MSC Club downgrading all its members and removing many perks

sebastienbo

Thanks Mike. Yes, I am already a member at Silver level right now with the 11 day cruise booked in Jan. From what I could understand, the new conversion works only if you are not a member, so wondered if it had any affect on current members. So thanks for confirming that info.

I just received information from MSC which states that existing members of the MSC Voyagers Club can still reapply if they have a loyalty membership from another cruise line. You would just have to fill out the form and submit it to MSC.

I just received information from MSC which states that existing members of the MSC Voyagers Club can still reapply if they have a loyalty membership from another cruise line. You would just have to fill out the form and submit it to MSC.

Thanks. I'll follow up on that.

Tim, do you blog or review your "land-cruise" trips anywhere? You have my curiosity piqued since you first mentioned them. I'm intrigued to know how you find and book these places. I may be looking for alternatives to cruising :D

Bea,

I do review them over on Trip Advisor. Here is my review of the next 'land cruise' venue from earlier this year. There will be eight of us at the Sunrise Queen, pre-Christmas who met each other through cruises. I am so looking forward to it!

No, I have not blogged about land cruises. I have merely spammed by email everyone I thought might be interested :). I could add you to my spam list if you like :).

The Sunrise Queen is genuinely superb quality but relatively very pricey by all-inclusive, five-star hotels on that stretch of the coast at around 30 GBP per night, sole-occupancy of a double during the 'winter season' (November-March). More common rates for other five-stars are in the range of £12-£25 all-inclusive. The extra is absolutely worth it and compared to a 'sea cruise' an absolute steal.

You can message me via the Trip Advisor review link above.

Edited by Skipper Tim

The MSC cruise advantages and cards just have been changed

They have removed almost all the advantages.

The reductions of 5%,8%,10% and 20% are all reduced to 5% for everybody (being loyal at MSC doesn't mean anything anymore now)

Most advantages that were interesting in the classic and silver membership have now been moved to gold membership (downgrading the solver and classic members and now GOLD has become more difficult to reach and is actually also stripped down)

Al the minibar and logoshop and specility restaurant reductions are all gone

Then there are also strange rules in place regarding the MSC experiences called (bella,fantastica,aurea,)

For example an interior fantastica cabine priced arround 600 euro for 7 days will get you 7000 points, while a balcony cabine that cost 1100 euro, will give you only 5000 points (so you pay double, but you get less points..)

They also stated that in their new program they give a 50 euro voucher to spend on board, but that ridiculous, because since this year you need to pay 8,5 euro per person per day for tips and fees, that is 17 euro per day for two persons, or on a 10 day cruise 170 euro against the 50 that they now offer...

Finally they also decided that if yo book a cruise of more then 10 days (12 or 14or more), that you should not get any more points then when you booked a cruise of 10 days, so it feels like they are punishing you when you take longer cruise trips (like the grand voyage or the nordic trips).

Summary: One majour big downgrade for the MSC cruis club members, for me the club was something that kept me going all the time with MSC, but now that I don't feel attached anymore, I'm gonna try another company, I think Royal Carrabian, they still reward the loyality of their customers! :mad:

I agree 100%. I am a Black card holder and watched my benefits disappear overnight. Loyalty goes both ways so I am looking for a new cruise line.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk

I agree 100%. I am a Black card holder and watched my benefits disappear overnight. Loyalty goes both ways so I am looking for a new cruise line.

I doubt your post, imposter. You are showing up on many threads with the same message.

You are not a poster here. Don't come back.

I doubt your post, imposter. You are showing up on many threads with the same message.

You are not a poster here. Don't come back.

MSC Black members previously had an automatic 20% off on ALL cruises. That is now reduced to 5% with an additional discount up to 15% on selected cruises. In addition, there were significant on board discounts on spa, minibar, internet, photos, logo shop, and laundry. All those discounts have been eliminated. A dinner with the captain or an officer was also eliminated. They did add two new benefits of minimal value: a free dance lesson and a chocolate ship as a gift. Check it out with other Black card holders if you think I am not telling the truth. Sorry if you think I am an imposter. I am not and spent over 70 nights on MSC ships last year.

Bea,

I do review them over on Trip Advisor. Here is my review of the next 'land cruise' venue from earlier this year. There will be eight of us at the Sunrise Queen, pre-Christmas who met each other through cruises. I am so looking forward to it!

No, I have not blogged about land cruises. I have merely spammed by email everyone I thought might be interested :). I could add you to my spam list if you like :).

The Sunrise Queen is genuinely superb quality but relatively very pricey by all-inclusive, five-star hotels on that stretch of the coast at around 30 GBP per night, sole-occupancy of a double during the 'winter season' (November-March). More common rates for other five-stars are in the range of £12-£25 all-inclusive. The extra is absolutely worth it and compared to a 'sea cruise' an absolute steal.

You can message me via the Trip Advisor review link above.

