Carnival no longer out of NY?

emmak8

True and sadly an end of an era. Rusted out hulk to bad they could not do something like they did with the QM.

Dont know if they make any money out of her but queen mary hotel was a very interesting place to stay when we were there last year.

Shame they let this ocean liner rust out like this

Dont know if they make any money out of her but queen mary hotel was a very interesting place to stay when we were there last year.

Shame they let this ocean liner rust out like this

Agree on both counts. We did the Splendor a few years back out of Long Beach with a group and went out in a limb a bit and we stayed or rubies on the QM. They had a blast, albeit somewhat unique.

I count 2: Splendor & Triumph. Not to mention another tragic incident that happened under the CCL umbrella...

CCL (Carnival Cruise Line) doesn't have an umbrella. Carnival Corporation (CC) does.

Still not much compared to NCL's day to day issues. I'd take 5 night on the Triumph at half power than 5 nights on a fully operational NCL ship any day of the week.

I to have assume you forgot about the Breakaway getting towed back into port as well, huh?

Edited by Out to sea!

That will be bad. Cheap cruises out of NY attracts the wrong crowd.

Fool me once......

Sail out of NYC in January .... When cruises are dirt cheap....and you will be very very impressed on the high quality of the pax

Sailed ncl ba 12 day in jan 2015 and I was amazed....incredible pax.....made friends....loved it....doing the gem 10 day in jan 2016

Both cruises dirt cheap and ba was wonderful and warm by day 2

Sailed ccl victory to Canada 5 day August 2007....no comment

Sailed ccl freedom in the med July 2008....great crowd great everything

Btw lived in tri state area all my life and very little about the demographics bother me but truth is in NYC cruising .....the time of year matters.... with relation to the type of cruiser you meet ..... Be it ncl or ccl

Cruise the med .....ncl or ccl.....and you are pretty much guaranteed to meet a nice crowd

Sent from my iPad using Forums

CCL (Carnival Cruise Line) doesn't have an umbrella. Carnival Corporation (CC) does.

Still not much compared to NCL's day to day issues. I'd take 5 night on the Triumph at half power than 5 nights on a fully operational NCL ship any day of the week.

I to have assume you forgot about the Breakaway getting towed back into port as well, huh?

5 nights on the triumph with half power? Versus a fully operational ncl ship?

Your way of cruising sounds ....um.....delusional

Sent from my iPad using Forums

At one point there was rumblings here in Baltimore of moving the cruise port to the other side of the Key Bridge so bigger ships could sail from here. There is an abandoned steel mill area called Sparrows Point that could really use the revitalization. I don't know if there is still talk of that, but I think it's a great idea.

The problem with the mill and shipyard at Sparrows Point is that they were a steel mill and shipyard. They are toxic black holes. It would require a huge investment into environmental remediation before any use could be considered there, which is why it has languished.

I remember when a much smaller shipyard in Jacksonville was reclaimed for use, and it required total removal of the top 20-30 feet of earth from the site and proper disposal in certified toxic waste sites.

The problem with the mill and shipyard at Sparrows Point is that they were a steel mill and shipyard. They are toxic black holes. It would require a huge investment into environmental remediation before any use could be considered there, which is why it has languished.

I remember when a much smaller shipyard in Jacksonville was reclaimed for use, and it required total removal of the top 20-30 feet of earth from the site and proper disposal in certified toxic waste sites.

Did a tour of Sparrow point about 15 years ago and it is huge. Surprised Bethlehem was not required to fix the problems they made.

Philadelphia spent 12 years trying to land a cruise ship. I think the problem is that it is too close to NYC and Baltimore. My issue with Philly is that it's a city with the size and expense of NYC without all of the fun stuff. Baltimore would literally be dead in the water if we weren't 30 miles from Washington DC.

You don't know much about Philly. It is considerably less expensive than NYC and has plenty of things to do. In fact, a DC paper just called Philly one of America's great food cities.

Wouldnt like a cruise on a ship operating on half power no matter which one it was.

Ironic that you ask. The last time I looked, NCL owned the SS United States.

No, it is owned by the SS United States Conservancy. Wish them good luck in trying to restore it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No, it is owned by the SS United States Conservancy. Wish them good luck in trying to restore it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am sure there are many issues, but it seems a shame to have such a wonderful icon of an ocean liner, rot away. Wish them well also!

Not wading into the whole NCL vs CCL discussion, but I did want to make a comment on the original topic - sailing out of NYC in the winter.

I'm Carnival gal - I just like Carnival for a bunch of reasons. I would love to sail from NYC in the winter if the cruise was longer - 10-12 days. That would make the cold start off and finish up worthwhile. I wouldn't mind the cold days if the cruise went further south into the Caribbean.

I would prefer the Splendor, but I would do one of their other newer ships. (I don't think I'm going to like the Sunshine from what I've heard). I'm just not into the really huge ships with all their bells and whistles. Give me a balcony room and some decent food and I'm good to go.

We recently did the Pride and I thought it was a great ship! We had a fantastic cruise, but I don't think I want to drive to Baltimore in the winter and I certainly don't want to fly to cruise. Flying is such a hassle anymore. It's a stressful way to start a vacation. If I'm flying, I'm going to Bermuda!

I am sure there are many issues, but it seems a shame to have such a wonderful icon of an ocean liner, rot away. Wish them well also!

If you want to know things about the US, go to the "What ever happened to" thread, and PhillySteve is a member of the Conservancy. Unfortunately, the US is just a shell. Virtually all of the interiors were torn out in Turkey decades ago, when she was over there for asbestos remediation. The steel of the hull is in good condition, but no one in their right mind would attempt to operate the steam power plant in today's fuel market. This is the roadblock NCL ran into when they owned her, and the Conservancy fought in court that the power plant was what made the ship unique. So, you could either have a museum piece of steam engineering, or you could gut it and install diesel-electric power and have an operating ship. This was Colin Veitch's dream, but I always thought it was a little unrealistic. Another reason NCL bought the ship, as well as the old Independence and Constitution, was so that no other cruise line would have the opportunity to have a US constructed cruise ship.

That's interesting, and I never thought of it. Do you know anything about what sized ship could pass under the Bay Bridge?

If you want to know things about the US, go to the "What ever happened to" thread, and PhillySteve is a member of the Conservancy. Unfortunately, the US is just a shell. Virtually all of the interiors were torn out in Turkey decades ago, when she was over there for asbestos remediation. The steel of the hull is in good condition, but no one in their right mind would attempt to operate the steam power plant in today's fuel market. This is the roadblock NCL ran into when they owned her, and the Conservancy fought in court that the power plant was what made the ship unique. So, you could either have a museum piece of steam engineering, or you could gut it and install diesel-electric power and have an operating ship. This was Colin Veitch's dream, but I always thought it was a little unrealistic. Another reason NCL bought the ship, as well as the old Independence and Constitution, was so that no other cruise line would have the opportunity to have a US constructed cruise ship.

Very interesting and as always thanks.

I've read that the current plan is to turn it into shops/hotel and move it to NYC. It seems they are selling interior scrap to pay for the continued docking fees. It's a very interesting ship. I recommend anyone with a slight interest in naval history Google it and read up on it.