Gift for room steward

volmoma

I give cash only. Since I don't know these people and what they like, I prefer to keep it a business arrangement and reward them the same way I prefer to be rewarded in business - with a cash bonus. Not trinkets, T-shirts, magnets, candy, gum, calling cards, passes to my favorite movie theater, bottles of Old Spice, cigarettes, socks, lapel pins, bobbing head doll of my favorite sports figure, or whatever the heck these "gift" people think those hard working crew members are just hoping for someone to give them. You may or may not make them happy with your idea of a favorite gift item, but with cash you will be absolutely certain they will be happy with what you give them. Why take the chance? After all, isn't the "gift" supposed to be for their benefit, and not for yours?

Edited by SantaFeFan

Like many people have said, don't use "cutsie" coins or bills. It only complicates the lives of the people you want to reward. Even here in the US such denominations are a nuisance. US cash register trays do not have compartments for $2 dollar bills or 50 cent pieces, causing extra handling when they are used to purchase items. True, they are legal currency and must be accepted, but that doesn't override the fact that they aren't the easiest to use in day to day activities.

There's not even a compartment for the dollar coin. Outside of Union Station area of LA we have have a hard time using those. Many think they're quarters.

Deep down, they were steaming mad.

Or at least annoyed... I work in the non profit arena where we accept donations for our clients. The amount of "slightly damaged but still good" items in the eyes of the gifter is huge but donating it relives their dismay at tossing it themselves in the trash. In addition, the even bigger number of donors who write a single digit check (yes, $9 and less) with a list of those they want included for thank you letters and acknowledgment as memorials in the double digits. ALL OF THESE are greeted with appreciation, gratitude and ENTHUSIASM in hopes of developing a future relationship that they will continue to gift and because that's what professionals do.

Or at least annoyed... I work in the non profit arena where we accept donations for our clients. The amount of "slightly damaged but still good" items in the eyes of the gifter is huge but donating it relives their dismay at tossing it themselves in the trash. In addition, the even bigger number of donors who write a single digit check (yes, $9 and less) with a list of those they want included for thank you letters and acknowledgment as memorials in the double digits. ALL OF THESE are greeted with appreciation, gratitude and ENTHUSIASM in hopes of developing a future relationship that they will continue to gift and because that's what professionals do.

Thank you for debunking that overused claim that the crew is so pleased with the cheap, useless trinket they were given just because they looked happy. No employee worth their salt would look at something given to them and look displeased. It is not only professional to feign gratitude, but also a survival technique. Imagine the fallback they may receive if they refused it or had a look of dissatisfaction when given a worthless refrigerator magnet or other useless "gift". That gift giver, already having proven to be totally clueless as to what is an appropriate gift, would most likely also be completely clueless as to the reason for the response, and complain to management about how ungrateful the staff is.

The staff is always in survival mode. They have to placate the whims of a wide variety of customer expectations lest they have their tips removed or a complaint is filed for allegedly providing poor services (just read the exorbitant expectations that people from some countries have just to earn even a minimum tip amount). To make their own lives easier, they will ALWAYS feign gratitude for that trash can worthy gift they were given.

The service staff aren't stupid, after all.

Edited by sloopsailor

Thank you for debunking that overused claim that the crew is so pleased with the cheap, useless trinket they were given just because they looked happy. No employee worth their salt would look at something given to them and look displeased. It is not only professional to feign gratitude, but also a survival technique. Imagine the fallback they may receive if they refused it or had a look of dissatisfaction when given a worthless refrigerator magnet or other useless "gift". That gift giver, already having proven to be totally clueless as to what is an appropriate gift, would most likely also be completely clueless as to the reason for the response, and complain to management about how ungrateful the staff is.

The staff is always in survival mode. They have to placate the whims of a wide variety of customer expectations lest they have their tips removed or a complaint is filed for allegedly providing poor services (just read the exorbitant expectations that people from some countries have just to earn even a minimum tip amount). To make their own lives easier, they will ALWAYS feign gratitude for that trash can worthy gift they were given.

The service staff aren't stupid, after all.

And even better if you follow up with questions demonstrating an interest in the item which is then perceived as interest in the other person. Yes, sometimes the items that are donated have a significance to the donor and asking questions reveals that. When the crew asks questions about "gifts", it truly makes the guest feel appreciated which hopefully leads to a gratuity but sometimes they just don't know what the heck it is. Of course, reacting negatively in words, facial expression or body language by the crew to any proffered item has such serious consequences that they would learn quickly to convey "happy".

And even better if you follow up with questions demonstrating an interest in the item which is then perceived as interest in the other person. Yes, sometimes the items that are donated have a significance to the donor and asking questions reveals that. When the crew asks questions about "gifts", it truly makes the guest feel appreciated which hopefully leads to a gratuity but sometimes they just don't know what the heck it is. Of course, reacting negatively in words, facial expression or body language by the crew to any proffered item has such serious consequences that they would learn quickly to convey "happy".

What wonderful posts with just the right message.

Makes me want to donate to your organization. :)

What wonderful posts with just the right message.

Makes me want to donate to your organization. :)

I always question our room steward. Who are you? Where do you come from? Why are you working this job?

For many, this is the only job they can find because the country that they come from has no jobs. Many have wife and children at home. They work for the income to support their folks. Cash is important to them.