Cheers, Tim. I'll check out TripAdvisor, so ;)

MSC Black members previously had an automatic 20% off on ALL cruises. That is now reduced to 5% with an additional discount up to 15% on selected cruises. In addition, there were significant on board discounts on spa, minibar, internet, photos, logo shop, and laundry. All those discounts have been eliminated. A dinner with the captain or an officer was also eliminated. They did add two new benefits of minimal value: a free dance lesson and a chocolate ship as a gift. Check it out with other Black card holders if you think I am not telling the truth. Sorry if you think I am an imposter. I am not and spent over 70 nights on MSC ships last year.

All the info you have posted re Black cards is available on CC!

All the info you have posted re Black cards is available on CC!

So? Why does that mean he must be making it up?

If posts could only be made if they had new information there probably would not be 99% of the posts on this site.

There were significant on board discounts on spa, minibar, internet, photos, logo shop, and laundry. All those discounts have been eliminated.

Not quite true .............. there are discounts offered on onboard services. They are provided in booklet form. Canny cruiser is the first to have posted his experiences with the new offerings and has been good enough to list the discounted services in his thread.

A dinner with the captain or an officer was also eliminated.

Replaced with a "Black" party night, rather than eliminated.

Sorry if I seem a bit pedantic, but it's important that the right information is being shared here and I'm always glad for someone to come along and correct anything I'm mistaken about.

I prefer to choose the Yacht Club, but for what i earn points??

I've you are a Gold or blackcard member this downgrading to 5 % for loyal members is a BIG choke for Yacht Club Guests.

And now they create a "loyalty Club", the same for me...... no benefits :(

For every cruise i've a budget. If i pay more for the cruise because they downgrade me to a classic member (club member discount), i've less money for the trips. :rolleyes:

(okay.....i've forgotten the generous 50 Euro voucher (100 for a couple)..... but i've you pay 6'300 Euro for a cruise this voucher is more than a choke..

For the next cruises i've a look to celebrity cruises (Aqua class) or Crystal, i'm not happy what they create in the msc marketingdepartement. :mad:

But the membership is free for both sides, they can change the rules and i can choose an other cruise line... I'm not forced to cruise with them, which is really sad because i enjoyed the Yacht Cclub very much.

Claudia

I prefer to choose the Yacht Club, but for what i earn points??

I've you are a Gold or blackcard member this downgrading to 5 % for loyal members is a BIG choke for Yacht Club Guests.

And now they create a "loyalty Club", the same for me...... no benefits :(

For every cruise i've a budget. If i pay more for the cruise because they downgrade me to a classic member (club member discount), i've less money for the trips. :rolleyes:

(okay.....i've forgotten the generous 50 Euro voucher (100 for a couple)..... but i've you pay 6'300 Euro for a cruise this voucher is more than a choke..

For the next cruises i've a look to celebrity cruises (Aqua class) or Crystal, i'm not happy what they create in the msc marketingdepartement. :mad:

But the membership is free for both sides, they can change the rules and i can choose an other cruise line... I'm not forced to cruise with them, which is really sad because i enjoyed the Yacht Cclub very much.

Claudia

I agree, wholeheartedly, Claudia. I've booked a Sky Suite on Celebrity for similar price to what YC would cost. If I'm hooked and become a regular X cruiser I won't even have to worry about the expiry date with MSCs "loyalty" programme as I can attain an equivalent level on X and get MSC perks - what a joke!!!!

Not quite true .............. there are discounts offered on onboard services. They are provided in booklet form. Canny cruiser is the first to have posted his experiences with the new offerings and has been good enough to list the discounted services in his thread.

Replaced with a "Black" party night, rather than eliminated.

Sorry if I seem a bit pedantic, but it's important that the right information is being shared here and I'm always glad for someone to come along and correct anything I'm mistaken about.

C'mon! You have been to MSCs returning guest and honeymooner parties. They give you a glass of cheap sparkling wine and introduce the Captain and officers. He makes a toast and they make a quick exit. This is a far cry from enjoying dinner and conversation with the captain.

C'mon! You have been to MSCs returning guest and honeymooner parties. They give you a glass of cheap sparkling wine and introduce the Captain and officers. He makes a toast and they make a quick exit. This is a far cry from enjoying dinner and conversation with the captain.

I don't remember saying it was in the same league as the "Captain's Dinner". Now, I wonder - When was the last time the captain actually had dinner with Black Card level passengers :confused:

Bea ... I am in the same boat as you with regard to RCI and X and the ridiculous three year no cruise issue, that is of course until they change things once again! maybe MSC are hoping to drive away existing Black and Gold card members.

Bea ... I am in the same boat as you with regard to RCI and X and the ridiculous three year no cruise issue, that is of course until they change things once again! maybe MSC are hoping to drive away existing Black and Gold card members.

To think that the "expiry" can only apply to MSC loyal customers and not to those of other cruise line loyalty schemes is galling!!!! That particular element has only just dawned on me!

Already, I'm comparing Celebrity prices with MSC and finding them attractive, now that I don't have a decent % discount to apply. I'm looking forward to sailing X in January and checking out the 'future cruise booking facility' while onboard with the added incentives Celebrity offers for so doing - something MSC doesn't offer, apart from the €10 voucher which, though a great offer, is limited in it's use.

