Vancouver Debarkation

mysisterlouise

Hello - looking for advice on how easy (or not) it will be for us to secure a taxi on debarkation day in Vancouver for transport to the airport. Is this our best option or should we book private transport?

Any help will be appreciated!

The Canada Place terminal exit is under the Pan Pacific Hotel. IIRC within 75 feet of the terminal doors there are two taxi areas (one for regular Prius-sized taxis and another for minivan-sized taxis). Choose which area you wish based on the number of passengers and amount of luggage. Outside of the terminal, taxis line up along the street and are allowed entrance to the terminal area in an organized manner.

When we left the Vancouver terminal last May at 10:15 AM, the taxi areas were filled with taxis. Many taxis lined the street awaiting permission to enter the terminal or call by the Pan Pacific Hotel doorman.

Trip to the airport took about 25 minutes on Saturday morning. Fare in a minivan was $32 CDN with tip $40 US.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. We arrive in Vancouver on Friday and I believe we will be the only ship in port. Since we are suite class and can maybe do a "walk off" with our luggage we should be ok - our flight departure is 11:15am. Thanks again!

Should there be a long line up for a taxi at the terminal main exit/entrance doors then just go upstairs to the front door of the Pan Pacific Hotel and you will be in a taxi and on your way in minutes...

the congestion for taxi's at the terminal exit is caused by the traffic congestion of the Taxi's having to enter and exit the underground parkade where the terminal in located.

Directions to the front door of the Pan Pacific Hotel

Follow the signs that say "Buses - City Center" and keep to your right. these will lead to to some double doors to exit the terminal and to where the buses are parked. Continue along the sidewalk past the buses following the signs that now say "City Center" . Past the buses the sidewalk turns left and you will come to a set of double doors that read "Convention Center/ Hotel" enter these and take the elevator up 1 level to the main or ground floor. Exit the elevator turn left and walk out the front doors of the Pan Pacific Hotel and the doorman will hail you a cab.

You can also pre book a transfer with Vancouver Shuttle for $15pp or $14 if you are a senior. We used them last month to get to the ship from our hotel and they were great.

I've got a similar question except we'll be making our way to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal after disembarking Radiance of the Seas, and I understand it is some distance from Canada Place. Anybody local that can advise on the price of a cab?

I would venture a guess at $60-70ish but I can't say for sure.

Hmmm, less than for 2 to take the shuttle. We'll just plan on grabbing a cab then. Thanks. I've seen this price on a Trip Advisor forum too but wasn't sure if it would still be current.

Hmmm, less than for 2 to take the shuttle. We'll just plan on grabbing a cab then. Thanks. I've seen this price on a Trip Advisor forum too but wasn't sure if it would still be current.

I would suggest you call a couple cab companies and verify. I spoke to someone at the airport area hotel I was staying at and the cab was more than that that they had paid- plus a lot shorter distance. (also had no clue about the US exchange)

Thanks for the tips and suggestions. We arrive in Vancouver on Friday and I believe we will be the only ship in port. Since we are suite class and can maybe do a "walk off" with our luggage we should be ok - our flight departure is 11:15am. Thanks again!

You are going to have to consider being at the airport by 9:15am, since, especially cruise unload days- you can run into long lines at YVR.

I would also suggest, you consider taking the Skytrain. This is your most direct, and timesaving method. You MUST be able to handle all your own bags, but it is not a difficult transfer, and you already mention "walk off".

I called Yellow cab Vancouver since I am local, they said about $90 depending on traffic. I guess I was a little off.

I called Yellow cab Vancouver since I am local, they said about $90 depending on traffic. I guess I was a little off.

So- I would suggest budgeting $120ca. :) I find, so many times, the meter ticks by and always go past what is "stated" as being around the rates. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

I've got a similar question except we'll be making our way to the Tsawwassen ferry terminal after disembarking Radiance of the Seas, and I understand it is some distance from Canada Place. Anybody local that can advise on the price of a cab?

A taxi will be VERY expensive (80-90$). If you have a little more time, it's very doable on Skytrain/bus for $5.50/ea

Exit Canada Place walk one block ahead slightly to your left (ignoring the Waterfront Station sign - which leads you to the wrong platforms). Turn left onto Cordova, and walk another block and a half to Waterfront Station (big brick building on your left). Once you're inside turn immediate left and follow the signs to "Canada Line/Airport". Buy a three zone ($5.50) ticket, and take any Canada Line train (YVR or Brighouse), and get off at BRIDGEPORT station. Go down the escalator/elevators and board the 620 Tsawwassen Ferry Express bus (using the same ticket).

Takes about an hour.

Since rates are fixed by law, taxifarefinder is extremely reliable in Vancouver, Victoria and other nearby locations. They show an average fare just under $90, and at least ~$82 even if the cab never hits a single red light.