Only gift that I have ever given was to the Captain of the ship. Chatted with him many times around the ship. On the elevator one day I gifted him for his service. A key chain with a small compass. It was cheap and throw away, however, he had a great laugh along with a tear in his eyes.:cool:

Deep down, they were steaming mad.

Wait a minute. The person RiotAct was referencing said they gave the steward a $20 bill, post #71. Is that a reason to be steaming mad or annoyed?:confused:

It's a lovely thought but like others mentioned it's hard to know what they need or like. When we see our attendant before heading into port, I will ask them if I can get them anything....some have taken me up on it. And we always leave an extra tip.

I agree that cash is the best tip to give. A note to the hotel director is also a great way to commend your room steward and waitstaff.

I also carry a supply of very small pins ( Canadian Maple Leaf as I Am Canadian ) and give them out. Most are very happy to be given one and many pin it on right away or show me next time I see them that they are proud to be wearing it. I have seen others that I may not have had interaction with eyeing the pins when I am giving it out and they are very appreciative when I offer them one too.

On some lines, putting anything on their uniform that's not approved by the cruise line can get them in trouble.

Wait a minute. The person RiotAct was referencing said they gave the steward a $20 bill, post #71. Is that a reason to be steaming mad or annoyed?:confused:

Not necessarily. The op said the steward "seemed" happy (my quotes marks). This could suggest an emotion other than happy.

I always question our room steward. Who are you? Where do you come from? Why are you working this job?

For many, this is the only job they can find because the country that they come from has no jobs. Many have wife and children at home. They work for the income to support their folks. Cash is important to them.

<snip>

In all the years I worked, no one ever asked me those questions. :)

I'm not sure I would have much liked it if they had. :o

We all understand why most of the stewards/sailors/staff and Officers are working on the ships. It is their employment of choice for their own reasons.

I'm not sure why you quoted me as I am the Queen of always answering the best gift to give stewards/bartenders etc on the ships is cash. I always avoid the t-shirts, caps, candy, do-dads and trinkets others suggest. Cash is king. The next best thing to that is mentioning them with praise on the end of cruise survey.

On some lines, putting anything on their uniform that's not approved by the cruise line can get them in trouble.

I agree. They probably are not supposed to put anything not company provided on their uniforms and pins of flags from various nations may not be a good idea. Who knows if they don't particularly care for the country your pin represents and are expected to wear? :eek: They are not likely to tell you they would rather not tout whichever country it is. :D In our way too political world these days, why put them in an awkward position?

Edited by sail7seas

We each leave a $20 bill with a very short written thank you. Seems the room steward could use this. We don't want to waste his precious time on his busiest day being cute. Remember the day you disembark is their longest day because they have to clean your room and embark another guest as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Biker -- I have been chastized perhaps as much as you for stating my experiences in giving gifts to crew. Those who are berating you simply don't know the people you and I have dealt with.

I also take gifts that I know from experience the crew members like, use, and ask for more to give family members.

The opinions of those who cruise occasionally are much different from those who cruise enough to get to know the people and their families.

I have stopped posting the experiences I have had, but I still take gifts for the crew. Don't let the naysakers dissuade you because they simply do not know what they are talking about.

They won't dissuade this thick headed Swede. ;)

Only gift that I have ever given was to the Captain of the ship. Chatted with him many times around the ship. On the elevator one day I gifted him for his service. A key chain with a small compass. It was cheap and throw away, however, he had a great laugh along with a tear in his eyes.:cool:

Do you ask who are you, where do you come from, why are you working this job of your waiters at Denny's?

Kind of presumptuous don't you think?

Do you ask who are you, where do you come from, why are you working this job of your waiters at Denny's?

Kind of presumptuous don't you think?

Yes unless they volunteer the info as our last steward did. It was his last cruise and he was leaving for medical school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in agreement with those in the "cash only" segment. Once had a very chatty steward who loved giving me the inside scoop on her job - she told very funny stories of the things people gave the crew thinking they were being kind - it almost always went into the trash bin.

What didn't make it in the bin was the alcohol :D - that they were happy to keep but it was against regulations for them to keep it and so they would sneak it back to their cabins. People that made afghans :eek:, gave clothes they didn't want to take home, home made candy - all to the trash - what they all worked for was the cash.

I am the Queen of always answering the best gift to give stewards/bartenders etc on the ships is cash.

May I please apply for a job as your lady-in-waiting?:p

I've been telling folks the same thing, for decades now. The best presents you can give your crew are pictures of dead presidents (and, some president wanna-be's ;)).

I agree that cash is the best tip to give. A note to the hotel director is also a great way to commend your room steward and waitstaff.

I also carry a supply of very small pins ( Canadian Maple Leaf as I Am Canadian ) and give them out. Most are very happy to be given one and many pin it on right away or show me next time I see them that they are proud to be wearing it. I have seen others that I may not have had interaction with eyeing the pins when I am giving it out and they are very appreciative when I offer them one too.

Yes this is a good one along with $$$.

VOLMOMA.....Your heart is in the right place!:p

Yes this is a good one along with $$$.

VOLMOMA.....Your heart is in the right place!:p

Poor gal. She actually asked how to delete a thread. Almost all told her not to get this deleted because it's a good topic for discussion.