Raising gratuities again!

HoopTroop

ncl supposedly released quarterly earning yesterday after the bell.

lets see how the stock does today.

down 5% premarket?! but VERY light volume.. only 6k shares

Perhaps, there might be a need to re-adjust gratuities again - for the third time. All those prepaid gratuities, deposits and FCR are held in escrows and not co-mingled with general funds for operating cash flow, right ??

Just saw this - results & conference calls rescheduled ?? now for August 4 -

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/globenewswire/10143243.htm

More rumors will likely be flying - prospecting for more questions and downgrade by other analysts on the "Street" ...what happened to yesterday's scheduled one :rolleyes:

Perhaps, there might be a need to re-adjust gratuities again - for the third time. All those prepaid gratuities, deposits and FCR are held in escrows and not co-mingled with general funds for operating cash flow, right ??

Just saw this - results & conference calls rescheduled ?? now for August 4 -

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/globenewswire/10143243.htm

More rumors will likely be flying - prospecting for more questions and downgrade by other analysts on the "Street" ...what happened to yesterday's scheduled one :rolleyes:

postpone of quarterly #s? that's not a good sign.

link to downgrade by other analysts on the "Street"?

postpone of quarterly #s? that's not a good sign.

link to downgrade by other analysts on the "Street"?

Right at this moment, it is still the "prospect" or outlook for downgrade by the Street, nothing released yet - ahead of the the earnings data that was originally planned for yesterday ... unexplained. Not all the analysts following were bullish on NCLH and this latest "shift" raised more questions about its finances.

Profit-taking off the table - at least partially - would be a smart move for the average investor to lock in the gains.

While doing some "research" on Bloomberg, came across this salary table on Glassdoor - interesting, seemed like they could / should give a boost to their PCC, but not out of gratuities ... If those #'s are correct, hourly rate of under $12 for part-time PCC, even fast food workers in NY are aiming higher nowadays @ $15 p/h http://www.glassdoor.com/Salary/Norwegian-Cruise-Line-Salaries-E9937.htm?utm_source=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bloomberg.com%2Fquote%2FNCLH%3AUS&utm_medium=widget&utm_campaign=Combo-Emp&utm_content=headline

I stand by my previous guess of cash flow problems.
We are all speculating :D but I concur, along with a # of other CC's here - and, at least one Wall Street firm tracking the stock was cautious.

Just realized that this delayed earnings result is being released on the same day as the NCL "Huge Announcement" http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2236858 leaked out last week planned for August 4th. - very interesting. The financials are there and no matter what, it can't be "changed" - just a matter of presentation, explaining and putting the best spins on it ...

Forward plans for ships going to Asia & Aussie do not change the results of NCLH's previous financial quarter either. Their margins on the financials are likely, far beyond collecting extra gratuities and/or raising them again can solve ... if they are indeed running off course with the headings. Another week of water-cooler stories and we will hopefully know more.

Edited by mking8288

We are all speculating :D but I concur, along with a # of other CC's here - and, at least one Wall Street firm tracking the stock was cautious.

Just realized that this delayed earnings result is being released on the same day as the NCL "Huge Announcement" http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2236858 leaked out last week planned for August 4th. - very interesting. The financials are there and no matter what, it can't be "changed" - just a matter of presentation, explaining and putting the best spins on it ...

Forward plans for ships going to Asia & Aussie do not change the results of NCLH's previous financial quarter either. Their margins on the financials are likely, far beyond collecting extra gratuities and/or raising them again can solve ... if they are indeed running off course with the headings. Another week of water-cooler stories and we will hopefully know more.

the stock is acting oddly today.

broader market is up about 1%.

yet this morning nclh was down as much as 1%.

now it's up .25%.

maybe people got spooked by ncl delaying quarterly #s?

but now cautiously buying again?

and I agree their financials should look good from the artificial rise from collecting gratuities early.

the stock is acting oddly today.

broader market is up about 1%.

yet this morning nclh was down as much as 1%.

now it's up .25%.

maybe people got spooked by ncl delaying quarterly #s?

but now cautiously buying again?

and I agree their financials should look good from the artificial rise from collecting gratuities early.

The broader market change has nothing to do with what a particular stock may do on any given day. Not meaning to be rude but you are purely speculating on these posts based on things you don't seem to know much about. NCLH is doing fine.

You know they did provide revised guidance for this quarter, when they released last quarter's results....

http://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=911555

Everything was trending positively. Better synergies, better EPS, better net yield.....

Lower interest rates on capital borrowing...

