MSC Club downgrading all its members and removing many perks

sebastienbo

And the YC is still there for us Mike, at a great value for money and reasonable price compared to the luxury lines out there. :)

I agree Per!!! At least you'll now be able to earn more points by sailing in the YC!!! I amy have to rethink my Fantastica Experience booking I have in January...

Don't think I had caught this before. Seems they are going the way of airline miles.

For how long are points valid?

Points earned at the end of a cruise have a validity date of 36 months from the date of disembarkation. You will need to complete at least one cruise in 36 months since your last disembarkation date to extend your membership for another 36 months from your last disembarkation date.

What is the “Membership Validity Date” and when does it expire?

MSC Voyagers Club points and status do not expire as long as you have at least a minimum of one cruise completed in three years.

If the last cruise disembarkation date is over 3 years ago (36 months) or no cruise has been taken in 3 years since the registration date, membership to the MSC Voyagers Club Program expires.

For example: if the last disembarkation date is January 30, 2015 and no cruises are taken up to January 30, 2018, the membership will expire.

If membership expires, passengers must subscribe to the MSC Voyagers Club again. Subscription will be subject to the conditions stated. A new Club identification number will be assigned.

How can I keep my membership so that it doesn’t expire?

All you need to do is to complete at least one cruise in 36 months. And it is even easier to cruise with the Voyages Selections for MSC Voyagers Club members! After your cruise is completed, your points expiration date will automatically be extended for an additional 36 months from the date of your most recent cruise disembarkation date.

Thoughts on this?

Bret

What's more, in several countries including the US, travelers with a rewards card from another land or sea program can join the MSC Voyages Club and automatically receive similar or higher status. They'll get the 5% cruise savings and additional discounts associated with Voyages Selection, too.

Taken from SeaTrade News.

Mike ... Not sure what level you are currently but points beyond those needed for black appear to be a waste!

Bret ... To me it seems ridiculous that if you decide not to cruise with MSc for over 3 years you lose everything you have gained and start again at the bottom ! rewarding loyalty? not in my book.

Edited by sidari

Don't think I had caught this before. Seems they are going the way of airline miles.

For how long are points valid?

Points earned at the end of a cruise have a validity date of 36 months from the date of disembarkation. You will need to complete at least one cruise in 36 months since your last disembarkation date to extend your membership for another 36 months from your last disembarkation date.

What is the “Membership Validity Date” and when does it expire?

MSC Voyagers Club points and status do not expire as long as you have at least a minimum of one cruise completed in three years.

If the last cruise disembarkation date is over 3 years ago (36 months) or no cruise has been taken in 3 years since the registration date, membership to the MSC Voyagers Club Program expires.

For example: if the last disembarkation date is January 30, 2015 and no cruises are taken up to January 30, 2018, the membership will expire.

If membership expires, passengers must subscribe to the MSC Voyagers Club again. Subscription will be subject to the conditions stated. A new Club identification number will be assigned.

How can I keep my membership so that it doesn’t expire?

All you need to do is to complete at least one cruise in 36 months. And it is even easier to cruise with the Voyages Selections for MSC Voyagers Club members! After your cruise is completed, your points expiration date will automatically be extended for an additional 36 months from the date of your most recent cruise disembarkation date.

Thoughts on this?

Bret

It' 2 years on Costa :mad:

I haven't sailed with Msc yet, booked for next April, but I can't bring my loyalty over from another cruise company. All I will receive is the the welcome card, and I'm very happy with that. It's the cruise I'm looking forward to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's more, in several countries including the US, travelers with a rewards card from another land or sea program can join the MSC Voyages Club and automatically receive similar or higher status. They'll get the 5% cruise savings and additional discounts associated with Voyages Selection, too.

Taken from SeaTrade News.

Mike ... Not sure what level you are currently but points beyond those needed for black appear to be a waste!

Bret ... To me it seems ridiculous that if you decide not to cruise with MSc for over 3 years you lose everything you have gained and start again at the bottom ! rewarding loyalty? not in my book.

Sidari,,,I'm a lowly Classic member so I have a ways to go yet before I hit Black Level. MSC Divina really hasn't been here long enough for most of us here in the U.S. to achieve Black Level yet so that's probably why you really don't see an huge outcry regarding the new Voyagers Club or Loyalty Match. I do however sympathize with all of you who have sailed MSC extensively and have rightfully earned your place within their loyalty program!!!

Hi Mairi

Azamara only charges solos 25% solo penalty on several cruises a year.

Annie

Yes Annie, found them and some also had a double upgrade deal too where a balcony or even a deluxe balcony was cheaper than an inside or outside. Thinking about a repo to Dubai, but it is £3250. It does include more than MDC or Cista would like drinks and service charge and appears to be a far superior product. Cost don't have theirs that far out yet but there repo later this year is around a third of Azamara. MSC's site is timing out!

