Benefits of booking new cruise onboard? Also new Carnival stock holders.

Galleon1234

Ok, so this is a new option I have never explored before. You have peaked my interest.

Just want to make sure I am reading this all correctly. If we book a "future" cruise somewhere down the line on board and pay the deposit under the past guest rate - when we arrive home and then find the "perfect" cruise we can change to this new cruise and the OBC will follow the new booking at the appropriate rate depending on length of cruise - is this correct?

You are correct.

Only other question I have is: If the new final cruise we select has a better rate - such as Early Saver can we switch to this and still retain the OBC - or does it have to stay as a Past Guest rate to retain the OBC?

Thanks for the help!

Never booked on board before as we were never sure what we might do next - we usually take them as they come and book based on a good sale or something. I miss the days when you could buy the $100 OBC voucher in advance and use that when you were ready.

The OBC has nothing to do with the rate. It is OBC for booking on board. Remember that once you switch to early saver, you stay ES and can no longer switch without penalty. As ES, you can apply for any future price drops with any rate that would apply to you. So yes, you will keep the OBC as given for the length of your new booked cruise.

We all miss the FCC but this is a way to have OBC on hand when you want to book a new cruise and you are not on a ship.

Ok, so this is a new option I have never explored before. You have peaked my interest.

Just want to make sure I am reading this all correctly. If we book a "future" cruise somewhere down the line on board and pay the deposit under the past guest rate - when we arrive home and then find the "perfect" cruise we can change to this new cruise and the OBC will follow the new booking at the appropriate rate depending on length of cruise - is this correct?

Only other question I have is: If the new final cruise we select has a better rate - such as Early Saver can we switch to this and still retain the OBC - or does it have to stay as a Past Guest rate to retain the OBC?

Thanks for the help!

Never booked on board before as we were never sure what we might do next - we usually take them as they come and book based on a good sale or something. I miss the days when you could buy the $100 OBC voucher in advance and use that when you were ready.

YES, correct. I have been doing this since they gave up the future cruise certificates. For confirmation- I always book 7 day random cruises. It doesn't matter to me, what the deposits are. It's simply a matter of pay now or pay latter. I'm not concerned about a few hundred dollars. I have had no problem booking longer cruises- twice in the past year- and getting the increased OBC of $200.

OK, so next "clarification" question.

If I book a 3 day to hold the OBC for me onboard my next cruise, this comes with $50 OBC... now if in 3 months I book the "real" cruise I want and it is a 7 day does the OBC increase to $100 automatically... or does it stay at the $50?

Conversely, if I go ahead and pop for the deposit on a 7 day at the $100 OBC... and then decide to book my "real" cruise as a 4 day does it decrease to $50 or stay at $100?

Basically, once you "hold" does the OBC automatically change based on what our final cruise booking is? Or does it just stay the same based on the cruse you opt to buy as your "place card"?

PS: Also, I am guessing the OBC is per cabin, not per person?

OK, so next "clarification" question.

If I book a 3 day to hold the OBC for me onboard my next cruise, this comes with $50 OBC... now if in 3 months I book the "real" cruise I want and it is a 7 day does the OBC increase to $100 automatically... or does it stay at the $50?

Conversely, if I go ahead and pop for the deposit on a 7 day at the $100 OBC... and then decide to book my "real" cruise as a 4 day does it decrease to $50 or stay at $100?

Basically, once you "hold" does the OBC automatically change based on what our final cruise booking is? Or does it just stay the same based on the cruse you opt to buy as your "place card"?

PS: Also, I am guessing the OBC is per cabin, not per person?[/quote)

The booking onboard credit- is linked directly to the number of days you sail, not the number of days you "book". I already mentioned, my example of, twice in the past year, I used 2 of my 7 "dummy" bookings, changed them to 2 15 day cruises and ended up with the $200 OBC each. You DO have to request this change to make sure it is applied, and your booking number has to remain the SAME.

So, if I book on board does the "real" cruise need to be booked within the 90 days of booking the dummy cruise?

No, the 90 days is only for the F&F vouchers. Friends and/or family must book the same cruise as you within the 90 days as per the date shown on the vouchers.

You can rebook any time up to the final payment of the dummy cruise in order to not pay penalties. Even after final payment, you could change but penalties will apply.

If you book a cruise for spring of 2017, you have until just before the final payment of that cruise to rebook. That's why most of us are advising that you book a 3 days cruise as far in the future as you can.

No, the 90 days is only for the F&F vouchers. Friends and/or family must book the same cruise as you within the 90 days as per the date shown on the vouchers.

You can rebook any time up to the final payment of the dummy cruise in order to not pay penalties. Even after final payment, you could change but penalties will apply.

If you book a cruise for spring of 2017, you have until just before the final payment of that cruise to rebook. That's why most of us are advising that you book a 3 days cruise as far in the future as you can.

Okay, perfect. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
I booked solo and got the whole OBC. Have to pay double deposit, the same cabin deposit as 2 people were booking.

Been cruising RCCL for many years solo. They only charge $250 deposit for a 7 day for a solo. I was shocked when Carnival charged me $500. Ouch!

Yikes!!

So my next cruise is with RCCL! Worse part, if you book Early Saver Fare, it's not refundable and only applicable to a future cruise booked in next 24 mos. With RCCL, if you cancel, it's fully refundable up to and before the final payment. Easier terms for anyone but particularly for a solo traveler.

So if I want to cruise to Hawaii in 2017 and because the schedule is not out yet. I should just go pick a past guest schedule for some thing in 2017 and then move it when the schedule comes out.

When you change cruises, just make sure you use the original booking number. If not, they will not be able to transfer the OBC to the new booking number.

Also when making the cruise change, make sure the Carnival phone agent knows to transfer the OBC to the new cruise. It does not happen automatically. I also depends on how experienced the phone agent is.:cool:

So as long as you book the "Past Guest" rate for the shortest cruise the furthest date away you can switch it to another cruise without penalty.

Is this correct

Thanks

Yes that is correct. Carnival will transfer the deposit and OBC from the original cruise to the new one. You may have to pay additional deposit, it just depends on what is required for the new cruise.:cool:

Can you book on Princess or other Carnival Co. ships and then transfer booking to another? So if you bought a future cruise "Past Guest" certificate on Princess can it be transferred to a Carnival cruise?

Thanks

No.

What are the payment options for the deposit when you pay on board? Does it have to get charged to your current S&S Account?

...OR could I use carnival gift cards?

...OR could I use a different credit card than the one on the S&S acct?

...OR could I use cash?

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

What are the payment options for the deposit when you pay on board? Does it have to get charged to your current S&S Account?

...OR could I use carnival gift cards?

...OR could I use a different credit card than the one on the S&S acct?

...OR could I use cash?

Thanks!

I'm fairly certain you CANNOT charge the deposit to your S&S account. I know you can use the same card billed separately. You can certainly use a different credit card if you like. I can't imagine them not accepting cash for something like this. I think you can use Carnival GCs, but I haven't tried it to be sure.