Chops Grille

Spoken like a true apologist coming from Chops #1 cheerleader on this board. Good job sir. Cute acronym too.

I'm #1 ? Awesome!!! USA! USA! USA! USA!

FWIW, I had a very nice ribeye steak at Outback the other night that blew anything ive ate at Chops away the last two times Ive visited there. It was less than 30 bucks tip included.

OK. I had a Snow Cone the other day that blows away your Outback Ribeye. LOL

As long as people continue to ask how is Chops, I will continue to tell them MY opinion. Just as you continue to wave your Chops pom poms :)

Rah Rah Rah! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Go, have a good time, and ignore all the Chops naysayers. :)

Definitely get that 20 ounce porterhouse steak for the upcharge. That is the only porterhouse I ever had where I enjoyed the strip side more than the filet side.

In our case they offered us an additional entree to share because I ordered the upcharge steak. I cannot recommend those gigantic grilled shrimp (entree menu) enough in that case. Sadly, if you can finish them you are going to need to be rolled out of Chops on a cart because you will be stuffed. :)

I don't recall seeing a shrimp entree. Had the veal chop last time and did not enjoy it very much. My fault for ordering it though

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

I don't recall seeing a shrimp entree. Had the veal chop last time and did not enjoy it very much. My fault for ordering it though

Yes. See the link above that Bob posted. It says it is called the Spicy Jumbo Shrimp but I just remember it being grilled shrimp. The entree ones were HUGE. You had to cut them up with a knife and eat them in pieces.

Yes. See the link above that Bob posted. It says it is called the Spicy Jumbo Shrimp but I just remember it being grilled shrimp. The entree ones were HUGE. You had to cut them up with a knife and eat them in pieces.

I remember it now. I got the Branzino recently. Way to salty. I'm doing Filet next time, or maybe those shrimp. We always go First night for BOGO

Why would anyone care if you go to chops or not? It has no bearing on anyone else eating there and it looks as though you have not eaten there in a year. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=43451885#post43451885

Your info is a little outdated, to say the least

You have no clue what you are talking about. So far this year we have been on Oasis four times and once on Quantum. Our Chops experience is very recent.

You have no clue what you are talking about. So far this year we have been on Oasis four times and once on Quantum. Our Chops experience is very recent.

Right:rolleyes:

"We will not spend our money until they improve it. "

Thanks, so now we can believe chops is greatly improved to you in the last year.

Edited by setsail

People can only visit the Chops of today and not the Chops of the past.

McDonald's used to use beef tallow which was full of saturated fat to fry their french fries. People still rave about the old McDonald's fries. In the early 1990s McDonald's switched to vegetable oils for their fries (with some beef flavoring) and they are definitely not the same.

However, two points:

1. You cannot get the old McDonald's fries anymore.

2. Kids today never had the pre-90s fries and these are the only ones they know

Would it be fair for older people to tell young people today not to eat the fries at McDonald's because they were better in the past? (and cheaper)

Things change. :)

Don't make this into an age thing. You don't know me and you have no idea how much change in the world I have experienced, nor do know how well I handle it. All opinions are based on past experience.

This board is for opinions and I'm giving mine. I'm expressing my disappoint with Chops because I have the base line experience about how much it has gone down in value and quality. And, if someone asks for an opinion on Chops it would be ridiculous not to base my opinion on my past experience. How else could anyone give a valid opinion on something without experience?

They say ignorance is bliss.

So, if you don't want an opinion by tapping into people who have more experience than you, well go and be happy.

Don't make this into an age thing. You don't know me and you have no idea how much change in the world I have experienced, nor do know how well I handle it. All opinions are based on past experience.

This board is for opinions and I'm giving mine. I'm expressing my disappoint with Chops because I have the base line experience about how much it has gone down in value and quality. And, if someone asks for an opinion on Chops it would be ridiculous not to base my opinion on my past experience. How else could anyone give a valid opinion on something without experience?

They say ignorance is bliss.

So, if you don't want an opinion by tapping into people who have more experience than you, well go and be happy.

