines. The cruise industry is very dynamic with constant changes impacting onboard life. Celebrity has been flying high as a great cruise line but in the past 2 years seems to have cut-back (like most cruise lines) in some key areas such as cuisine. Our most recent Princess cruise (Ruby) was an impressive voyage where we thought many things had actually improved on Princess. This seems to be reflected in the T&L ratings although all this rating stuff is so darn subjective.

One issue we do have with the ratings is Cunard (operated by Princess) which we think is often overrated when it comes to the normal passengers (not the one's in the grill suites).

Hank

One issue we do have with the ratings is Cunard (operated by Princess) which we think is often overrated when it comes to the normal passengers (not the one's in the grill suites).

Cunard is not operated by Princess.

It, like Princess, is a subsidiary of Carnival Corp (which also owns Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland-America, AIDA and others).

I'm a big fan of Princess and we've been elite for quite some time. IMO a they are definitely the best mass market line. They passed Holland America some time ago. I haven't been on X Solstice ships to compare. Princess offers a terrific product, they've really upped their game food and service wise. We love their ships and the slightly fun vibe on board.

We are primarily sailing Oceania nowadays but we took a two week Princess trip in May and they continue to impress me. I bought two sets of future Princess cruise credits and look forward to sailing them again.

Cunard is not operated by Princess.

It, like Princess, is a subsidiary of Carnival Corp (which also owns Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland-America, AIDA and others).

Back in the mid-2000s CCL put the management of Cunard under the Princess/P&O umbrella. It was rumored (not sure if its true) that CCL's top management was unhappy with the previous Cunard operational management. Some of the very loyal Cunard passengers we met on the Queen Mary 2 expressed frustration with the direction of their beloved line under Princess management. Personally, since we were never on Cunard when it was under prior management.

As one point when we applied for our Stockholder credit it was actually handled by the same person who did it for Princess. Not sure if they have totally split out day to day management as of today.

Hank

Back in the mid-2000s CCL put the management of Cunard under the Princess/P&O umbrella. It was rumored (not sure if its true) that CCL's top management was unhappy with the previous Cunard operational management. Some of the very loyal Cunard passengers we met on the Queen Mary 2 expressed frustration with the direction of their beloved line under Princess management. Personally, since we were never on Cunard when it was under prior management.

As one point when we applied for our Stockholder credit it was actually handled by the same person who did it for Princess. Not sure if they have totally split out day to day management as of today.

Hank

Correct Cunard is still overseen by Princess.

Correct Cunard is still overseen by Princess.

Although there is some corporate structure that covers them together, there are separate Presidents and management for the several brands in this group.

Basically, the top organization in the USA is called "Holland America Group" and has a CEO named Stein Kruse.

Stein Kruse has been Chief Executive Officer of the Holland America Group since December 2013. In this capacity, he has full operating responsibility of Holland America Line, Princess Cruises, Seabourn and Holland America Princess Alaska Tours.

The Group's executive leadership team includes:

Jan Swartz - President of Princess

Richard Meadows - President of Seaborn and Cunard North America

Orlando Ashford - President of Holland America

An Sherry AO - CEO of Carnival Australia

As far as Cunard outside of North America, David K. Dingle is Chairman of Carnival UK since October 2014. In this capacity, he has full operating responsibility for the UK-based brands P&O Cruises and Cunard.

I think that cruising is highly subjective. I've sailed Cunard (QM2) three times- and it is not better than Celebrity or Princess IMO. I'd give Cunard higher marks than Holland, but only because the ship has more activities. Food is about the same on Celebrity, Holland and Princess and was totally uninspired on Cunard- bland and service in the MDR on Cunard's main dining room sucked. Rude or totally incompetent waiters. It was BAD.

Now- as for Oceania- I've sailed that line and it was fine. I like the afternoon tea each day- a real highlight. Soft comfy deck chairs were nice. Food was very good. Having said that- no activities and small ships where you do feel motion. Great linens in the staterooms. So I can see why it's more of a "luxury" line, but not one I'm interested in doing because it lacks the "Wow" factor to me. For people who want to do quaint ports that the megaships can't visit- Oceania is a winner.

I must say that I was once a die-hard Celebrity fan, but I've sailed Princess in recent years and I'm starting to like it the best.

Hank

For awhile, Princess sent their employees over to Cunard ships to "improve" the experience. These included high positions such as Matrides, Captains, etc.... Some of them stayed with Cunard and never came back to Princess.

Cunard converted their computer system to Princess's. I know my TA told me at one time that her Princess Rep was also her Cunard Rep. I think their vacation planners answer both lines.

Now Princess falls under the Holland America group so not sure how the structure currently is.

For awhile, Princess sent their employees over to Cunard ships to "improve" the experience. These included high positions such as Matrides, Captains, etc.... Some of them stayed with Cunard and never came back to Princess.

Cunard converted their computer system to Princess's. I know my TA told me at one time that her Princess Rep was also her Cunard Rep. I think their vacation planners answer both lines.

Now Princess falls under the Holland America group so not sure how the structure currently is.

With the culinary issues onboard QM2 starting with its inaugural, Princess sent over Hotel manager Dirk Brand and MD Generoso Mazzone to straighten out the problems.

Yes Cunard and Princess continue to run very closely together.

With the culinary issues onboard QM2 starting with its inaugural, Princess sent over Hotel manager Dirk Brand and MD Generoso Mazzone to straighten out the problems.

Yes Cunard and Princess continue to run very closely together.

Captain Bernard Warner went over there also and became their Commodore eventually. He never came back to Princess.

I can tell you that I sailed QM2 in 2007 and again in 2008 and the main dining room was really bad. I'm not picky but the waiters were rushed and not friendly. It was incredibly bad. After that- I just ate at the buffet. I sailed QM2 because we got some good deals and I wanted to do the transatlantic. The cruises were fine- but I'm just comparing them to other lines I have sailed and I wouldn't put them in that order.

Don't put too much weight on these "awards". The cruise lines heavily pump TAs to vote for their cruise line in almost all of these "awards". I couldn't even count how many emails I've gotten begging for votes. It's despicable IMO. Many people voting have never even experienced the cruise line they're voting for. :rolleyes: