BVE on Golden Princess 7-11-15

trbarton

I did another BVE today on the Golden Princess today in San Francisco. The ship looks great. My first stop was to visit the Horizon Buffet to document how it looks especially without any people in the photos except the buffet staff. Here's photos of the new buffet that was completely rebuilt during the recent dry dock in San Francisco. Everything is brand new.

From the setup in the buffet area (and I have seen this in someone else's photos from I do not remember which ship), it looks as if for embarkation day lunch they have taken the buffet that is on one side of the ship and set it up as two identical areas with the red rope separating the two areas.

If this is the way it is setup, then the number of food choices has been cut in half so that the two areas can be identical in offerings.

From the setup in the buffet area (and I have seen this in someone else's photos from I do not remember which ship), it looks as if for embarkation day lunch they have taken the buffet that is on one side of the ship and set it up as two identical areas with the red rope separating the two areas.

If this is the way it is setup, then the number of food choices has been cut in half so that the two areas can be identical in offerings.

I am surprised they don't do that more often.

Half the amount on each side may cut down on congestion.

It may cut down on congestion, but I would prefer more choices in what is offered.

That was my point instead of having 8 chickens on one side and a 12" bowl of rice on the other, have 4 chickens and a smaller bowl on each side.

That was my point instead of having 8 chickens on one side and a 12" bowl of rice on the other, have 4 chickens and a smaller bowl on each side.

No, it instead of having (for example) noodles, cottage cheese, string beans, fish, pork in one large area, it is having noodles, string beans and pork in two areas, leaving out the other items as there is no longer space for them.

You can see in the pictures the identical items on both sides of the ropes where previously there would be different items in each area.

Edited by caribill

No, it instead of having (for example) noodles, cottage cheese, string beans, fish, pork in one large area, it is having noodles, string beans and pork in two areas, leaving out the other items as there is no longer space for them.

You can see in the pictures the identical items on both sides of the ropes where previously there would be different items in each area.

Wow the Platinum/Elite/Suite embarkation lounge is getting better.

No need to rush to the DR. :eek:

I've been reading this thread and still don't know what BVE stands for.

Please enlighten me. :confused:

Here's what the Bon Voyage Experience is. For $39 you get to board the ship early before everyone. First there is the boarding photo that you pick up latter. They offer a short tour and you get lunch in the Main Dinning Room with a glass of wine. Yesterday a friend that was traveling with me order 2 expresso's and was not charged anything. You are free to tour the ship on your own just like everyone going on the cruise. I rushed up to the buffet so you can see my buffet photos with nobody in them so you can see what it really looks like. You have to be off the ship around 3 pm. Not all ports or cruises offer this. You need to contact Princess to see what's available as they have limited space. The $39 can be applied towards another cruise if booked within 3 months.

Any other questions please ask.

Tom:D

Here's what the Bon Voyage Experience is. For $39 you get to board the ship early before everyone. First there is the boarding photo that you pick up latter. They offer a short tour and you get lunch in the Main Dinning Room with a glass of wine. Yesterday a friend that was traveling with me order 2 expresso's and was not charged anything. You are free to tour the ship on your own just like everyone going on the cruise. I rushed up to the buffet so you can see my buffet photos with nobody in them so you can see what it really looks like. You have to be off the ship around 3 pm. Not all ports or cruises offer this. You need to contact Princess to see what's available as they have limited space. The $39 can be applied towards another cruise if booked within 3 months.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like something we might like to do in the future.

Wow the Platinum/Elite/Suite embarkation lounge is getting better.

No need to rush to the DR. :eek:

At pier 27?

All I saw is a bunch of chairs full of people with no place to sit at 11:45. No coffee, juice or snacks like at other ports.

Tom,

Thanks for this info. Hope this isn't too dumb a question but is the BVE only for those who aren't booked for that cruise? Or can someone who is booked for the cruise can they also sign up for the BVE? I'm sorry if this has already been covered on CC. Thanks.

Joe

BVE is for non-pax. Our son and his wife, who took us to the pier in SFO, did it (we paid as a thank you for taking us and picking us up) so the 4 of us had a great time walking the ship, them getting to see our cabin, having a nice MDR lunch together, etc.

The only bad part was they had to get off the ship . . . but our consolation was we got to stay on and start our cruise! ;)

BVE is for non-pax. Our son and his wife, who took us to the pier in SFO, did it (we paid as a thank you for taking us and picking us up) so the 4 of us had a great time walking the ship, them getting to see our cabin, having a nice MDR lunch together, etc.

The only bad part was they had to get off the ship . . . but our consolation was we got to stay on and start our cruise! ;)

Thanks KruzeKrazy! That makes more sense. Thanks again for answering.

At pier 27?

All I saw is a bunch of chairs full of people with no place to sit at 11:45. No coffee, juice or snacks like at other ports.

On the other side of the room where there was chairs there was a beverage station. Since I don't drink coffee I didn't go there to see what other things that they offered. If I'm there again I'll take some photos so that people can see exactly what's there. Yesterday was unusual because they started letting people into the terminal early. In the past it was mainly the BVE people sitting in the terminal. I was there and someone in our group went over and got some coffee.

Tom:cool:

Tom,

Thanks for this info. Hope this isn't too dumb a question but is the BVE only for those who aren't booked for that cruise? Or can someone who is booked for the cruise can they also sign up for the BVE? I'm sorry if this has already been covered on CC. Thanks.

Joe

I can't figure out why anyone would want BVE if they were already on the cruise.

Thanks KruzeKrazy! That makes more sense. Thanks again for answering.

PLUS you get to board with your guests and BVE board after weddings and before Elite/Suite/Platinum/In Transit (if the port personnel know what they are doing).

Edited by JF - retired RRT

It's a "Bon Voyage" experience. That means if you took yourself for the BVE, you would have to get off the ship to wave "bon voyage" at yourself. Or something. :D

Thanks. Knowing me it would be "Or something". [emoji4]

I can't figure out why anyone would want BVE if they were already on the cruise.

The only thing I can think of is someone trying to get on the ship before the rest of the cruisers. I did preface my original question as possibly dumb. [emoji6]

Edited by Jojiboy

PLUS you get to board with your guests and BVE board after weddings and before Elite/Suite/Platinum/In Transit (if the port personnel know what they are doing).

Thanks. Might be a nice gesture for one of our sons if he drops us off for our next cruise.