Carnival no longer out of NY?

emmak8

Absolutely! :)

I was asking in reference to the post about sailing new ship out of New York being the reason that NCL and RCCL were successful in doing so year round. Not sure of the Gem's age but it can't be a spring chicken.

Actually....none. That being said I have eaten on three NCL ships. Cagney's can't hold a candle to the Carnival steakhouse. Their rooms beyond tiny, so much so that in many the sink from the bathroom is in the bedroom. The hallways are enormously tiny. They are trying to get everyone to buy into the "new" meal plans. They have had significant price increases over the last two years. They have become synonymous with nickel and diming within the industry. They are phasing in a alas carte pricing for all their for pay restaurants. Lastly and most importantly, go over to the NCL board and see what the cruisers are saying about them.

Well, with NONE, I don't see how you have any credibility. So you are just rehashing what other posters are stating- who HAVE sailed NCL? Selecting all the negative posts? There are also many positive posts which you chose to also ignore.

Three "meals"? I can have 3 lackluster meals on ALL of the regular cruise lines, and I have sailed them all, multiple times with now 107 cruises.

Edited by Budget Queen

The Epic is my favorite ship, not sure why you think it sucks. Going on the Jade in Oct, I know it can't be any worse than the Fantasy-class ships.

Have you spent a night in the 128sf inside cabins where the toilet and shower (and those in them) are visible in the room? Almost all deck space taken for kiddie stuff. View of the aft blocked by the TV screen. 15x20 ft adult pool while the kids have 3 or 4 pools. MDR service was crap in both the Manhattan and Taste Dining Rooms, no 24/7 pizza (and what they do have is crap compared to Carnival's pizza), and on, and on, and on......

Hope you enjoy that new 18% service charge at the specialty restaurant as well since they removed those servers from the DSC pool (while raising the price of the DSC as well).

Truthfully, I hope you have a great cruise and enjoy the Jade but I have no intentions of ever stepping foot back onto an NCL ship. With of course Carnival, and RCCL, Princess, HAL, and Celebrity to choose from I just can't understand why anyone would choose NCL but to each their own.

Edited by Out to sea!

Well, with NONE, I don't see how you have any credibility. So you are just rehashing what other posters are stating- who HAVE sailed NCL?

Three "meals"? I can have 3 lackluster meals on ALL of the regular cruise lines, and I have sailed them all, multiple times with now 107 cruises.

So for the sake of discussion, I would be totally credible if I had sailed them?

How is 120 per day for NCL with UBP vs 156 a day on glory WITHOUT Cheers a higher cruise price?:D

Have no idea what you are booking since you didn't provide specifics but first of all, UBP doesn't mean squat to someone who drinks 2 beers on a 7 night cruise and secondly I've never spent more than $100 a night for ANY of the cruises you see below my name so I think you're getting ripped off with either of those prices.

In fact, for my 19th cruise, I will for the first time ever spend more than $100 a night (about $115) to get a Havana inside on the Vista in 2017. And I had to choke hard to do that and most likely wouldn't have except we're sailing with friends who have a Havana balcony and we're across the hall from them.

Edited by Out to sea!

I was asking in reference to the post about sailing new ship out of New York being the reason that NCL and RCCL were successful in doing so year round. Not sure of the Gem's age but it can't be a spring chicken.

10/1/2007 only splendor & dream class are newer

So for the sake of discussion, I would be totally credible if I had sailed them?

Well first hand reports are certainly more valid, and YOU stand alone with YOUR comments. Not piggybacking on to others since you don't have any of your own. You chose to just group together as many negative posts and "ideas", and totally dismissing the positive posts, that could have equally been a selection.

Well first hand reports are certainly more valid, and YOU stand alone with YOUR comments. Not piggybacking on to others since you don't have any of your own. You chose to just group together as many negative posts and "ideas", and totally dismissing the positive posts, that could have equally been a selection.

No he doesn't. I have sailed the Epic and think she is butt ugly as well, along with most of the new NCL ships. I truly wonder how the things stay afloat and aren't blown over in the slightest wind.

BTW, the are many pics of all cruise ships located all over the web. So commenting on the outside of the ship's appearance can be easily made without having ever stepped foot on the ship.

Edited by Out to sea!

So.....since you asked I will tell you my thoughts on NCL. The rooms are tiny, maybe not meaningful to you , but it is to me. Putting part of a bathroom in the bedroom is not what I think of as something I would enjoy. The food was blah, true, as you mention it was only 3 meals, but it represented 100% of what I had (and I was part of a group they were trying to impress. The steak from Cagney's was probably worst I have had a cruise. They are known throughout the industry for hitting up for money at every opportunity (nickel and dime'ing). Their main thread on CC is not full of happy cruiser's right now. Even on the Breakaway, I felt like I was in Vegas when I toured the ship, with the dinner shows etc. There are many on my list of cruise lines to try, and NCL is near the bottom. While I have not sailed 107 cruises, I have sailed 35 (not sure what that has to with anything but you showed me yours, so I thought I should do likewise;)).

