Solo RCI Cruisers - What's Been Your Experience...Good? Bad? Indifferent?

I've never cruised on any RC ship alone, and I've often wondered what that would be like for me. My hubby has always vacationed with me, but sometimes I think about doing a "shorty" for 3-4 days just to relax and clear my head. Not certain that I'd want to do a lengthy mega-ship sailing by myself, though...LOL

I'm just curious about what cruising solo is like for those who have done it. What RC ship(s) did you sail and did you enjoy it? Would love to hear your responses! ;)

I've never cruised on any RC ship alone, and I've often wondered what that would be like for me. My hubby has always vacationed with me, but sometimes I think about doing a "shorty" for 3-4 days just to relax and clear my head. Not certain that I'd want to do a lengthy mega-ship sailing by myself, though...LOL

I'm just curious about what cruising solo is like for those who have done it. What RC ship(s) did you sail and did you enjoy it? Would love to hear your responses! ;)

Half of my cruises have been solo and several of them on RC ships (but not all). In my opinion, the solo cruiser experience is ENTIRELY driven by the personality and actions of the solo cruiser. It will be what YOU make of it. If you want to participate and communicate with others, you need to make that known and take the initiative most of the time. If you wish to be left alone, you will be left alone to enjoy your peace and solitude.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

I have sailed many times as a solo passenger. I love it! (I agree that the experience is what you make of it).

I've met so many people that have become wonderful friends. (We even have reunion cruises with each other).

Definitely try it out!

I did my 1st solo on the Jewel in January and it was amazing. I almost cancelled because I was so afraid - now my 2nd solo is booked for November on the Oasis! I can honestly say it was one of my best cruises (have been on 10). People were wonderful and so friendly but also had plenty of "me" time. Don't know what it will be like on a ship the size of the Oasis, but I can't wait.

I've been on 4 solo cruises so far and have 2 more booked for next year. I absolutely love it and sometimes, wouldn't have it any other way. I like that I can do things my way, when I want and how I want.

My first solo cruise was a 4 night Bahamas cruise for my birthday. I figured I'd start out with something small if I didn't like it and that was never the case! My longest solo cruise was a 9 night sailing and it was the perfect length for me.

I recommend starting with a 4 or 5 night sailing first - you'll know rather quickly if you love it or hate it. I'm sure you will love it though. There is a solo section here on CC that has a lot of details and actually has a long running Solo Roll Call as well. I'd also recommend joining your roll call - I wouldn't have had the chance to do some great excursions had I not participated in my roll call and been adopted for the day by some wonderful people!

In my opinion, the solo cruiser experience is ENTIRELY driven by the personality and actions of the solo cruiser. It will be what YOU make of it.

I like your take on it. Makes sense. I'm a very friendly person, but I am also a silent people-watcher in my relaxed time. It would be great to be able to have the best of both worlds on my sailings. Now I'm wondering what ship I'd like to try a solo on...I'll talk about it with my hubby. Maybe he can help me select one!

I have done several solo cruises and several with husband or sister. I truly love solo cruising. I can do what I want- when I want.

I always choose set dining at a large table so I can meet people.

the only times I have felt uncomfortable has been at a couple of ports when I ventured out on my own. That has only happened twice- once I returned to the ship and the second time I hooked up with a couple of nice ladies I had breakfast with that morning.

My favorite ship is the serenade.

I did my first solo on Navigator and it was so great that I'm officially hooked on solo cruising. I had traditional dining and was at a table with 5 couples ranging from 20s to 60s. I thought I would feel really awkward being the odd solo person at the table but we ended up all getting along great and are still FB friends. I absolutely agree that it's all about you and your ability to talk to strangers.

I cruise solo but am never alone. I chat with those on the roll call pre cruise and have made life long friends as a result.

I can be by myself when I want. Dine when and where I want and with whom I want. Go to activities or not. Just the same as couples or families.... I do miss having a 'special' person to be with sometimes.... still looking ;)

My last cruise was 4 weeks on Rhapsody. Had the best time ever. These days I cruise for the itinerary rather than the ship.

Linda

I also cruise on my own. I do happen to meet up with people that I have cruised with before (and meet new people like Linda from the comment above).

