Which famous person was on your cruise?

JCJR

Some of you may have confused Mick Jones of Foreigner with someone else. Anyway, having worked with lots of "celebrities" professionally, it's true what someone said below--most of the ones who appear in front of a camera or on a stage are barely recognizable without their makeup, wardrobe, hair etc. I was on NCL Pearl with a ship full of Grammy-nominated rock "celebrities" by accident. So help me I rode an elevator with Ann Wilson of Heart and had no idea until some guy told me after she got out. I was next to Emmylou Harris, swaying to music and smiling at each other--and had no idea it was her until she wished me a good night in her unmistakable voice. My idea of a "celebrity" was meeting the famous football coach from Grambling University Eddie Robinson aboard Song of America. My guess is if you're a celebrity with the wealth that goes along, you're chartering a yacht, not getting on a cruise ship with 3000 others.

My idea of a "celebrity" was meeting the famous football coach from Grambling University Eddie Robinson aboard Song of America. My guess is if you're a celebrity with the wealth that goes along, you're chartering a yacht, not getting on a cruise ship with 3000 others.

Yep! Or owning that yacht!

when I heard about that Royal Caribbean law suit against John Travolta few years back, my thoughts were why the heck would he want to go on a Royal Caribbean cruise when he could probably have his own yacht or at least charter one as you said? and if he did not want to spend that kind of money then why not pick a line like Crystal?

Yep! Or owning that yacht!

when I heard about that Royal Caribbean law suit against John Travolta few years back, my thoughts were why the heck would he want to go on a Royal Caribbean cruise when he could probably have his own yacht or at least charter one as you said? and if he did not want to spend that kind of money then why not pick a line like Crystal?

Some celebs have chartered ENTIRE cruise ships. I was on an Alaska cruise once (Celebrity), and was told Bill Gates had chartered an entire cruise shortly before ours. I remember a tour bus driver telling us that Gates had requested over 100 limos to meet the ship in either Juneau or Ketchikan for his entourage. The funny thing was, at that time anyway, there were less than a dozen limos in the entire state :). The poor things had to get by with busses!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78
spelling

My guess is if you're a celebrity with the wealth that goes along, you're chartering a yacht, not getting on a cruise ship with 3000 others.

Actually, the celebrity I cruised with owns a huge yacht, but cruised on NCL because it is significantly cheaper to be in a Garden Villa and take several other suites for the rest of his entourage than running his yacht actively for 2 weeks. Even though he is wealthy, he isn't stupid with his money. Basically it costs around 10% of what the yacht is worth to keep it running for a year. A $10M yacht, will cost $1M per year to run (crew plus upkeep.) A $50M yacht will cost $5M per year to run. In addition, the yacht owner has to pay all these additional expenses on his own yacht every time he sails in it:

Fuel Cost

Provisions expense (for guests as the owners always pays provisions for the crew)

Port fees/gratuities

Air and ground transportation for owner and guests to meet the yacht

Excursions

Entertainment onboard

It all adds up making sailing in a suite on a cruise line a much better deal, especially if the celebrity's anonymity can be protected and the celebrity can enjoy a peaceful vacation.

Actually, the celebrity I cruised with owns a huge yacht, but cruised on NCL because it is significantly cheaper to be in a Garden Villa and take several other suites for the rest of his entourage than running his yacht actively for 2 weeks. Even though he is wealthy, he isn't stupid with his money. Basically it costs around 10% of what the yacht is worth to keep it running for a year. A $10M yacht, will cost $1M per year to run (crew plus upkeep.) A $50M yacht will cost $5M per year to run. In addition, the yacht owner has to pay all these additional expenses on his own yacht every time he sails in it:

Fuel Cost

Provisions expense (for guests as the owners always pays provisions for the crew)

Port fees/gratuities

Excursions

Entertainment onboard

It all adds up making sailing in a suite on a cruise line a much better deal, especially if the celebrity's anonymity can be protected and the celebrity can enjoy a peaceful vacation.

......now you can see how your friend amassed his wealth......smart unlike all those TMZ "celebrities" that ride around in fancy cars going to strip clubs will be bankrupt in ten years.....can you say "Fitty cent"?

Actually, the celebrity I cruised with owns a huge yacht, but cruised on NCL because it is significantly cheaper to be in a Garden Villa and take several other suites for the rest of his entourage than running his yacht actively for 2 weeks.

Yacht, NCL, yacht, NCL, yacht, NCL. (imagine me palms up acting like a scale)

Hmmmm.

Yep...I'd have to opt for the yacht. :D

In my experience 'established' celebrities, when traveling for pleasure, generally choose ships that cater to affluent passenger. Passengers on these ships typically treat celebrities like fellow passengers and let them enjoy their time out of the lime light by not falling all over them. I've traveled with many famous people over the years and while one or two of them were demanding or even a little arrogant they were a very small minority. The few that thought they were Gods gift to the world made it quickly into celebrity oblivion ;). It isn't uncommon for the really famous to be the first to start a conversation with fellow passengers. Such celebrities were and continue to be a treat to travel with.

Yacht, NCL, yacht, NCL, yacht, NCL. (imagine me palms up acting like a scale)

Hmmmm.

Yep...I'd have to opt for the yacht. :D

I've got to go along with you on this. The $1 million in upkeep for a $10 million yacht is fixed expense, whether it is used or not, so that doesn't come into the equation if you've decided to own the yacht. And if you own the yacht, but don't use it and cruise on a ship, that doesn't sound too frugal to me, to waste the million a year for nothing.

All of the costs listed for actually running the yacht, except fuel, is directly equivalent to the cabin fare and dining/drinking/entertainment up charges that the entourage would cost for the cruise.

