Does MTD dinning no longer requires pre paid gratuities?

Hi

I was told in a post that MTD doesn't required to pre paid gratuities is that true? I have a reservation for freedom 2016 and the minute I clicked MTD gratuities were added to the final cost of the cruise

Thanks

Hi

I was told in a post that MTD doesn't required to pre paid gratuities is that true? I have a reservation for freedom 2016 and the minute I clicked MTD gratuities were added to the final cost of the cruise

Thanks

RCCL dropped the requirement about two weeks ago. Call royal, your TA or C&A. They will be taken off.

Hi

Thanks

My guess is that no one has reprogrammed the on-line system yet to reflect the change in no pre-paid gratuities required when selecting MTD.

Edited by cruisenfever

My guess is that no one has reprogrammed the on-line system yet to reflect the change in no pre-paid gratuities required when selecting MTD.

My guess is that it's a very very very low priority to do anything that reduces or delays incoming cash flow. Similar to how the website has never been programmed to handle less than full deposits during WOW type promos.

My guess is that it's a very very very low priority to do anything that reduces or delays incoming cash flow. Similar to how the website has never been programmed to handle less than full deposits during WOW type promos.

Agree. :)

RCCL dropped the requirement about two weeks ago. Call royal, your TA or C&A. They will be taken off.

If you made your booking before RCL raised the daily rate, you might want to just leave them alone. Once you take them off the booking, you will be charged the higher rate once on board.

What would be the advantage of having gratuities paid onboard vs ahead of time? I recently booked a last minute weekender on Majesty, chose MTD, selected "pay gratuities later" and it still left a balance due after I paid the cruise fare and taxes. I let it sit there for a few days and then I got an email stating it was "past due" and to settle the balance. So I did... figured it would have to be paid anyway, so what's the difference?

Unless someone has OBC to apply as an offset, is there something else I am not thinking about??

Thanks for any advice!

What would be the advantage of having gratuities paid onboard vs ahead of time? I recently booked a last minute weekender on Majesty, chose MTD, selected "pay gratuities later" and it still left a balance due after I paid the cruise fare and taxes. I let it sit there for a few days and then I got an email stating it was "past due" and to settle the balance. So I did... figured it would have to be paid anyway, so what's the difference?

Unless someone has OBC to apply as an offset, is there something else I am not thinking about??

Thanks for any advice!

I'm not sure this is still the case, and I'm not suggesting you would want to do this, but it used to be very difficult to reduce or eliminate gratuities if they were prepaid.

Edited by clarea

True, MTD no longer requires prepaid tips.

You can remove the tips from your booking now.

Say what!!!!

I'm removing the prepaid tips right now

Thanks everyone for your quick answer. I will be lost without cruise critics

Maybe that's why. I made the reservation 2 days ago and gratuities were automatically added when I pick MTD , I though the cruise fare increases in seconds but I realized it was the tips

What would be the advantage of having gratuities paid onboard vs ahead of time?

Thanks for any advice!

My number one reason is because I can use my points from my CC for onboard credit and that way I'm paying gratuities with the onboard credit. And also, it's a myth but some people say they get a better service when they don't prepay gratuities. Hard to tell if it's true or not since at the same time the employee might think that I could lower the tips

What's the advantage to not pre-paying? I had them added to mu booking, but that was so that I could lock in at the lower price before it was raised recently. I guess I would pay it final payment.

If you don't prepay, you can use OBC to pay for tips.

If you made your booking before RCL raised the daily rate, you might want to just leave them alone. Once you take them off the booking, you will be charged the higher rate once on board.

Did the daily rate tip change? When, and what is the new dollar amount. I recently booked a cruise to Alaska on the Explorer, MTD was selected - gratuity was not added to the booking. We will pre-pay our tips before we sail.

Did the daily rate tip change? When, and what is the new dollar amount. I recently booked a cruise to Alaska on the Explorer, MTD was selected - gratuity was not added to the booking. We will pre-pay our tips before we sail.

The daily tip rate change took effect July 1. For non-suites, it went from $12 to $12.95 per day. Suites went from $14.25 to $15.95 per day.

The daily tip rate change took effect July 1. For non-suites, it went from $12 to $12.95 per day. Suites went from $14.25 to $15.95 per day.

Thanks, I somehow missed that. But, it is okay with me. The crew earns their tips.

My TA just informed me that gratuities cannot be paid for using OBC, and that it is a RC policy, not the TA's policy/stipulation. I was considering asking for my prepaid gratuities to be taken off my reservation, but now I am not sure if there is much advantage in doing this other than delaying the payment a couple months. Anybody know if this is true, or have any experience? Thanks!:confused:

My TA just informed me that gratuities cannot be paid for using OBC, and that it is a RC policy, not the TA's policy/stipulation. I was considering asking for my prepaid gratuities to be taken off my reservation, but now I am not sure if there is much advantage in doing this other than delaying the payment a couple months. Anybody know if this is true, or have any experience? Thanks!:confused:

Unless this is some very recent policy change, you can still use OBC to pay gratuities.