Which famous person was on your cruise?

JCJR

1 hour ago, Buck Turgidson said:

Roger Mcguinn, from the Byrds on  a Cunard cruise. 

Many years ago the Byrds were in a concert in NYC and it was filmed.I was at the concert but had no idea that I was in the film until 18 years later when someone I knew took out a VHS tape and played it and said OMG ,....... is in the crowd scene and called me.

• Thanks 1

Never noticed nor recognized anyone "famous" on a ship.   But, I know the dad of Kate Chastain (the chief stewardess on "Below Deck) - does that count in a nautical way 😉

I live in a town that has actors, musicians, athletes, reality "stars" either living or visiting.  So, I see  different people at the market, the coffee shop, wherever, all the time.  I also work and have worked at a few high-end resort hotels.  The "talent" I've seen run that gamut from the most down-to-earth and quiet people to the most obnoxious "do you know who I am" jackasses.   I've had "talent" check in and I still ask for ID: if they have a stage name, I will always refer to them by either their ID name or the alias they have given.  The nice ones - they appreciate being treated as a normal human being and they don't always book the best room in the hotel and don't whine they get what they booked.   We have some huge conferences here, too, with some world-class people in attendance from politics, human rights, philanthropy.  You get used to it and the accompanying bodyguards, troopers, Secret Service.  I do like it when someone comes up to the Front Desk, identifies themselves with their official ID - I know they are "working" and not "stalking."  

I won't drop names, although I'm dying to!   (OK, one - I had to deal with Harvey Weinstein one week, somehow I became the assistant to his assistant "he needs that film down to the theater NOW", "he wants his ice made with Fiji Water", "he needs the rooms on both sides of his empty NOW"...)

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 8:43 PM, lenquixote66 said:

Many years ago the Byrds were in a concert in NYC and it was filmed.I was at the concert but had no idea that I was in the film until 18 years later when someone I knew took out a VHS tape and played it and said OMG ,....... is in the crowd scene and called me.

I also saw Byrd’s in the Filmore east about 50 years ago. 

47 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Never noticed nor recognized anyone "famous" on a ship.   But, I know the dad of Kate Chastain (the chief stewardess on "Below Deck) - does that count in a nautical way 😉

I live in a town that has actors, musicians, athletes, reality "stars" either living or visiting.  So, I see  different people at the market, the coffee shop, wherever, all the time.  I also work and have worked at a few high-end resort hotels.  The "talent" I've seen run that gamut from the most down-to-earth and quiet people to the most obnoxious "do you know who I am" jackasses.   I've had "talent" check in and I still ask for ID: if they have a stage name, I will always refer to them by either their ID name or the alias they have given.  The nice ones - they appreciate being treated as a normal human being and they don't always book the best room in the hotel and don't whine they get what they booked.   We have some huge conferences here, too, with some world-class people in attendance from politics, human rights, philanthropy.  You get used to it and the accompanying bodyguards, troopers, Secret Service.  I do like it when someone comes up to the Front Desk, identifies themselves with their official ID - I know they are "working" and not "stalking."  

I won't drop names, although I'm dying to!   (OK, one - I had to deal with Harvey Weinstein one week, somehow I became the assistant to his assistant "he needs that film down to the theater NOW", "he wants his ice made with Fiji Water", "he needs the rooms on both sides of his empty NOW"...)

We don't have to look.....We house sit often for our oldest daughter...she lives behind two guarded gates....no need to say more.

9 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We don't have to look.....We house sit often for our oldest daughter...she lives behind two guarded gates....no need to say more.

When we lived at Lake Tahoe there were plenty of super rich who weren't famous.  Just had a spare $20 or $30 million lying about.  And those are the second homes!

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

"do you know who I am" jackasses.  

Since I got this from the horse's mouth I don't mind repeating.  Back when Caitlyn Jenner was still Bruce he had a second home at Lake Tahoe.  He showed up at one of the local golf courses without a tee time.  He was nicely told to go hit some balls and they could get him on in about 45 minutes.  At which pointed he said "do you know who I am."  They did and still told him to go away.  I figure if he was a jerk as a man he's likely a jerk as a woman.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, clo said:

Since I got this from the horse's mouth I don't mind repeating.  Back when Caitlyn Jenner was still Bruce he had a second home at Lake Tahoe.  He showed up at one of the local golf courses without a tee time.  He was nicely told to go hit some balls and they could get him on in about 45 minutes.  At which pointed he said "do you know who I am."  They did and still told him to go away.  I figure if he was a jerk as a man he's likely a jerk as a woman.