It has nothing to do with age. However, your experience with Chops with a different menu many years ago is may not be as relevant as more recent experiences. No one is saying you are not entitled to your opinion either. I do notice from past threads though that you seem to go out of your way to bash Chops. You mentioned you were given your meal in Chops for free one time. How did that come about?

Think about this:

If you go to Trip Advisor to read hotel reviews for a certain property which ones are the most important to you? The ones from 2015 or the ones from 2009?

Right:rolleyes:

"We will not spend our money until they improve it. "

Thanks, so now we can believe chops is greatly improved to you in the last year.

What?

Another Chops cheerleader who has no clue what they are talking about. We did not spend our money there genius.

We were given two comps from Royal to Chops and found it had not improved. We used to go there at least twice a cruise. We went because it was no cost. It is at least on par with the main dinning room, just not worth $39.00 pp base cover.

So, smart guy, we still will not spend our money there until it improves.

It has nothing to do with age. However, your experience with Chops with a different menu many years ago is may not be as relevant as more recent experiences. No one is saying you are not entitled to your opinion either. I do notice from past threads though that you seem to go out of your way to bash Chops. You mentioned you were given your meal in Chops for free one time. How did that come about?

Think about this:

If you go to Trip Advisor to read hotel reviews for a certain property which ones are the most important to you? The ones from 2015 or the ones from 2009?

First, how we ate for no cost in Chops has no bearing on the discussion, plus it is none of your business.

Yes, I have given poor reviews recently because it has gone down hill, and in my opinion, Royal has downgraded the menu in order to induce people to order the so called "Something Specal" steak for an additional $20.00 pp.I don't like that type of business practice. Royal also does that type of practice with the price of drinks and the drink packages, which we don't buy.

Finally, you say it is not about age but then you reference my experience "many years ago". I agree with your analogy about Trip Advisor, and trust me, my experience with Chops is very recent (April 2015) and my opinion is based on that recent experience---Chops on Oasis is not worth the cover charge or the add on fees.

Just off the Jewel last week and we ate at Chops twice during the week. Everyone is entitled to their opinion even if you don't agree with it. My "opinion" is that the food is outstanding! I could care less what it used to be back in 1988 I only care whether I have a positive experience now. Like all the other times we've visited this one was amazing. Food and service were much better than any chain on shore. I loved the new pepper bacon app. Both my filets were cooked perfectly and quite tasty. I'm not going to apologize for my cheerleading of Chops. Every cruise we make a point to schedule 1-2 special visits. The only way you're going to know for sure is to try it once. If you don't care for it, don't do it again. It's that simple. Don't let my positive review or any of the negatives sway you. Try it and make your own decision. I don't think you'll be sorry.

With the new menu and new pricing, here is my overall opinion of Chops:

Steaks are very good. Better than any other cut of meat on the ship. But still not as good as I get at most land based steakhouses. I very much enjoy them.

Starters, salads and sides are excellent. Far superior to other complimentary dining options, and better than many spedialty (prefer to Portofino/Giovanni's Table, on par with Izumi. Not quite as good as 150 Central Park, but a very different kind of food.

Service is generally outstanding. Although there are occasionally some less than stellar experiences, as evidenced by some of the comments.

Atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable. Much preferable to the large MDR or the Windjammer.

Overall, I like it very much. But you have to have reasonable expectations. If you're looking for Del Frisco's at Sea, keep looking.

People can only visit the Chops of today and not the Chops of the past.

Yea, but that doesn't mean it can't be discussed and returned to what it once was, or your can MUASA (Make up a silly acronym) for people who disagree and want to discuss it. I still go and enjoy, but the quality and value isn't what it once was.

I'm not going to apologize for my cheerleading of Chops. .

No one here is asking you to apologize for your Chops cheerleading. Just try and welcome the fact that not everyone feels like you do though.