I booked NCL back in February for a December cruise.

I never got an email about the DSC going up to $12.95 (although I did read it on the CC news).

I did get an email from NCL about the increase to $13.50. Part of the email is as follows -

Any guest that has made a booking by July 31, 2015 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to the final payment due date. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid their service charges at the current rate will not be affected

When I go to the NCL website, the prepay offer still shows the $12 per day.

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $12.00 per person per cruise day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $168.00 for all guests, for your entire cruise.

I booked NCL back in February for a December cruise.

I never got an email about the DSC going up to $12.95 (although I did read it on the CC news).

I did get an email from NCL about the increase to $13.50. Part of the email is as follows -

Any guest that has made a booking by July 31, 2015 will have the option of prepaying their service charges at the current rate if done prior to the final payment due date. Guests with existing cruise reservations who have already pre-paid their service charges at the current rate will not be affected

When I go to the NCL website, the prepay offer still shows the $12 per day.

The convenience of pre-paying service charges allows you to plan your budget prior to your cruise giving you additional freedom while on board. A discretionary charge of $12.00 per person per cruise day for all guests 3 years or older will automatically be added to your onboard account. Your service charges will total $168.00 for all guests, for your entire cruise.

u can cancel and rebook in aug to take advantage of NCL paying the cabin tip fee.

Who ever started this nonsense that NCL was in trouble financially? I've no indication that's true. Folks are making things up as they go. Anyone have any facts to show a problem?

i dont think anyone said NCL was in trouble financially.

when I think financial troubles, I think of the company losing $.

ie: Sears/Kmart -> don't think they've had a profitable quarter in years

a couple of people mentioned cash flow problems.

hm.. I guess that can be interpreted as financial troubles even if NCL is still making a profit.

I said NCL's quarterly #s will look artificially good due to them collecting lots of cash from 'enticing' people to prepay the cabin gratuities.

and today the stock went up 2.5% on no news that I can find.

holy.. someone bought 1.1M shares after hours!??

edit:

nevermind.. i think that's today's volume during normal trading times

Edited by fstuff1

u can cancel and rebook in aug to take advantage of NCL paying the cabin tip fee.

IF the price of their cruise has not gone up from what it was when they first booked it. If it did, one must decide if paying more for the cruise if they cancel and rebook is worth it.

Harriet

IF the price of their cruise has not gone up from what it was when they first booked it. If it did, one must decide if paying more for the cruise if they cancel and rebook is worth it.

Harriet

Hi Harriet -

Not only the price of the cruise is the consideration but also what Freebies are going to be offered in August compared to when the cruise was booked.

• 3 months later...

Hi, Does anyone have an answer as to whether Norwegian will still let someone have the "gratuities" taken off the bill. They used to but I heard that now they are not allowing it. This absolute BS. No one should be telling me how much I have to tip and taking it right out of my pocket. That should be my decision.

Hi, Does anyone have an answer as to whether Norwegian will still let someone have the "gratuities" taken off the bill. They used to but I heard that now they are not allowing it. This absolute BS. No one should be telling me how much I have to tip and taking it right out of my pocket. That should be my decision.

They give you a form that you have to send in post cruise to modify them. They do not handle it on the ship anymore.

I agree 100%...only the guest should determine a) whether or not a gratuity was deserved, and b) the amount of that gratuity.

However...this is a Service Charge and not a tip/gratuity.

NCL doesn't require tipping, but you are always free to do so if you so choose. But that isn't related to the Service Charge.

I agree 100%...only the guest should determine a) whether or not a gratuity was deserved, and b) the amount of that gratuity.

However...this is a Service Charge and not a tip/gratuity.

NCL doesn't require tipping, but you are always free to do so if you so choose. But that isn't related to the Service Charge.

Yes it is a service charge, should not be considered optional. NCL service is worth paying for. For those throwing nickels around like they are manhole covers, perhaps cruising is not for you.:D

Yes it is a service charge, should not be considered optional. NCL service is worth paying for. For those throwing nickels around like they are manhole covers, perhaps cruising is not for you.:D

NCL considers it optional - they provide a process for removing it.

NCL considers it optional - they provide a process for removing it.

Yes, after the trip is over - you can submit the form and wait for it to be processed 2 weeks later. Still got to pay for it 1st, especially if it's sailing from the US.

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk

NCL considers the DSC as gratuities when they offer it as a booking bonus. They use both service charge and gratuities to identify the same charges.

Only on Cruise critic have I seen the two terms used to perpetuate arguments.