Several of his family members are jerks as neighbors as well !

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

That may have been the one that I was referencing. I went to a lot of concerts at the Fillmore East.

I still have a program from there , always three acts like Byrd’s , Allman brothers etc at cost of 3.50. It was only open for a few years .

4 minutes ago, George C said:

I still have a program from there , always three acts like Byrd’s , Allman brothers etc at cost of 3.50. It was only open for a few years .

The Fillmore opened in 1968 and closed in 1971.I saw Jefferson Airplane,the Byrds and Iron Butterfly.I also saw the FUGS.I never paid an admission price I used to go with people who got in for free and nobody asked me to ever pay.

I did miss out on meeting the Beach Boys.

A friend of mine flew corporate jets. One day, he calls and asks what I am doing that evening.  I told him I was home sick, and was REALLY sick.

He told me he was flying the Beach Boys from concert to concert, and they were local to me that evening.  See the concert, backstage, meet the group, etc

And I was REALLY so sick, I had to turn down the chance.  BUMMER.

11 hours ago, SRF said:

I did miss out on meeting the Beach Boys.

A friend of mine flew corporate jets. One day, he calls and asks what I am doing that evening.  I told him I was home sick, and was REALLY sick.

He told me he was flying the Beach Boys from concert to concert, and they were local to me that evening.  See the concert, backstage, meet the group, etc

And I was REALLY so sick, I had to turn down the chance.  BUMMER.

Wow that stinks, sorry to hear. Kind of related...

When I was a radio announcer I would get a lot of concert tickets and backstage passes. Most people who go back stage find out beyond getting your picture taken with the 'star', there is nothing else. It's a cattle call.

I got tired of the game, so when a group of us including my wife were going to see Garth Brooks, I gave my backstage pass to our HR director. When they came back my wife was glowing. He took them to his dressing room, served them food and beverages, and also gave them pictures (personally signed) and swag. Then he asked about kids and my wife shared that our son had fairly recently had open heart surgery at five months old. Garth shared that he had a nephew go threw the same and on and on. After twenty minutes the group started to mention that they should probably get going and he said, "no worries, they won't start without me." My wife who had been to many of these things was blown away. She said he made it all about the group and didn't want it about him.

Yea, I wish I would have gone. But I was so happy for the group to get that opportunity.

• Like 2

We do charter music cruises, ours is called rock and romance which has 70’s artist Micheal McDonald, America, Boz Skaggs, BJ Thomas etc etc , cool thing is you see them all over the ship in elevator etc and they also sign CDs etc , there are also 50’s , 60’s , disco , soul , country etc , not cheap but incredible entertainment.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, George C said:

We do charter music cruises, ours is called rock and romance which has 70’s artist Micheal McDonald, America, Boz Skaggs, BJ Thomas etc etc , cool thing is you see them all over the ship in elevator etc and they also sign CDs etc , there are also 50’s , 60’s , disco , soul , country etc , not cheap but incredible entertainment.

Isn't it a bit sad that artists we looked up to and revered are now demeaned into to selling their autographs for $5. 

I know they probably got scammed out of their royalties,  and were badly managed, but somehow I want to see my idols on a stage, not on an elevator in a cruuse ship!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Isn't it a bit sad that artists we looked up to and revered are now demeaned into to selling their autographs for $5. 

I know they probably got scammed out of their royalties,  and were badly managed, but somehow I want to see my idols on a stage, not on an elevator in a cruuse ship!

They all do concerts of course, I love there stories of performing with Beatles and Dylan , live music from about 2pm to 2am. 

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

You are totally wrong, a few artist I mentioned are worth 40 million so they do not need money, they like meeting fans and the other artist on the ship, there was one artist who was supposed to get off but stayed on since he was having such a good time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, clo said:

One of my all-time faves.

I was at his first last performance. 😄

We were in Nashville and did the late Saturday show at the Opry.  Garth was the featured performer.  He did about 6 - 7 songs instead of the usual 1.

On Monday he announced he was retiring.  COOL, we were at his LAST show.

About Thursday, he unretired. 😄

7 hours ago, George C said:

We really want to try one of those.