Split

Also I am not sure your itinerary but I would not recommend doing an excursion in each and every port and Split is one that you might want to just go into town or even tot the beach.

But I would check out the boards that CruiserBruce recommended because he is right.

Keith

I was on the NCL Jade mid June and we went to Split. We took a river cruise tour that included a light snack and wine at a stop and then a bus back to town. For some reason I thought it was going to be a larger boat...but it was underwhelming. It was nice enough, but it was on a small 24 passenger boat where we all sat hip to hip with a tiny shade over our heads. By the time we go back, we had no time to explore on our own and the river cruise was not quite what I had expected. So, if I had it to do over again or we went back I would definitely go it on our own. The most interesting part was the walled city and we toured it quickly with our guide at then end with no real time to even buy a souvenir. We actually dived into a shop during the tour and bought two magnets and then ran to catch up with the group!

Split is lovely...no need to do a ship tour. It's literally just a few blocks from the port...

Enjoy!!!

Edited by 01 Cobra

Do a web search. You ought to be able to pick up a local guide for a tour of Diocletian's Palace, which is just about all of the old town. Or, see if you can get a local tour of Trogir.

Edited by CPT Trips

Do a web search. You ought to be able to pick up a local guide for a tour of Diocletian's Palace, which is just about all of the old town. Or, see if you can get a local tour of Trogir.

Yes, the old town of Split was built right into the Roman emperor's palace. We visited without a guide many years ago, but I would have enjoyed a local guide for more insight.

Split is a tender port and the tender quay is right downtown....it is all extremely walkable and a very interesting city. We did take an one hour independent coach tour to the newer parts of the city and outlying areas but everything you really want to see is right downtown a few yards from the tender quay.

Yes, the old town of Split was built right into the Roman emperor's palace. We visited without a guide many years ago, but I would have enjoyed a local guide for more insight.

Our guide had keys to several locked buildings. I don't know whether that is unusual or not, but definitely worthwhile. He also pointed out things that we would have missed.

You definitely want to find a map. Many of the streets are only a few feet wide and I thought they were just alleys.

Remember to have some 5 kuna coins for comfort stops.