Gift for room steward

volmoma

Since in the majority of the cases they ARE useless trinkets to the staff, why is it nasty to point out the obvious? :confused:

OK -- I concede !! I will continue to give them the "useless trinkets" and you continue to give them your "pennies".

End of discussion !!! (for me) You can argue with yourselves. Have fun !!

I see you didn't bother to acknowledge that your situation is different then most. It might be time to give it a rest :rolleyes:

I too have noticed that he and the other poster have refused to acknowledge that the situation of the majority of cruisers is very different than theirs, and continue to challenge the rest of us as if we were somehow lesser than they.

I liken the conflicting approaches to the difference gift giving techniques one would take with friends and delivery persons.

I spend time with my friends. That makes it possible for me to learn their likes and dislikes. During the holidays, or for birthdays, I give my friends things I know they will like. I do not give cash, as I believe it to be impersonal.

However, I am not friends with my mail, UPS and newspaper delivery people, so I do not know what they do or don't like. Instead, for them during the holidays I give an additional cash "tip" for the services they render to me. Cash is an appropriate impersonal gift for an impersonal relationship.

The relationship I have with the crew on a cruise ship is an impersonal one. So, an impersonal gift is the most appropriate. Not trinkets, T-shirts or goodie bags. Most cruisers would fall in the same impersonal category.

Edited by PTMary

May be you have signatures shut off.

OP has over 20 cruises listed. FAR from a being NEW cruiser.:p

Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant for any new poster in general who asks the question and not the OP in particular.

If belittling people for posting their experiences does you some good, go for it. The fact that you are dead wrong doesn't enter into the picture.

Since so many feel the need to pounce on those who know that money isn't the only thing that appeals to the crew members, it indicates a lack of confidence in your ideas.

Suggestion ---- Since money is the of utmost imprtance, why not dig out some of your old confederate money, or WWII german marks and give that to thecrew. That should make them extremely happy in YOUR OPINION !!

What in heaven's name does this mean? That's really far out and everyone certainly knows what kind of money to give. SMH Guess I won't get an answer since you're gettin' outta' Dodge.:D BTW, I suspect the arguing will lessen since you and another poster are the only ones arguing.

I agree wholeheartedly with PTMary, you and Biker just need to clarify your personal experience/friendship with the crew and not give the impression that what you give is not the norm, that's all. It would most likely avoid arguments.

If belittling people for posting their experiences does you some good, go for it. The fact that you are dead wrong doesn't enter into the picture.

Since so many feel the need to pounce on those who know that money isn't the only thing that appeals to the crew members, it indicates a lack of confidence in your ideas.

Suggestion ---- Since money is the of utmost imprtance, why not dig out some of your old confederate money, or WWII german marks and give that to thecrew. That should make them extremely happy in YOUR OPINION !!

This has got to be one of the dumbest and most petulant replies I have ever read here on these boards. If this was the only post a new member had ever read from you, they would be very suspicious that you didn't have a very good grasp on reality. Heck, after reading all of your posts, I am certain that they would be convinced of it!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

Here is the problem as I see it with comments like the above. You and biker@sea are pretty quick to tell us you cruise so much that you personally know the crew and several of the captains, even calling them "friends". You tell us that you give them gifts that you know they will like - Harley memorabilia and T-shirts, for example - as a result of getting to know them over time. And then almost in the same breath you berate the rest of us, people who haven't had the opportunities to develop friendships like you have, for suggesting that it is better to give cash and not something personal that they may not like or cannot use. You seem to suggest that we are not very caring people, implying that we don't care enough about the crew to give them things they like rather than impersonal cash.

That is what I find offensive. You are using your level of familiarity with your crew and captain friends to judge those of us who don't have that luxury, implying that we are lesser people for taking the safe approach by giving only cash.

That is not very fair. What you have is a very different relationship with the crew than we have. So enough of your lecturing us about what we think is the only appropriate and safe gift to give crew we have never met before, and will probably never meet again - CASH.

Where are you making this stuff up from?? I did not lecture you. Lesser people, not caring people, impersonal cash, berating .:eek:

Your words not mine. Your causing an argument with yourself.

Originally Posted by Vitamin_Sea

no one there wants actual gifts. Just do cash

So not true .

I have given a dozen or so Harley t-shirts to crew I know.

They want em.

And a dozen pair of gloves might have gotten thrown out too , AFTER the Canada / New England run was done.

ON the other Hand- CASH - One of my most cherished gifts is a Philipino 20 three of the girls from the ship signed and gave to Us.

I said people do want gifts period .:D

Edited by biker@sea

Where are you making this stuff up from?? I did not lecture you. Lesser people, not caring people, impersonal cash, berating .:eek:

Your words not mine. Your causing an argument with yourself.

Originally Posted by Vitamin_Sea

no one there wants actual gifts. Just do cash

So not true .

I have given a dozen or so Harley t-shirts to crew I know.

They want em.

And a dozen pair of gloves might have gotten thrown out too , AFTER the Canada / New England run was done.

ON the other Hand- CASH - One of my most cherished gifts is a Philipino 20 three of the girls from the ship signed and gave to Us.

And here he is, conveniently proving the point everybody else is making. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

This thread has gotten so wonky that it's has my head spinning.:eek:

Biker; "I have given a dozen or so Harley t-shirts to crew I KNOW. They want them".