A friend of mine was a long time Captain of the yacht owned by the founder of Ryder Truck Rentals. While expensive (Mr. Ryder would routinely give him $10-20k in cash for expenses), the level of service, attention to detail, privacy, and flexibility was unmatched by any suite or "private area" on any cruise ship, even for someone who was not a "celebrity" that would be recognized everywhere.

Fuel Cost

Port fees/gratuities

Excursions

Entertainment onboard

When I was a kid the Duke and Duchess of Windsor were aboard the QE2 with us.

On the HAL Noordam a few years ago Lauren Bacall was rumored to have been in the Penthouse Suite, we never saw her, but, it was mysterious and fun.

Jonathan

....I got to ask.....you didn't ask them for Grey Poupon did you?........:eek:

But of course and the good Duke obliged with a selection of four mustards neatly arranged on shiny silver charger with the Windsor seal embossed on it.

;)

Jonathan

All of the costs listed for actually running the yacht, except fuel, is directly equivalent to the cabin fare and dining/drinking/entertainment up charges that the entourage would cost for the cruise.

I was told the yacht would be 6 times more expensive to sail than sailing in the suites on the ship. I believe the gasoline alone was 500 litres per hour.

I was told the yacht would be 6 times more expensive to sail than sailing in the suites on the ship. I believe the gasoline alone was 500 litres per hour.

Well, all I can say is that anyone who buys a yacht for ten million bucks or more, and puts gasoline engines in it, deserves to leave it sit and cost him a million for a "paperweight". And, of course, the 600 ltr/hr is for top speed, which of course you'd want to do all the time anyway. :o Same mechanics applies to yachts as cruise ships, fuel consumption varies exponentially with speed, which is why the cruise ships are no longer flying around the Caribbean.

There is a misconception that many 'media' celebrities own big yachts and stay away from cruise ships. Industry heads and the hedge fund folks are typically the players in the mid to mega yacht crowd. Some of these water toys can get expensive too (recently a Russian billionaire went to the front of the class with his $3 BILLION dollar toy). You guys can do the upkeep math per year :eek:. For $3 billion you could buy QM2 and a few other ships plus several cases of Grey Poupon ;).

In the last several years I've seen a rise in the number of media people/celebrities that have found cruising to be a relaxing and enjoyable way to travel or to get to a destination while avoiding air travel. Years ago the smart ones would typically sign a contract to do a total of four one hour shows or lectures per cruise, mingle with passengers a bit and in return be provided with a penthouse suite, quality accommodations for their group and manager plus a nice little honorarium. As a production manager and prior to retiring I would sometimes be invited to produce celebrity shows aboard some wonderful ships. Now a mere mortal, I once again have to to pay for my cruises - just like everybody else :D.

While some of the artists I represented had impressive boats none had any interest in owning a mega yacht - even though they all could afford one.

...While some of the artists I represented had impressive boats none had any interest in owning a mega yacht - even though they all could afford one.

I don't think that I'd want one, even if I could afford one--too much of a target for evil-doers these days :(.

James Taylor on our QM2 crossing last September. Wonderful private concert and graciously signed tickets records cds for hours on end. Marvelous man.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Now THAT'S some serious celebrity power.

Most of them would be safe with me. Was sitting in a restaurant next to Arsenio Hall. He spilled his drink and I jumped up to get a waiter to help (I'm a regular). After he left the waiter told me who he was. Didn't have a clue.

Who? (Just kidding.) I know exactly what you mean. I'm totally oblivious to most other people who aren't directly related to me and some who are.

Roger McGuinn (of the Byrds) was on our transatlantic cruise, but I discount that since he obviously was either comped or paid by the line to be onboard. The entertainment director interviewed him in the theater and he performed once or twice.

After one of the Christmas cruises everyone was atwitter about having seen Whoopi Goldberg walking the promenade deck for hours on end. I felt badly for having seen her without recognizing her. The following Christmas cruise I saw the same woman onboard and she wasn't Whoopi.

Oh, I am sure but when you are worth a hundreds of millions that is nothing in order to have privacy instead of gawking.

The way I see it if I could afford it I would definitely cruise Oceania; or better yet Crystal, ( I doubt I could ever financially do better than Oceania lol!) but yet I have cruised lines like RCI, NCL. Celebrity, since they fit my pocketbook much better. A couple of times, I have got a mini suite, and once I got a suite (30th anniversary celebration) Anyway, my point, if I would go better if I could afford it, why would not someone wealthy?

Sure those yachts are a huge amount of money to people like me, and perhaps pricey for even someone like Brad and Angelina, but for them it could be equal to my going to a 4 star restaurant instead of Cracker Barrel. I may can afford to go more often to Cracker Barrel but I prefer better.

Some celebs have chartered ENTIRE cruise ships. I was on an Alaska cruise once (Celebrity), and was told Bill Gates had chartered an entire cruise shortly before ours. I remember a tour bus driver telling us that Gates had requested over 100 limos to meet the ship in either Juneau or Ketchikan for his entourage. The funny thing was, at that time anyway, there were less than a dozen limos in the entire state :). The poor things had to get by with busses!

Yes, Rosy O'Donell does it yearly. However, I do not put john Travolta in the same class financially as her. I am sure he is worth much more. Why would he charter a RCI ship when he could charter Crystal? Because he was bringing 6000 friends with him?

Yes, Rosy O'Donell does it yearly. However, I do not put john Travolta in the same class financially as her. I am sure he is worth much more. Why would he charter a RCI ship when he could charter Crystal? Because he was bringing 6000 friends with him?

Beats me. Maybe he wanted to go rock-climbing :)?

Rosy O'Donell?..........:eek::eek:.......What ever ship she sails now THAT Captain earns his/her pay just trying to ballast the ship.........;):eek: