Yes I Complain, but also Compliment

Anyone who has read any of my reviews knows I'm not shy about critiquing things on a cruise, be it RCI or anywhere else.

WELLLL, here's a major THUMBS UP to RCI for going above and beyond.

At the end of this latest review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2207877

I hesitantly told the story of my closest friend dying 6 hours before we were to meet for our May cruise on AOS. Yesterday, I learned that Royal had refunded both his and his wife's cruise fare in full. Not future cruise credit, not OBC ---- full cash refund with even an expression of condolence.

Now Royal had absolutely zero obligation to do anything. We were within 36 hours of embarkation. My friend indeed had travel insurance but RCI's action made it unnecessary for his widow to go through the claims process. At a time like that, ANY relief from the paperwork attendant to a death is greatly appreciated.

As much as I criticize and make fun of certain things, I have never been one to demand "compensation" for little annoyances like delays or missed ports. Honestly, had I been, there is no way I would do so in the future after this totally gratuitous and hugely appreciated gesture from Royal.

And now you know the rest of the story.

Kudos to Royal! Seriously.

I was just reading yesterday (in a post on a comparison thread, RCI vs PCL) about a situation wherein a man died on a beach, I forget which island. He and his wife were passengers on a PCL sailing. Apparently, the wife encountered a much different response to her tragedy. The issue wasn't really about lost fare or the like, but more about how she was (or in this case, wasn't) treated upon notifying the cruise line of the death. It was really disappointing to hear.

Anyway, reading this today about RCI restored some good feelings. Everything these days is about the money. Really nice to see something otherwise for a change. Thanks for sharing this with us.

JohnGalt - just saw the post regarding your friend. My condolences - your farewell soiree sounds like just the thing.

As for Royal, having lost my father an unbelievable 4 weeks ago, I can only say bless them for sparing his wife one more "chore" to get through. Anyone here who has lost a loved one knows all the hoops that have to be jumped through during that time. For Royal to step up and make it just that much easier is a brilliant gesture.

Thanks all.

It has been a pretty difficult time for her so what RCI did was incredibly gracious.

Again, I have no problem talking about deficiencies but I also truly believe when a company goes above and beyond, it should be noted.

Wolfgang, you are invited to the party on July 26 (his 63rd birthday) BUT I don't guarantee when you will get home. LOL

Edited by JohnGaltny

Kudos to Royal -- a very generous gesture.

John, I stumbled upon your post, and then went back to read your review. I'm so sorry for your loss. It is difficult, and it will be difficult, and, at least for me, the passing of time doesn't help.

I've lost lately 2 close friends, one of an aneurysm (2 hrs after I spoke with her she was gone). It makes me sad -- I look at life as a long journey we started together [by train], and I feel that my friends left me on different stops along, and I am to continue what's left of it [i'm 64] without them, instead of sharing the hardships and the joys with them.

Dani[ela]

Anyone who has read any of my reviews knows I'm not shy about critiquing things on a cruise, be it RCI or anywhere else.

At the end of this latest review http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2207877

I hesitantly told the story of my closest friend dying 6 hours before we were to meet for our May cruise on AOS. Yesterday, I learned that Royal had refunded both his and his wife's cruise fare in full. Not future cruise credit, not OBC ---- full cash refund with even an expression of condolence.

Now Royal had absolutely zero obligation to do anything. We were within 36 hours of embarkation. My friend indeed had travel insurance but RCI's action made it unnecessary for his widow to go through the claims process. At a time like that, ANY relief from the paperwork attendant to a death is greatly appreciated.

As much as I criticize and make fun of certain things, I have never been one to demand "compensation" for little annoyances like delays or missed ports. Honestly, had I been, there is no way I would do so in the future after this totally gratuitous and hugely appreciated gesture from Royal.

So sorry about their loss. But yes, sometimes Royal does step up! My nephew's partners father died one year right before we cruised and same thing, Royal reimbursed the fare with no issue. They were great about it.

Edited by karena1

I lost my husband suddenly on the very day we were supposed to leave on a cruise a year and a half ago. We had no insurance, but Royal immediately refunded the full amount of our cruise fares. Needless to say, Royal has earned my continued loyalty for their compassion at a time I needed it most.

Warms my heart