1988? Did Chops even exist then? I thought the food in the MDR was SO WONDERFUL back then that there was no need for specialty dining????? Thats a stretch. IMHO and many others, Chops has went downhill big time in just the last 4 years or so. Again, our opinion of which we are entitled to just as you are entitled to yours. :)

Edited by ryano

Yea, but that doesn't mean it can't be discussed and returned to what it once was, or your can MUASA (Make up a silly acronym) for people who disagree and want to discuss it. I still go and enjoy, but the quality and value isn't what it once was.

like.png

Agree! We really really enjoyed Chops the 1st time on Serenade in 2010 and really enjoyed it on Freedom in 2013 with the old menus. We didn't enjoy it as much this year during our cruise on Enchantment with the new menu. I always order the filet and I like a big baked potato with my steak which they had taken off the menu and the new tater tots and mashed potatoes is not the same to me! I don't think the service of the wait staff has declined and I think the service has to do with the personality of the waiter. With all that said...will I go back to chops on a future cruise....probably will as we don't think that the food is just so bad that we can't go there and enjoy a good meal and we go just to do something different that does not have anything to do with the cost. We would however like for them to add back the menu items that was there in 2010 & 2013 as that was truly the best for us! :cool:

With the new menu and new pricing, here is my overall opinion of Chops:

Steaks are very good. Better than any other cut of meat on the ship. But still not as good as I get at most land based steakhouses. I very much enjoy them.

Starters, salads and sides are excellent. Far superior to other complimentary dining options, and better than many spedialty (prefer to Portofino/Giovanni's Table, on par with Izumi. Not quite as good as 150 Central Park, but a very different kind of food.

Service is generally outstanding. Although there are occasionally some less than stellar experiences, as evidenced by some of the comments.

Atmosphere is relaxed and comfortable. Much preferable to the large MDR or the Windjammer.

Overall, I like it very much. But you have to have reasonable expectations. If you're looking for Del Frisco's at Sea, keep looking.

That's a fair assessment. I'd not necessarily agree that most land-based steakhouses are better, but a lot depends upon chosen cut of meat and your level of doneness. DW has encouraged me to go more into the "Medium" range from "Medium Well" and it's been worth it. I've had some awesome steaks at Chops, and some killer sides and apps, but agree with you the level of service can be frustratingly hit-n-miss.

Fine if someone's going to label me a "Cheerleader" but there are enough people who make it seem like Chops serves steaks that Waffle House rejects and/or this level of food and service should be what's offered in the MDR. Leisuretraveler223 notes it's not del Frisco's at sea, but there's a crowd-- usually who bashes Chops pretty mercilessly and is of the opinion that Chops and all specialty dining is just a big cash grab/service downgrade-- determined that the MDR should be a 5-Star "Del Friscos at sea" experience. We may be comparative rookies but my folks have cruised since the late 70s and say it was a bit better in the past, but you simply can't do "5 star dining" for that many people that quickly and consistently. The luxury lines can pull it off because they have fewer people paying more per guest.

Is it really worth going if you go for the sake of complaining about how it used to be?

If you're in Chops on the Navigator on 1-NOV, look for us. and we'll probably be enjoying it.

Edited by MichaelCMTX

I could care less what it used to be back in 1988 I only care whether I have a positive experience now.

Bingo.

FWIW, my wife and I took out first RC cruise this past March and tried Chops. I figured we'd be wasting our money from the comments we read on here leading up to the cruise. We both couldn't have been happier with the meal.

The shrimp app was AMAZING; our server saw me demolish the first one and graciously brought out another (no, you will not want to share despite the shrimp being longer than your hand). The bacon app was quite delicious as well, but the carpaccio dish wasn't up to par in our opinion. We have a killer restaurant in Boulder that does great carpaccio, but we agreed that for a first-timer, it would be pretty good.

For entrees, my wife and the other couple we were with all ordered the filet. Everybody's was cooked perfectly to their specifications. I actually partook in the dry aged porterhouse as well as the lobster tail. I'll agree with the other poster that said the strip side was more enjoyable than the filet side. I was quite impressed with the steak itself; it rivaled steaks I've had at decent Denver steakhouses and it was well worth the $19 up charge. It was certainly better than anything I could get at any of my area Outbacks or Chilis or any other chain restaurants. It was not better than steaks we have at Del Frisco's, but I've never had anything better than Del Frisco's. The lobster tail, on the other hand, was truly awful. Dry, rubbery, stringy; it was actually one of the worst lobster tails I've ever had. If I'm being perfectly honest, I've had better lobster at Joe's Crab Shack. I'd definitely skip it for anyone reading this that's thinking about ordering it.

