Raising the Head of the Bed

notjaded

For those of you who prefer to sleep with your head elevated, how do you accomplish this on Holland America (specifically) or any cruise line or hotel room (generally)?

Edited by notjaded

I actually travel with my own very firm solid foam pillow. I use one of the "space bags" vacuuming the air out at home prior to my trip and then just rolling it when packing to return home.

If you're doing it for GERD reasons, you can ask your steward if they can put it up on blocks a bit...pillows for that are a no-no...adds more pressure to your abdomen which makes it worse. (GI doc wife with GERD.)

When I want to elevate my feet because of swelling, I put a life jacket under the mattress. This works well. It gets your feet elevated above your heart.

My family doctor told me this trick. He also doctors for HAL 2-3 times a year. You could try this at the head of the bed. Once I have placed the life jacket the cabin steward leaves it there and makes up the bed around it so I don't have to keep putting it there every night.

Good to know the ship's doctor is the one who recommended the life preserver under the mattress trick - no problems with any safety regulations having the jacket be immediately available? Sounds like great idea. Indeed, lots of good tips.

When I want to elevate my feet because of swelling, I put a life jacket under the mattress. This works well. It gets your feet elevated above your heart.

My family doctor told me this trick. He also doctors for HAL 2-3 times a year. You could try this at the head of the bed. Once I have placed the life jacket the cabin steward leaves it there and makes up the bed around it so I don't have to keep putting it there every night.

I've also put the life jacket under the mattress for swollen ankles. I'm going to try it under the top of the mattress this December (but not for my swollen head -lol).

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A bit shocked about the use of life jackets in this way...

I don't think anyone should be messing with the lifesaving emergency equipment, even if it does help a swollen ankle!

Those things are not made as bed raisers - Sorry.....

:confused::confused::confused:

If you're doing it for GERD reasons, you can ask your steward if they can put it up on blocks a bit...pillows for that are a no-no...adds more pressure to your abdomen which makes it worse. (GI doc wife with GERD.)

In the past year, we have started requesting, in advance through travel agent, the bed be tilted by elevator blocks at the head for medical reasons. So far, we have done this on Regent and Seabourn; both did a very nice job.

Have yet to make the request to HAL, but will be doing so in January. We'll see!

Edited by GeneBK
Removed....somehow posted to the wrong thread

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

A bit shocked about the use of life jackets in this way...

I don't think anyone should be messing with the lifesaving emergency equipment, even if it does help a swollen ankle!

Those things are not made as bed raisers - Sorry.....

:confused::confused::confused:

There is no need to be confused. This under the foot of the bed trick is recommended by a HAL doctor. No harm is done to the life vest, at least not the type of preservers used by HAL. Some people like me are on meds that cause swelling of the ankles, especially at sea.

I have to have the head of the bed elevated and pillows don't do it so

I took special blocks that I bought and put those under and they were

there for the whole cruise and didn't interfere with the steward's work.

they are plastic and about 6 inches high and have an indent in the middle of the top so that the legs don't slide out and weigh very little. think I bought them at the Source (in Canada)

I have to have the head of the bed elevated and pillows don't do it so

I took special blocks that I bought and put those under and they were

there for the whole cruise and didn't interfere with the steward's work.

they are plastic and about 6 inches high and have an indent in the middle of the top so that the legs don't slide out and weigh very little. think I bought them at the Source (in Canada)

That sounds like a great product. Do you have any more information about it or "The Source?" Can't find it online. Thanks!

I tip the Captain a few dollars, so he will make a constant turn in the direction of my feet while I am sleeping. It delays the ship a bit, but helps with the GERD.

Have you considered "Big Texas Hair?" It not only eliminates the need for the turning, but it also helps to protect against falling objects. The Houston version is impact rated up to a Category 2 hurricane.

I looked up the black plastic bed raisers and they can be bought at

WalMart or Lowes in the US - will be checking WalMart in Canada as I could use another set - they are very strong but also light weight.

Have you considered "Big Texas Hair?" It not only eliminates the need for the turning, but it also helps to protect against falling objects. The Houston version is impact rated up to a Category 2 hurricane.

thank you for the most excellent suggestion!

is it available is platinum? I don't want to stand out.