I recently finished 45 days on Rhapsody and had a BLAST!

Solo cruising is a great experience. You do as much or as little as you choose to do. Interact with others when you want and just relax by yourself when you want. I was anxious my first solo cruise, but now do it all the time and love it.

Solo cruising is a great experience. You do as much or as little as you choose to do. Interact with others when you want and just relax by yourself when you want. I was anxious my first solo cruise, but now do it all the time and love it.

More than one half of my cruises have been solo. I went on 2 solo's last year (April and December) I have one on Liberty to Bermuda in September. I love being by myself when I want to be - in my cabin just relaxing. I also like interacting with people that I meet. Give it a shot. If you don't like it, you can always remember the fun - or lack thereof - that you had.:D

Edited by onyourtoes

I did my first solo cruise last year and loved it! However, it was on another cruise line. I have done 10 RCCL cruises. I met several other solos that I have stayed in contact with. We want to book another cruise. Why does RCCL make it hard to figure out how to do this? Any tips on how to look solo cruises on their site?

I have done many solo cruises.. And they are definitely what you make of them. ( whatever that may be )

However, I have found that I much prefer 4 or 5 night on a freedom class ship. Sometimes I tend to get a bit lonely on a 7 nighter by myself.

The biggest set back is that more often than not you are going to pay 150 to 200 percent for the room ( although I have gotten some 125 percent deals from time to time)

Just took my first solo on Freedom for 7-nights. It was very restful and a great opportunity to catch up on reading. I don't regret doing it, and have already booked a solo 10-day cruise with RCL in the future. I do wish they would offer pricing options for solos better than 200-150% throughout their fleet.

Tips: I booked late and was unable to get traditional dining. I don't recommend choosing MyTime dining for solos if you are sociable. I was told that they don't have shared tables for MyTime dining, and was put at a table by myself in the dining room. I stuck with Windjammer for the rest of the week. Sometimes you also have to speak up if you're being overlooked (no photos, offers of bar service etc.). Someone told me that the crew was probably waiting until the rest of my party joined me before offering service, which makes sense.

You'll find some people don't get it. My coworkers kept asking me why I would take a cruise on my own, like it's a vacation only families or honeymooners would choose. Even my TA assumed that I wanted to save money because it was "just me." (He argued I didn't need all that space when I asked to book a JS.) Bottom line - it was fine, and I'm doing it again.

Just took my first solo on Freedom for 7-nights. It was very restful and a great opportunity to catch up on reading. I don't regret doing it, and have already booked a solo 10-day cruise with RCL in the future. I do wish they would offer pricing options for solos better than 200-150% throughout their fleet.

Tips: I booked late and was unable to get traditional dining. I don't recommend choosing MyTime dining for solos if you are sociable. I was told that they don't have shared tables for MyTime dining, and was put at a table by myself in the dining room. I stuck with Windjammer for the rest of the week. Sometimes you also have to speak up if you're being overlooked (no photos, offers of bar service etc.). Someone told me that the crew was probably waiting until the rest of my party joined me before offering service, which makes sense.

You'll find some people don't get it. My coworkers kept asking me why I would take a cruise on my own, like it's a vacation only families or honeymooners would choose. Even my TA assumed that I wanted to save money because it was "just me." (He argued I didn't need all that space when I asked to book a JS.) Bottom line - it was fine, and I'm doing it again.

How sad that the Freedom Maitre d' took such a stance about you sitting with others in the MTD section of the MDR..... It's not been my experience on other ships.....

To be fair, I mentioned the MyTime dining room situation and the lack of options for solos' to the Pursar's Desk when I was getting my Platinum Internet credit applied. I got 4 calls from the dining room after that, offering to "try to find someone who would want to sit with me" if I came back. Gotta give them credit for trying :-).

I did my first solo cruise a couple years ago because I was tired of waiting until I could find a friend to do a Greek Isle cruise. So I went solo and am now completely hooked! My upcoming cruise to Asia I have a friend that wanted to join me. Even though he is going to be in a separate room, I am finding just having a friend on board is kind of cramping my planning and figuring out what I want to do. After all, now I have to consider his wants.