Azamara is tempting as it has a nicer itinerary and the smaller ship appeals. We shall see...... In the meantime I've signed up to get set their special offers.

Edited by AmoMondo

Been reading the thread, had some time so here's my take,,,

Excuse my language to start,,,

The reduction in '% off' for higher levels from 20%etc. to 5% SUCKS!

The '3 yr. limit' and your points disappear SUCKS!

The new club isn't a 'LOYALTY CLUB' ANYMORE, its a 'COUPON CLUB' for everybody!

Will it work, maybe, maybe not?

If you're a Black Card member, will you pay more for a cruise? YES, because of the 15% reduction!:eek:

The benefits of reaching 'Black Card status' now are a joke!

In my opinion, MSC previously ranked 2nd best in 'top status benefits' in the old loyalty program behind RCL, (20% off was a good deal)

Now MSC has the worst top tier benefits of any cruise line!:eek:

Will that stop you from cruising on MSC, maybe, maybe not?:confused:

Its certainly gonna make you think!

As in everything, all is not bad, there might be reasons to stay!

MSC's prices in the US the last 2 years have been great!

The Seaside will be big, a hot cruise in the US, and I'm not talking temperature!

MSC drink coupons bring the cost of an alcoholic beverage down to about 50% of RCL's new prices, and are still a very good deal!

The Yacht Club is still a great deal compared to other cruise lines suite prices, and the service you receive!

The extra points in this new 'coupon club' for cruising in the Yacht Club is good, (I just don't know what they're good for)!:D

Will this keep us from MSC, No!

But this is the first time I have a club membership (whatever you want to call it), and I don't care about the points, how many I have, or where I am in it!

It certainly won't sell me on a MSC cruise in the future!:eek:

By the way we are RCL Diamond Plus, NCL Gold, and Carnival Platinum, and though we likely benefit from the new changes, we still don't think its 'fair' that newbies get more benes., (whatever they are) then long timers!

Just my opinion!

Happy cruising!

Been reading the thread, had some time so here's my take,,,

Excuse my language to start,,,

The reduction in '% off' for higher levels from 20%etc. to 5% SUCKS!

The '3 yr. limit' and your points disappear SUCKS!

The new club isn't a 'LOYALTY CLUB' ANYMORE, its a 'COUPON CLUB' for everybody!

Will it work, maybe, maybe not?

If you're a Black Card member, will you pay more for a cruise? YES, because of the 15% reduction!:eek:

The benefits of reaching 'Black Card status' now are a joke!

In my opinion, MSC previously ranked 2nd best in 'top status benefits' in the old loyalty program behind RCL, (20% off was a good deal)

Now MSC has the worst top tier benefits of any cruise line!:eek:

Will that stop you from cruising on MSC, maybe, maybe not?:confused:

Its certainly gonna make you think!

As in everything, all is not bad, there might be reasons to stay!

MSC's prices in the US the last 2 years have been great!

The Seaside will be big, a hot cruise in the US, and I'm not talking temperature!

MSC drink coupons bring the cost of an alcoholic beverage down to about 50% of RCL's new prices, and are still a very good deal!

The Yacht Club is still a great deal compared to other cruise lines suite prices, and the service you receive!

The extra points in this new 'coupon club' for cruising in the Yacht Club is good, (I just don't know what they're good for)!:D

Will this keep us from MSC, No!

But this is the first time I have a club membership (whatever you want to call it), and I don't care about the points, how many I have, or where I am in it!

It certainly won't sell me on a MSC cruise in the future!:eek:

By the way we are RCL Diamond Plus, NCL Gold, and Carnival Platinum, and though we likely benefit from the new changes, we still don't think its 'fair' that newbies get more benes., (whatever they are) then long timers!

Just my opinion!

Happy cruising!

Well said.

Just a thought and I know many will disagree.

For me with the new structure, the benefits are of so little value why don't MSC scrap the whole loyalty structure??

I actually think it makes it easier to evaluate a cruise purchase in terms of value.

With the other cruise lines in the past, even as a solo, I have been able to negotiate better perks i.e. prepaid tips and OBC.

Annie

Well said.

For me with the new structure, the benefits are of so little value why don't MSC scrap the whole loyalty structure??

I actually think it makes it easier to evaluate a cruise purchase in terms of value.

With the other cruise lines in the past, even as a solo, I have been able to negotiate better perks i.e. prepaid tips and OBC.

Annie

Surprisingly, I don't disagree with this entiment at all. We may have viewed and reacted differently to the changes, but I do agree that is barely worth having it now for all the difference it makes.