As for sides, we got jumbo asparagus, truffle french fries, creamed spinach, and mashed potatoes for the table. It's pretty tough to mess up asparagus or creamed spinach, so those were good. The mashed potatoes were also pretty tasty after some salt. The truffle fries had no taste of truffles and we weren't too excited about them.

Needless to say we had no room for desert, so I can't comment on any of those items.

I will say we were the third party in the restaurant and it stayed pretty dead the entire time. I believe we purposely booked an earlier time to beat the crowds, but we never expected the room to be so empty. It was really nice and quiet, and the service and majority of the food was impeccable.

We'll definitely go again and are looking forward to it. Can't get shrimp like that in Colorado!

Anyways, that's a review from someone who never sailed with Royal before March 2015, and would happily and eagerly pay for Chops again. For us, it's cheaper than a local comparable product and totally worth it.

(I might have to copy and paste this into future Chops threads.)

Edited by TomAceEsq

Bingo.

FWIW, my wife and I took out first RC cruise this past March and tried Chops. I figured we'd be wasting our money from the comments we read on here leading up to the cruise. We both couldn't have been happier with the meal.

The shrimp app was AMAZING; our server saw me demolish the first one and graciously brought out another (no, you will not want to share despite the shrimp being longer than your hand). The bacon app was quite delicious as well, but the carpaccio dish wasn't up to par in our opinion. We have a killer restaurant in Boulder that does great carpaccio, but we agreed that for a first-timer, it would be pretty good.

For entrees, my wife and the other couple we were with all ordered the filet. Everybody's was cooked perfectly to their specifications. I actually partook in the dry aged porterhouse as well as the lobster tail. I'll agree with the other poster that said the strip side was more enjoyable than the filet side. I was quite impressed with the steak itself; it rivaled steaks I've had at decent Denver steakhouses and it was well worth the $19 up charge. It was certainly better than anything I could get at any of my area Outbacks or Chilis or any other chain restaurants. It was not better than steaks we have at Del Frisco's, but I've never had anything better than Del Frisco's. The lobster tail, on the other hand, was truly awful. Dry, rubbery, stringy; it was actually one of the worst lobster tails I've ever had. If I'm being perfectly honest, I've had better lobster at Joe's Crab Shack. I'd definitely skip it for anyone reading this that's thinking about ordering it.

As for sides, we got jumbo asparagus, truffle french fries, creamed spinach, and mashed potatoes for the table. It's pretty tough to mess up asparagus or creamed spinach, so those were good. The mashed potatoes were also pretty tasty after some salt. The truffle fries had no taste of truffles and we weren't too excited about them.

Needless to say we had no room for desert, so I can't comment on any of those items.

I will say we were the third party in the restaurant and it stayed pretty dead the entire time. I believe we purposely booked an earlier time to beat the crowds, but we never expected the room to be so empty. It was really nice and quiet, and the service and majority of the food was impeccable.

We'll definitely go again and are looking forward to it. Can't get shrimp like that in Colorado!

Anyways, that's a review from someone who never sailed with Royal before March 2015, and would happily and eagerly pay for Chops again. For us, it's cheaper than a local comparable product and totally worth it.

(I might have to copy and paste this into future Chops threads.)

And there will be many many more! :cool:

The bottom line is that just about every Chops thread here degrades into a select few people bashing the living daylights out of Chops and recommending that everyone not go because it is not as good as it used to be.

Do a search and you will find tons of them.

What is not discussed a lot is the positive experiences in Chops because the people who generally post positive things about it get drowned out by the opposing viewpoint.

I feel sorry for the newer people who come here to find info about it, read all the negativity, and decide not to go. They may be missing out on a great experience because of all the Chops bashing.

They used to have Skeet Shooting on cruises in the Caribbean. They do not have it anymore and it is not coming back. Should no one take a cruise anymore until they return Skeet Shooting??? LOL

Edit: Oops - FTAASA (Forgot to add a silly acronym)

Edited by NightOne