Summit Afternoon Tea question

Fish Lover

Either at the buffet or in the Aqua Spa area -- you'll find scones, tea sandwiches, beverages. It is self serve. There is no charge for this.

On some cruises there is also an Elegant Tea event one afternoon, for a charge, held in one of the restaurants. It is a sit-down affair, with table service. You may also find a Champagne Elegant Tea, but check into it, the champagne may be optional and all you would pay for is the Elegant Tea.

I know there is afternoon tea served on every ship. I haven't been on Summit in years so I don't know what is offered on there. We were just on Eclipse and the afternoon tea was amazing. Maybe it was because there were so many Brits on the cruise. We had 3 kinds of open face sandwiches, a potted pudding (different each day), lots of wonderful cakes and the not to be missed scones, cream and jam.

On other ships, I have just seen the scones, sometimes sandwiches or little buns but nothing like what we had on Eclipse. I'm hoping what we had is the new afternoon tea and that you will see that on Summit also.

Either at the buffet or in the Aqua Spa area -- you'll find scones, tea sandwiches, beverages. It is self serve. There is no charge for this.

On some cruises there is also an Elegant Tea event one afternoon, for a charge, held in one of the restaurants. It is a sit-down affair, with table service. You may also find a Champagne Elegant Tea, but check into it, the champagne may be optional and all you would pay for is the Elegant Tea.

Is there a charge for the "Elegant Tea" for Suite guests?

Hi,

I have read that there is an afternoon tea served on board. Can anyone tell me when, where, and what is served?

Thanks!

I was on Summit last month, it is held in the Aqua Spa café in the Solarium. They served scones, other pastries, jelly donuts, and really good cookies. Didn't notice anything about the tea since I drank Ice Tea but I usually spend a lot of time in the Solarium and it was a pleasant surprise. No charge for this...

Edited by dkjretired

Do you know what time this is served? My mom really wants to go to an afternoon tea.

Do you know if they have a specialty tea (even for extra money) such as one a prior poster described?

Thanks again for the responses.

I think it is usually available from 3:30 to 4:30 each day. You can check the activities sheet which says when all the various meals are served in each venue.

There is an assortment of teas available at the coffee/tea station in the buffet. Or you can get more fancy teas at Al Bacio (for a fee - unless you have the drinks package). I loved the Bombay chai. They have herbal teas, green tea, oolong, English Breakfast....I forget what else. About 6 or 7 different kinds. You could pick up a fancy tea to-go and then head up to the buffet for your tea snacks.

On our recent cruise on the Eclipse we asked (jokingly) if they had gluten free scones. The response was (seriously) yes! So my husband had some gf scones with jam and cream. He was happy about that. Just an FYI to any gf-ers out there. :)

Do you know what time this is served? My mom really wants to go to an afternoon tea.

Do you know if they have a specialty tea (even for extra money) such as one a prior poster described?

Thanks again for the responses.

Don't know about the speciality teas, I wouldn't know what they are anyway. It just checked my dailies, it said 4 to 5P.M.

Edited by dkjretired

Hi,

I have read that there is an afternoon tea served on board. Can anyone tell me when, where, and what is served?

Thanks!

In case some of the above replies are confusing: Celebrity no longer offers a complimentary "proper" Afternoon Tea for most cruisers. By proper afternoon tea I mean a sit down affair with table service including courses of sandwiches and savories and desserts and sweets. A proper Afternoon Tea is also frequently called High Tea in the USA although I understand this means something very different in the UK.

The Afternoon Tea referred to in the above postings as being in the buffet or Aqua Spa is a self serve buffet which has some tea sandwiches and sweets. There is no special tea service other than the snacks.

The Elite, or Elegant, Tea is an event for Elite Captain's Club members and above which is a sit down tea service once a cruise which is a very basic Afternoon Tea. The tea served is the same complimentary tea offered at most meals and in the buffet.

There is also an extra cost and very proper Afternoon Tea offered once during most cruises in a specialty restaurant. It is, or was, called a Champagne Tea and the basic price included a glass of Champagne, or a sparkling wine, with a lower price if one did not want the wine. The tea offered is (or was) a nice quality loose leaf tea.

Edited by Lsimon

If you are going to Bermuda, maybe you should look into afternoon tea on land somewhere. A quick Google search showed that there are a few places that offer afternoon tea.

I've enjoyed it several times at our King Edward hotel here in Toronto and it is a lovely experience. We used to take my mom, but now it is way too expensive. But it's nice to experience at least once.

If the ship is only offering the self-serve option and not the elegant one, then it isn't the same thing. We enjoyed the scones and open-face sandwiches on the ship, but it really isn't anything like the formal afternoon tea offered in hotels and such. You might want to look into something like that if you have time in Bermuda.

I know there is afternoon tea served on every ship. I haven't been on Summit in years so I don't know what is offered on there. We were just on Eclipse and the afternoon tea was amazing. Maybe it was because there were so many Brits on the cruise. We had 3 kinds of open face sandwiches, a potted pudding (different each day), lots of wonderful cakes and the not to be missed scones, cream and jam.

On other ships, I have just seen the scones, sometimes sandwiches or little buns but nothing like what we had on Eclipse. I'm hoping what we had is the new afternoon tea and that you will see that on Summit also.

Sounds lovely. Is afternoon tea available every day, or once per cruise?

We are less than eight weeks away from our fourth cruise on the Summit.

On some cruises, the Normandie Restaurant offers a champagne afternoon tea (for an additional charge) which is a semi-proper Afternoon Tea (not to be confused with Browns Hotel in London, which sets the standard for Champagne (or not) Afternoon Tea for two, at a cost of a mere 115.00 Sterling plus 12.5%).

On the Bermuda run, the Summit offers the Elite Afternoon Tea by reservation, at no charge, for the Elite, on Thursday afternoon.

Cheers!

Derek and Katherine