Lastly and most importantly, our customers whom have sailed them tell me they for the most part, feel the same way that I do, after completing their cruise. We can move on, but for what it is worth, I don't post just negative comments here, or the NCL board, or the RCCL board etc. (although here are a lot of people who do just that. I stand by what I post. They had a chance to impress me and did not (in a big way). Whose post did I dismiss?

BTW I stand by my comments, alone is up for discussion as well.

Edited by jimbo5544

I am in no way a Carnival Cheerleader, however I like what I get for my money. I get a lot more options of free food and I think they stop at great ports.

I will go anywhere that doesn't require me to cook, clean, or do anything work related. NCL IMOP has all these great places to eat (and just like carnival its the same thing every cruise) however I think they charge too much money for it. If I am already paying a high price for the cruise, and then I have to pay for everything I want to eat it isn't worth it. I am happy with the food that carnival has given. I have sailed NCL Jewel, Gem, Breakaway. Carnival Sensation, Miracle, Conquest and up next is Dream.

I don't have anything agaisnt NCL however it isn't for me.

Those cruise lines are great for people who like to overpay and get nickel and dimed to death.

You could argue that CCL is a great cruise line for people who like to be stranded at sea for days without hot food, running water or functioning toilets. :p

Edited by YankeeFan4Ever

Just to go on a tangent, I think a lot has to do with the North American Emission Control Area (ECA) and the required use of low sulfur fuel and having to bunker two different types of fuel. Leaving out of Florida you exit the ECA almost right away. Leaving out of NYC you are within the 200 mile limit going almost anywhere.

NCL also tends to "push" there ships more if you will. 7 day southern itinerary out of NYC for NCL is 7 days where Carnival will do almost the same in 8 never 7.

I believe NCL operates their ships at a faster speed?

When the ECA started Carnival cut a lot of their 4/5 Day Canada cruises. They did one on July 4th weekend and then a few in the fall at that was it.

Rarely do they to to Bermuda, NCL and RCL do all the time, they actually travel in sight of each other on some cruises out of NYC.

Even Princess has cut almost all of their NYC sailings. Kept their one way Quebec (each way) but not many Bermuda.

Guessing ECA played an impact on NYC.

FWIW

Just to go on a tangent, I think a lot has to do with the North American Emission Control Area (ECA) and the required use of low sulfur fuel and having to bunker two different types of fuel. Leaving out of Florida you exit the ECA almost right away. Leaving out of NYC you are within the 200 mile limit going almost anywhere.

NCL also tends to "push" there ships more if you will. 7 day southern itinerary out of NYC for NCL is 7 days where Carnival will do almost the same in 8 never 7.

When the ECA started Carnival cut a lot of their 4/5 Day Canada cruises. They did one on July 4th weekend and then a few in the fall at that was it.

Rarely do they to to Bermuda, NCL and RCL do all the time, they actually travel in sight of each other on some cruises out of NYC.

Even Princess has cut almost all of their NYC sailings. Kept their one way Quebec (each way) but not many Bermuda.

FWIW

It certainly had a part to play in Carnival (among others) cutting back specifically from ports where they needed to cruise a lot in waters where if they were in violation of the act. Carnival has added scrubbers to many ships to negate that as a reason.

Food is so subjective. I think in the MDR both lines have food of similar mediocrity. I think the specialty restaurants are great on NCL. I also think Carnival's steakhouse is great. Since NCL has more specialty restaurants I would have to give them an edge. A lot of people don't talk about lunch food, but for the ships that have Guy's burgers, I would give Carnival the edge there. It is a tasty burger. I do vastly prefer Freestyle dining, but Carnival does have anytime.

IMO, NCL gets a huge advantage in entertainment, and not just in the main theater. I like Carnival, but their entertainment is laughable. Their CDs will even call a show "hokey" in their announcements, and that's exactly what they are. I will say that my last Carnival cruise had much better lounge performers than previous ones. I enjoy live music. It certainly seemed like Carnival made a concerted effort to improve in that area. It used to be really bad. So that makes both lines equal in lounge acts, but NCL has the dueling pianos and an additional club with live music, which gives them an edge. I think Carnival has better comedy shows. NCL has gone with Second City Comedy Improv, and it's really not that good, and greatly depends on the audience. Stand-up works better on a ship.

Carnival has a better kid's club if you ask my 5 year old. I really like what they have done with the Dr. Seuss stuff. Much better integration than NCL with Nick, and they are losing that at the end of the year.

NCL blows Carnival away in the emerging solo cruiser market. They really cater to them. NCL also blows Carnival away for cruisers that want a true luxury experience with their Haven suites. Yes, you pay for it, but it's an option that Carnival just doesn't have.