Surprisingly, I don't disagree with this entiment at all. We may have viewed and reacted differently to the changes, but I do agree that is barely worth having it now for all the difference it makes.

So I see my MSC Club points have been multiplied by 100 and the most valuable perks removed or reduced.

My favourite hospitality loyalty scheme was at the Hotel Concorde, Lara in Turkey and involved planting a young tree in the grounds adorned with a brass plaque carrying the name of the guest complete with planting and naming ceremony attended by senior management and fellow awardees. That is just not practicable on a ship.

All the more reason, since the era of Giles Hawke, that I am concentrating on 'land cruises' for the time being. The next, at the utterly blissful Sunrise Queen, in Side, will even be preceded by a pre-cruise stay at the five star Seher Sun Palace at £6.80 per night, all-inclusive. I am afraid MSC cannot compete for me at the moment. Nor does it look likely to any time soon on the current trajectory.

Edited by Skipper Tim

So I see my MSC Club points have been multiplied by 100 and the most valuable perks removed or reduced.

My favourite hospitality loyalty scheme was at the Hotel Concorde, Lara in Turkey and involved planting a young tree in the grounds adorned with a brass plaque carrying the name of the guest complete with planting and naming ceremony attended by senior management and fellow awardees. That is just not practicable on a ship.

All the more reason, since the era of Giles Hawke, that I am concentrating on 'land cruises' for the time being. The next, at the utterly blissful Sunrise Queen, in Side, will even be preceded by a pre-cruise stay at the five star Seher Sun Palace at £6.80 per night, all-inclusive. I am afraid MSC cannot compete for me at the moment. Nor does it look likely to any time soon on the current trajectory.

Tim, do you blog or review your "land-cruise" trips anywhere? You have my curiosity piqued since you first mentioned them. I'm intrigued to know how you find and book these places. I may be looking for alternatives to cruising :D

One new perk for Black Member is the late cabin check-out. Black Members can stay in their cabin until 2 hours after the ship arrives the disembarkation port. This new perk is a nice one and is perfect for me.

Agreed, nice perk, but not worth the 15% reduction.:)

Well said.

Annie

Annie, basically MSC has abandoned the idea of a 'Loyalty' Club to a Concept Club that might attract higher level (loyalty club) cruisers from other lines to try their product while MSC sacrifices loyalty to their higher level members!

The single item that made the past MSC Loyalty Club special, and one of the best was the increased %'s off for higher club levels!

Without that, the levels really mean little to most cruisers!

Knowing MSC watches these boards, i wouldn't be surprised to see the %'s changed back in the near future, at least before the Seaside comes to the US! (We can hope)

RCL's loyalty club, which I consider the best at the top levels, gives out a balcony discount that increases as your level in the club increases, also free drinks are handed out during the nightly cocktail party for higher level club members!

MSC can, and should do better!:)

One new perk for Black Member is the late cabin check-out. Black Members can stay in their cabin until 2 hours after the ship arrives the disembarkation port. This new perk is a nice one and is perfect for me.

Thanks for pointing that out, I'd missed that and I'm not an early riser nor do I book early flights that I must be first off the ship to catch, so having the use of the cabin for longer is a positive.

Currently for me, I do not see any benefit to sign up as I will be in the Yacht Club and will be spoiled rotten always. Not sure what more could be offered besides a 5% for a new booking. Besides, I am not that high up the food chain of the other cruise lines , which offers stuff I don't care about much anyways for the levels I am in.

Only thing I can think of that I would want on my MSC cruise is the option to get a few drinks while walking around the ship. I will just pay for the few I would get, or if I can buy just 5-6 coupons for the discounted price, I might just do that.

Does anyone know if or how these changes will affect a current booking for January 2016? Would be interesting to see what they offer for 4 star with HAL.

Cruiser,,,if you're an MSC Voyagers Club member currently,the Loyalty Match program will not be available to you,,however,,if you're not,,then by all means fill out the form to see which level you are assigned. I do wish MSC would post a conversion chart so you can see what level you will be assigned before you fill out the form.

Thanks Mike. Yes, I am already a member at Silver level right now with the 11 day cruise booked in Jan. From what I could understand, the new conversion works only if you are not a member, so wondered if it had any affect on current members. So thanks for confirming that info.

Mike I am a current MSC member who does not have the correct points...I am silver when I should be gold, often times can not be found in the system, so I think they should match my diamond plus Eccles status.

Mike I am a current MSC member who does not have the correct points...I am silver when I should be gold, often times can not be found in the system, so I think they should match my diamond plus Eccles status.

I have the same issue with my girlfriends account. She should be silver but instead she is still classic. I looked into the points she was awarded and she is missing the 7 points (700), that she should have received from a 7 night sailing we completed last August.