Concerned About Port Time Changes

Ilovesailing

Why would NCL post an explanation on CC....since the CC readers are such a tiny fraction of their passengers? Even if they told everyone why they were making changes, CC readers would still complain.

It's not the CC readers they should worry about. We now know about this. But what about all the other cruisers who haven't been made aware of these changes in time to cancel non-NCL excursions.

I know people always say this... but we might cancel our NCL cruise. If we were not looking forward to the new ship, Escape, I would have already canceled. But the ports are just as important.

Same for Escape sailing in Jan. 2016. Not very attractive.

ST. THOMAS -- 7am is fine but... but NOT a 3pm departure. That allows very little time to do anything at St. Thomas. Our last cruise on the Getaway, NCL told us to be back on the ship 2 HOURS before departure time... we figured we had more time but did as we were told. Even if not really necessary, our taxi driver said it was a good choice to aim to be back much earlier because the traffic in St Thomas gets congested and backed up when everyone is trying to get back to the ships. The other downside.... if I am going to be back on the ship by 1 or 2pm, I will surely get off the ship at 7am to get the most time. That means I'm going to bed early and missing a whole night of evening entertainment the night before.

NASSAU -- 12n-7pm also rules out doing much fun. Not worth spending all the money for Atlantis if not getting there until 1pm when it's already crowded. And I heard that things at Nassau start to shut down at 5pm anyway.

For most ports you only have to be back 30 min. before departure not two hours.

Unless there is a last min change such as weather in that case the ship should make announcement before folks depart.

Won't it be SO funny if the IT guy mis-mapped a data table field so that all of the Port Arrival & Departure times took a jump to the right?

All of this angst, and not a single confirmation that any of it is actual.

Why would NCL post an explanation on CC....since the CC readers are such a tiny fraction of their passengers? Even if they told everyone why they were making changes, CC readers would still complain.

Because NCL monitors this board and they respond when something is not accurate. The fact that they have not posted suggest that they either don't care or that they are doing this to save money.

I have also sent emails. Told them this was our first NCL cruise and if this isn't 'remedied' will be our last.

Told them this has never happened to us on Princess, Royal, or Carnival. Was that twisting the knife just a tad?

Edited by cruisegirl1963

Because NCL monitors this board and they respond when something is not accurate. The fact that they have not posted suggest that they either don't care or that they are doing this to save money.

I think there is too many hands in the pot to expect an answer so soon.JMO

Won't it be SO funny if the IT guy mis-mapped a data table field so that all of the Port Arrival & Departure times took a jump to the right?

This. A million times this.

If it's a typo or a computer glitch no it's not.

It's a bit of mess really. On our British Isles cruise there is a difference of an hour at our first port. The port is in Netherlands and we continue on to UK from there. An hour doesn't seem like much if it's on the same plot of land but it's not and if those on tours miss the ship, it will be an expensive mistake. Hopefully, they'll either correct or confirm the mistakes.

I feel I am on the topic. If the port is changed because the local government said it needed to change, then pointing the finger at NCL is just wrong. Get ALL of the facts before the witch hunt begins.

Quite a coincidence that ports in the Caribben, Hawaii, and Europe all seemed to shorten and change their hours at the same time. I think we're pretty much getting all the facts.

Quite a coincidence that ports in the Caribben' date=' Hawaii, and Europe all seemed to shorten and change their hours at the same time. I think we're pretty much getting all the facts.[/quote']

Look at what happened to the NYSE and United Airlines because of computer glitches. The fact of the matter is we don't know, and at the moment NCL isn't saying anything. Getting worked up and starting a riot over it if it turns out to be nothing won't fix things now will it?

Look at what happened to the NYSE and United Airlines because of computer glitches. The fact of the matter is we don't know, and at the moment NCL isn't saying anything. Getting worked up and starting a riot over it if it turns out to be nothing won't fix things now will it?