Finally, I think you have to give an edge to NCL in the fleet itself. The Epic was a mistake. I've only seen pictures, but it is an ugly ship that apparently has a wired bathroom setup. It is of course no uglier than any of the Carnival -tion class ships. The onboard experience on the Epic still looks great though. NCL has a newer fleet overall, and they are pumping out a new ship nearly every year. I don't know what Carnival's plans are after the Vista. Since we are talking about sailing out of NYC, I can get on a fairly new NCL ship by driving. Flying adds to the cost of my cruise, and I would have to fly to get on any Carnival ship built in this decade.

Dollar for dollar I prefer NCL, but I'll still sail on Carnival out of Baltimore because it is sometimes incredibly affordable and it doesn't get more convenient.

FWIW

Carnival did initially pull out of Baltimore over this, but some kind of deal was cut and they put scrubbers on the Pride during dry dock. I was on the Pride in February of last year when they announced that they reached a deal to return to sailing year round from Baltimore.

Some people can't afford a flight on top of a cruise so they have to make do with cruising from Baltimore

This is true, but this is also why I think NYC is an important port. Airlines now charge baggage fees and they have become unreliable. You really have to fly in the night before and pay for a hotel. Because of the Key Bridge, a Spirit class ship is as big as it gets for Baltimore, but NYC can get the mega ships, which are obviously popular. If Carnival put a Vista class ship in NYC year round, it would sell out and sell for more than it would in Florida. Florida has tons of competition driving down prices. The local residents also earn less than those in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. NYC is also attractive for international cruisers. They come and stay a few days in NYC before or after. If I'm from another country and I want to come to the US for a cruise, I want to see the Big Apple before I see Miami. You also have the whole month of December where NYC is like no other place on earth. I'm from Baltimore, but I love everything about NY except their sports teams. It's a great place to cruise from other than their ridiculous parking fee, but Carnival isn't going to compete with Breakaway and Quantum class ships with a ship built last century.

Sunshine will sailing out of New York beginning June 21.

I though that the Sunshine was still sailing out of Port Canaveral. Compared to the other lines, Sunshine in no way will be able to compete in the New York Market, unless they offer deep deep discounts.

This is true, but this is also why I think NYC is an important port. Airlines now charge baggage fees and they have become unreliable. You really have to fly in the night before and pay for a hotel. Because of the Key Bridge, a Spirit class ship is as big as it gets for Baltimore, but NYC can get the mega ships, which are obviously popular. If Carnival put a Vista class ship in NYC year round, it would sell out and sell for more than it would in Florida. Florida has tons of competition driving down prices. The local residents also earn less than those in the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast. NYC is also attractive for international cruisers. They come and stay a few days in NYC before or after. If I'm from another country and I want to come to the US for a cruise, I want to see the Big Apple before I see Miami. You also have the whole month of December where NYC is like no other place on earth. I'm from Baltimore, but I love everything about NY except their sports teams. It's a great place to cruise from other than their ridiculous parking fee, but Carnival isn't going to compete with Breakaway and Quantum class ships with a ship built last century.

Carnival should put one in NY. I agree. It would probably the only time I would ever get to see it..

They should put a new awesome ship in nyc for sure, I've only sailed out of ny on rccl but that was a autism cruise with my son we got as a grant

I'm doing the pride again only because it's s journey cruise we got for free. I'd much rather be on a new ship

But I'm also not passing up a free cruise

They should put a new awesome ship in nyc for sure, I've only sailed out of ny on rccl but that was a autism cruise with my son we got as a grant

I'm doing the pride again only because it's s journey cruise we got for free. I'd much rather be on a new ship

But I'm also not passing up a free cruise

The Pride is definitely a great ship for free. It's a great ship for what they charge for it. The balcony rooms are very reasonable. The 2.0 upgrades are great. The only problem is they make the 1.0 parts of the ship seem that much more dated.

Don't know how the discussion switched from Carnival sailing out of NYC to the comparisons of NCL and Carnival but I'll bite.

40 years ago nothing, and I mean nothing, was as grand as a cruise on Norwegian Cruise Line with their scandinavian staff, their spit and polish hand carved wood interiors, their 5 course meals where almost everyone had their own waiter, the old world charm. If you were lucky enough to sail Norwegian it was a "real" cruise and basically ruined you from ever thinking any other cruise could measure up. And then the fall...now the beautiful thing that was is the horrendously ugly, slightly grubby, ill-managed, ill conceived, NCL that can't begin to hold a candle to its own history. And that is where NCL has failed...it has fallen so far that many of us can't stand to even step on its decks because the new has completely obliterated the wonderful cruise line of old and we don't want our memories forever soiled.

If NCL were the only cruise line left to travel on my days of cruising would come to a complete halt where once upon a time I would have eaten chili for a year to get the chance to cruise with them. So sad!