Can you not see the difference in this "discussion"? When this subject comes up, all you have to say is, you've made many friends over the years and know what they want or like. Given that most do not have the relationship with them that you do, it's probably better to just give cash. If you clarify from the get go, most likely there won't be barbs thrown back and forth and no arguing. :)

I hope that any newbies to the world of cruising (if they've continued to read this thread) understand what many of us are saying (check out PT Mary's posts on the prior page for a great answer): that the standard way to reward crew members is to keep on the autogratuities and beyond that, cash.

The snarky replies on the part of the couple who seem to differ needed to be addressed. As others have said, they undoubtedly (whether they're "on the money" or just delusional about their "special relationships) feel they know a few crew members as they go on the same ships and undoubtedly get the same stewards and waitstaff.

Sometimes people are well meaning in their gifting. My own MIL of blessed memory would give family members a $50 bill for gifts. That meant she would have to go a bank and get the currency. But for the receiver, that usually meant going to the bank and getting it exchanged for smaller bills that are more easily spent. She meant well, and no one was going to tell her it just meant trouble for them. So, for anyone thinking of giving a ship's crew member a $2 bill, silver coins, phone cards...you'll just inconveniencing the person you want to reward.

So our replies have been directed toward those who are considering giving something other than cash. So that their gift is truly something a crew member will welcome, not something they might end up throwing in the trash or giving away.

This thread has gotten so wonky that it's has my head spinning.:eek:

Biker; "I have given a dozen or so Harley t-shirts to crew I KNOW. They want them".

Can you not see the difference in this "discussion"? When this subject comes up, all you have to say is, you've made many friends over the years and know what they want or like. Given that most do not have the relationship with them that you do, it's probably better to just give cash. If you clarify from the get go, most likely there won't be barbs thrown back and forth and no arguing. :)

Anybody could bring a dozen pairs of gloves and find homes for them in cold Canada. JMHO

There is nothing wrong with giving individually wrap hard candy ether.

Edited by biker@sea

Anybody could bring a dozen pairs of gloves and find homes for them in cold Canada. JMHO

You still don't get it! :eek:

Wouldn't giving them the amount of cash that the gloves and candy would have cost be even better for them? I rather doubt that most of the crew, who are typically from warm climate Asian countries, need cold weather gloves they can use in Canada. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

Nope.

Wouldn't giving them the amount of cash that the gloves and candy would have cost be even better for them? I rather doubt that most of the crew, who are typically from warm climate Asian countries, need cold weather gloves they can use in Canada. :rolleyes:

Also, it's not like most of them have not worked a Canadian cruise before so probably already have gloves..... the kind they want that they bought with the money the pax gave them.:D

And when the cruise line switches from Bermuda to Canada where the heck could a cruise member find winter gloves to buy?? Bermuda .

What is so hard to understand gifts may be appreciated. Thats all that simple.

And when the cruise line switches from Bermuda to Canada where the heck could a cruise member find winter gloves to buy?? Bermuda .

What is so hard to understand gifts may be appreciated. Thats all that simple.

How cold does it get on those Canada cruises, really? They aren't in the dead of winter when gloves would be useful. Are gloves even needed?

Trying to explain common sense ideas to some people is like trying to push a rope up hill. It just isn't possible. Time to just give up and let them wobble through life with their quaint ideas. :rolleyes:

Edited by sloopsailor

<snip>.

What does this mean? :confused:

I thought we were talking about guests 'tipping/giving' to crew?

What is this about a Philipino 20 apparently three Filipina ladies gave you?

How cold does it get on those Canada cruises, really? They aren't in the dead of winter when gloves would be useful. Are gloves even needed?

Two years ago, we didn't need the warmer clothes we took and I was rolling up my sleeves and pants legs.

As passengers we tip waiters, assistant waiters, room stewards and their assistants. On a cruise to Norway and the Arctic circle, where the temp got down to the high thirties, I can't remember a single steward or waiter on deck pulling lines as the ship docked. If they did gloves might be appreciated.

But wait, do you think it might be possible the cruise line would give your room steward a pair of gloves while he was up on the crows nest pulling lookout duty?

Edited by PoppyandNana

I too think the most appropriate tip is cash. But I see nothing wrong with adding a small gift to that. If the room steward or waiter doesn't want it, there probably is another crew member that does. If not, there are plenty of trash bins around.

This thread is just getting stranger and stranger....:eek:

Edited by wwcruisers

Iut I see nothing wrong with adding a small gift to that. If the room steward or waiter doesn't want it, there probably is another crew member that does. If not, there are plenty of trash bins around.

But why waste money on something they might throw away instead of just giving them the money you would have spent to buy the item? You know they won't throw the money away. That is what I don't understand. :confused:

Edited by PTMary

example = sentimental value of a gift that cash can't buy.;)

On our October 2012 cruise the ship was blanketed with snow in the Saguenay Fiord.

But why waste money on something they might throw away instead of just giving them the money you would have spent to buy the item? You know they won't throw the money away. That is what I don't understand. :confused:

Perhaps you are not sentimental but some crew members may actually appreciate a small token of a guest's appreciation along with their cash tip?

Clearly clueless or delusional. The crew doesn't want this stuff or your t-shirts, it all goes into the trash when you leave the ship.