If I cruise with X often enough and get to the level equivalent to Black, I'll be able to STAY at Black level infinitum, unlike true MSC Black level pax who have to cruise within the three year "expiry" to keep their "benefits"!! That's mad, Ted!

This is how Celebrity award points - nice and straightforward, according to cabin category rather than "Experience"

Stateroom Category	        Club Points Earned per Night

Inside/Ocean View	                         2
Veranda	                                         3
Concierge Class/AquaClass®	         5
Sky Suite	                                       8
Celebrity, Signature or Royal Suite	12
Reflection or Penthouse Suite	        18

Sorry - can't get the figures quite right in alignment, but you get the drift!

Edited by Beamafar

To think that the "expiry" can only apply to MSC loyal customers and not to those of other cruise line loyalty schemes is galling!!!! That particular element has only just dawned on me!

Already, I'm comparing Celebrity prices with MSC and finding them attractive, now that I don't have a decent % discount to apply. I'm looking forward to sailing X in January and checking out the 'future cruise booking facility' while onboard with the added incentives Celebrity offers for so doing - something MSC doesn't offer, apart from the €10 voucher which, though a great offer, is limited in it's use.

If I cruise with X often enough and get to the level equivalent to Black, I'll be able to STAY at Black level infinitum, unlike true MSC Black level pax who have to cruise within the three year "expiry" to keep their "benefits"!! That's mad, Ted!

Brilliant.

So I stop sailing with MSC, I am elite with X, and still keep my status with MSC - problem solved.

Maybe MSC worked out that it was only the 20% discount that kept Black members loyal to MSC and it was too expensive especially in YC.

Annie

Annie........... I've only sailed once with MSC at Black card level and have never received the 20% discount for any of my YC sailings (except for Meraviglia 2017 inaugural :D)

However, I always booked YC at promotional prices - e.g. I received a 10% discount (Gold level) on an Early Booking Rate PLUS €400 OBC with a €10 voucher for my upcoming cruise in YC and I really don't think YC can be beaten on price at that rate!!!!

Yes, the 20% discount did keep me loyal - but only up to a point. I'd booked 3 cruises for 2016/2017 before I even knew the 20% was being done away with! One was definitely influenced by the discount, the second was the repo to Durban which I really wanted to do. At €40 pn offer I don't think the lack of the 20% discount would have put me off. And the third was the inaugural on Meraviglia. I may not have booked YC were it not for the 20%, but I did get €400 OBC on that one from another €10 voucher which would have weighted my decision, too.

It's going to be some time before I know how the loss of the discount affects future bookings, but if MSC continue to be great value, I may continue with them. Depends on how Celebrity works out. I may find they offer better value. They certainly offer a more diverse range of itineraries and cruise lengths - 10 night cruises are more appealing than MSCs regular 7 night ones. There's more to choosing cruises than just the price and 20% discounts, or lack thereof!!

If I cruise with X often enough and get to the level equivalent to Black, I'll be able to STAY at Black level infinitum, unlike true MSC Black level pax who have to cruise within the three year "expiry" to keep their "benefits"!!

Well, actually not. Since one of the conditions of their offer is that it can only be given once per person.

I personally like the 3yr rule, I wish other lines would do the same thing. I just think it makes good sense. Carnival is getting overrun with Platinum card holders and a 3 year requirement would take some of the issues with check in and tendering away. Cruising once every 3 years is not hard to do. Airlines make you qualify every year, why not cruise lines.

have people heard back yet as to their new status based on uploading their membership card with other lines? I am curious as to where Diamond Plus with RCCL will fit with the new loyalty match assignment.

Annie........... I've only sailed once with MSC at Black card level and have never received the 20% discount for any of my YC sailings (except for Meraviglia 2017 inaugural :D)

However, I always booked YC at promotional prices - e.g. I received a 10% discount (Gold level) on an Early Booking Rate PLUS €400 OBC with a €10 voucher for my upcoming cruise in YC and I really don't think YC can be beaten on price at that rate!!!!

Yes, the 20% discount did keep me loyal - but only up to a point. I'd booked 3 cruises for 2016/2017 before I even knew the 20% was being done away with! One was definitely influenced by the discount, the second was the repo to Durban which I really wanted to do. At €40 pn offer I don't think the lack of the 20% discount would have put me off. And the third was the inaugural on Meraviglia. I may not have booked YC were it not for the 20%, but I did get €400 OBC on that one from another €10 voucher which would have weighted my decision, too.

It's going to be some time before I know how the loss of the discount affects future bookings, but if MSC continue to be great value, I may continue with them. Depends on how Celebrity works out. I may find they offer better value. They certainly offer a more diverse range of itineraries and cruise lengths - 10 night cruises are more appealing than MSCs regular 7 night ones. There's more to choosing cruises than just the price and 20% discounts, or lack thereof!!

I'm going to agree with you, although I find much that is not good in the recent changes to the 'coupon club' (refuse to call it Loyalty Club) my opinion is the Yacht Club is still a great deal when compared to other cruise lines higher end cabins/prices/service!