If this were merely a computer glitch, NCL would have made a public statement to that effect, just as the airlines did. Plus, I'm not all worked up as you are implying, I'm simply pointing out the unlikely coincidence that these changes are all originating from the various ports. Something you would have noticed had you read my post more carefully before jumping in with erroneous assumptions and allegations.

Another way they stand to make more money on this is by cruisers who will now opt for the NCL excursions and not risk an independent excursion for fear of missing the ship.

Well then I have the opposite problem on my cruise. For the second time since I've booked my Mediterranean Epic Cruise sailing Nov. 4th, all Cannes excursions going to Monte Carlo and Monaco have been taken off of the list. For some reason they are all bumped up from 8hr excursions to 8hr and 15 minutes.

My summary still shows that I have an excursion booked for Cannes, but since it's Monaco and Monte Carlo, I can't see it when I click on the Cannes tab.

Keep trying.

Another way they stand to make more money on this is by cruisers who will now opt for the NCL excursions and not risk an independent excursion for fear of missing the ship.

This will never happen in my book and you can rest assured that the tour companies will tweek their schedules and times as they cannot afford to lose business. Its a no brainer.

Keep trying.
I am with you on this, it's a deliberate data entry authorized on their "mainframe" computer & server network. Airline and/or hotels, etc. experiencing systems failure & DBMS mix-ups generally catched it in a matter of hours, if not minutes and launch remedial measures. What is being noticed is a series of planned changes - for those that said, mine hasn't been revised, good for you - just wait-n-see until you've completed the cruise itinerary before popping the bubbles.

Besides, unless NCL's social media "patrol" on CC is on vacation or been re-assigned, they would've likely come on with their usual message ... blah, blah, blah and bleep, bleep, bleep - yada, yada & more yada. Silence in their (lack thereof) response spoke for itself on what motives behind the moves.

NCL's email system had no problems "alerting" us about the freebies, including the "extra, up to $200 for holiday sailings" along with the 4 ?? or whatever promo in progress. And, even USPS delivered another postcard/packet this morning of the same - the failure to communicate timely with customers already booked & made deposits/final payment of upcoming cruises with port schedule changes - is, simply, unacceptable.

Legal or otherwise, pure bad business practices - I know & understand the cheerleading efforts to place faith & trust in NCL operations, that's fine but my principles & belief in this being done in bad faith is mine. So, they can spin it & free feel to disagree.

Edited by mking8288

I am on the Escape 2/20/16 sailing.

Original port times (in our confirmation from 1/24/15) were:

-- St. Thomas: 8-6

-- Tortola: 8-4

-- Nassau: 10-6

Current port times:

-- St. Thomas: 7-3

-- Tortola: 8-4

-- Nassau: 12-7

The Nassau port time changed months ago. The St.Thomas time, just within the week. While I am sailing for the ship this time, I am really displeased regarding the change in St. Thomas. Docking an hour earlier (when nothing is open) does not help. It would be different if we had a far trip to make to get to Tortola and wanted to slow down the ship in order to save fuel. This is obviously not the case.

We plan on contacting NCL to let them know that we are unhappy with this change, but any real information that can be found would be wonderful.

Agreed!

We are on the same sailing and are not at all happy with the change. Since we've done St. Thomas too many times to count - and we were to be there until 6 - we were seriously considering taking the ferry to St. Johns. But these new times make that too close for comfort - in our opinion. :(

Hi everyone,

We are looking into these itinerary changes and were wondering if you could provide the exact ships that are being affected by the changes, and what ports have been adjusted. (Time in port has been shortened as well?)

Thank you!

~Cruise Critic staff

I'm on the January 30 escape cruise and st thomas and Nassau changed.

You all want to be Debbie downers? Flailing and whining about doom and gloom? Fine.

Not Debbie Downer at all - looking at things realistically using the the info available. IMHO....that's all we can do!

Could turn that around at you and say if you'd like to ignore the obvious - bury your head in the sand?? Fine! :cool:

Edited by happy cruzin