It is so funny as now I almost cringe when a friend says they want to go on my cruise...although I do really enjoy connecting with a meeting CC folks on board. I think it is because I don't feel any form of obligation to the CC folks.

I am an extremely outgoing person so always make friends on excursions or just sitting around at the pool or dinner. But I also very much value my alone time reading, relaxing and just general people watching.

Overall, I love solo cruising and found it is ideal for me. However, I am not married so not sure if married folks would love it as much as I do. Or....they may love it even more! ;)

OP here.

Thanks for all of these terrific responses. You've given me a lot to ponder on! Has RC ever given any of you a "deal" on a solo sailing, or is deal and solo an oxymoron? I know there's always a single supplement.

I did my first solo cruise a couple years ago because I was tired of waiting until I could find a friend to do a Greek Isle cruise. So I went solo and am now completely hooked! My upcoming cruise to Asia I have a friend that wanted to join me. Even though he is going to be in a separate room, I am finding just having a friend on board is kind of cramping my planning and figuring out what I want to do. After all, now I have to consider his wants.

It is so funny as now I almost cringe when a friend says they want to go on my cruise...although I do really enjoy connecting with a meeting CC folks on board. I think it is because I don't feel any form of obligation to the CC folks.

I am an extremely outgoing person so always make friends on excursions or just sitting around at the pool or dinner. But I also very much value my alone time reading, relaxing and just general people watching.

Overall, I love solo cruising and found it is ideal for me. However, I am not married so not sure if married folks would love it as much as I do. Or....they may love it even more! ;)

I haven't cruised RCI yet - 20 days!! But I've cruised Disney twice solo and had a blast. Like you said, if I sat around waiting on friends to commit to something, I'd never go anywhere!

When I am on the Radiance, I'll be "solo within a group", so not totally solo. I am (unless for some reason I hate everything about RCI) planning to book a 12-night Med-Venice cruise on the Brilliance to celebrate my birthday. I'll likely be doing it solo, but I figure for the time being I'll book it for two (just put my sister in the cabin with me as I can always cancel or change the second person) just in case I meet someone between now and then - hey, a lot can happen in a year!!

I love the freedom that cruising - actually traveling in general - solo gives me in terms of planning. I can do what I want when I want and not be tied down to someone else's schedule (well, outside of the ship's schedule, but you know what I mean).

It's good to read above that odds of being seated alone are better with MTD. I don't mind the idea of eating with others, but a couple of bad experiences (once on the group cruise last year where we rotated among a set of tables for our group and then this past Feb on Disney where my request to eat alone initially was not accommodated) where there was NOTHING in common with assigned tablemates and indeed things that were said made me very uncomfortable to say anything about myself has me very gun-shy about trying it again.

As LisaAtlCruiser said, I am not married and am quite used to doing things on my own (in NYC even), so I'm already in a solo mindset. It could be different if you're married and used to doing things together all the time.

I now cruise mostly solo and loved everything except I usually pay double, I missed those days way back 2012 when NCCF is not yet double.

Solo cabins? What's the use of it if in many sailings, the price of solo cabins is also equal to non solo cabins.

OP here.

Thanks for all of these terrific responses. You've given me a lot to ponder on! Has RC ever given any of you a "deal" on a solo sailing, or is deal and solo an oxymoron? I know there's always a single supplement.

The only deal that I have gotten was once I got to 340 cruise points, I pay 150% of the fare vs 200%. Except for months of July and August and holiday sailings.

However, you do get double cruise points sailing solo which to me is fair since you are paying much more.

HI have gotten deals probably as low as 125%

I have gotten that on the liberty many times..

but it's usually within 60 days of the sailing, and I am sure it is based on the occupancy of the ship. I have also seen really good deals on "some" transatlantics .. My advice is to be ok with 150% or more and then check often to see if it changes and as long as it is before final payment, you can adjust..

The only deal that I have gotten was once I got to 340 cruise points, I pay 150% of the fare vs 200%. Except for months of July and August and holiday sailings.

However, you do get double cruise points sailing solo which to me is fair since you are paying much more.

Hmmm...double cruise points, huh? Didn't take that into consideration. Not a bad perk, and definitely fair for paying 150-200% fare.