If you're traveling early though, you'll hit single-lane traffic at the tunnel (3 lanes inbound at rush hour) which pretty much guarantees adding at least $10 onto the average fare - I would treat every dollar under $100 as a bonus on that cab ride. Even if you aren't enticed to take the bus, I'd suggest Skytrain to Bridgeport per SBs suggestion then a cab from there - should be closer to $60. Any stations further along the line are also further from the route to Tsawassen so won't save any extra $.

If you're going to Victoria, consider Pacific Coach instead. It's likely going to be cheaper than a cab and will get you right to downtown Victoria.

As to OP with an 11:15am flight - get off the ship as soon as they'll let you. If all goes smoothly with customs/immigration at the pier you could be in a cab or on Skytrain and en route within 20-30minutes. You want to be leaving Canada Place no later than 8:45am for a US-bound departure, but frankly the earlier the better - the more fellow-cruisers you beat to YVR, the fewer warm bodies will be filling up the security, customs/immigration queues.

Edited by martincath

I just got a taxi this morning from downtown Vancouver to the airport and the cost was $30 CND. The driver will take a credit card. The trip was early in the morning and not direct from the cruise, but on Friday when we disembarked I noticed lots of taxis. The trip is about 30 mins. Definitely get the earliest number you can to get off the ship as you do have to go through customs and so there is the line for security and the line for customs to potentially delay you. Last Friday, the first off the ship were at 8:20. Vancouver is the best organized port I have experienced and the people are so helpful.

Since rates are fixed by law, taxifarefinder is extremely reliable in Vancouver, Victoria and other nearby locations. They show an average fare just under $90, and at least ~$82 even if the cab never hits a single red light.

If you're traveling early though, you'll hit single-lane traffic at the tunnel (3 lanes inbound at rush hour) which pretty much guarantees adding at least $10 onto the average fare - I would treat every dollar under $100 as a bonus on that cab ride. Even if you aren't enticed to take the bus, I'd suggest Skytrain to Bridgeport per SBs suggestion then a cab from there - should be closer to $60. Any stations further along the line are also further from the route to Tsawassen so won't save any extra $.

If you're going to Victoria, consider Pacific Coach instead. It's likely going to be cheaper than a cab and will get you right to downtown Victoria.

As to OP with an 11:15am flight - get off the ship as soon as they'll let you. If all goes smoothly with customs/immigration at the pier you could be in a cab or on Skytrain and en route within 20-30minutes. You want to be leaving Canada Place no later than 8:45am for a US-bound departure, but frankly the earlier the better - the more fellow-cruisers you beat to YVR, the fewer warm bodies will be filling up the security, customs/immigration queues.

I don't get the logic of taking a taxi from Bridgeport. You're still spending 2/3 the taxi cost; when from Bridgeport the bus is pretty much non-stop to the ferry terminal (it does deke in and out of the Ladner loop, but that's it); and the difference between a 2 zone ($4) Skytrain ride to Bridgeport and a 3 zone ($5.50) ride from downtown all the way to Tsawwassen.

I don't get the logic of taking a taxi from Bridgeport. You're still spending 2/3 the taxi cost; when from Bridgeport the bus is pretty much non-stop to the ferry terminal (it does deke in and out of the Ladner loop, but that's it); and the difference between a 2 zone ($4) Skytrain ride to Bridgeport and a 3 zone ($5.50) ride from downtown all the way to Tsawwassen.

I've learned over years of dealing with tourists that it's actually quite easy to get them to use trains and ferries even if they're from somewhere with crappy transit - but buses can be an emotional, not logical, stumbling block. There's also the luggage issue - Canada Line trains as you know are just dandy, but unless Translink run a completely different model of bus on the Bridgeport-Tsawwassen route there won't be any room for large suitcases.

It's not what I would do, but it seemed worthy of pointing out as the $ savings would easily buy lunch while adding minimal extra effort and avoiding both the 'scary bus' and 'luggage hassle' aspects of transit.

There is always a lineup of taxis waiting.

The Canada Line skytrain is new (built for 2010 Olympics) and might get you to the airport faster than a cab which can get stuck in traffic. It's super easy to use and inexpensive (machines take credit and debit cards) plus just a block from the cruise terminal.

Edited by Van1982

There is always a lineup of taxis waiting.

The Canada Line skytrain is new (built for 2010 Olympics) and might get you to the airport faster than a cab which can get stuck in traffic. It's super easy to use and inexpensive (machines take credit and debit cards) plus just a block from the cruise terminal.

If you can manage your luggage, this is an excellent idea. Fast and efficient.

Pacific Coach Lines also offers a daily service during the cruise season from Canada Place to Victoria via Tsawwassen which may be of interest to ronandannette. Details and pricing are included in the link below. Many cruisers from Victoria find this service to be excellent.

http://www.pacificcoach.com/Vancouver-Cruise-Ship-Terminals-Service